Home Court Advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just need some advice. I'm a third year medical student and I eventually want to do a 2 yr plastics fellowship. I figured that I prob dont have a great shot at integrated plastics. Right now, I'm thinking of doing either ENT or general surg. Do schools have a home team advantage philosophy on taking residents from their own school or ppl doing research there? Are there any known "incestuous" schools which have a rep for taking their own applicants or any places which have a rep for good research in plastics that can get hookups for residents. Does the reputation of the school have a significant part of the match outcome. I'm really caught here. Thanks for your advice.

Good luck to all applicants and have hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my take on it, but this is just what I've heard along the way.
1. First off, consider that ENT is actually quite competitive. Yes, integrated plastics is a more competitive match, but the majority of successful ENT applicants have strong boards and research.
2. Secondly, consider that it may be more challenging to match a plastics fellowship out of ENT. You would be very attractive to programs that have strong craniofacial programs, but many programs have strong burn, hand, etc. Plus there's that whole political issue between GS-PS vs. ENT-PS. Whatever.
3. A strong "known quantity" is usually viewed better than a "strong on paper" unknown quantity. You will always likely have homecourt advantage as long as you perform well. That being said, most good gen surg programs have pretty decent plastics fellowship placement.
4. When you apply for GS (or ENT), choose programs than do *not* have integrated plastics programs but do have strong plastics fellowships. Otherwise you're at the mercy of a fellowship-level spot magically appearing at your home school.
5. Get your foot in the door early. Many programs will have interns rotate on plastics or burn. Show you're interested, work your butt off, make them remember you, make connections, try to get in on research projects. Impress the pants off them.
6. I'm not sure of specific programs that may be incestuous. As for GS programs that are receptive to your interest in plastics, look at Indiana Univ, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Emory, UIC, to name a few.
Hope this helps a little!
sd

DZT said:
Hi guys. I just need some advice. I'm a third year medical student and I eventually want to do a 2 yr plastics fellowship. I figured that I prob dont have a great shot at integrated plastics. Right now, I'm thinking of doing either ENT or general surg. Do schools have a home team advantage philosophy on taking residents from their own school or ppl doing research there? Are there any known "incestuous" schools which have a rep for taking their own applicants or any places which have a rep for good research in plastics that can get hookups for residents. Does the reputation of the school have a significant part of the match outcome. I'm really caught here. Thanks for your advice.

Good luck to all applicants and have hope.