Holy moly look at all these jobs!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wtf, z, you's in philly and didn't see me and old timer? you suck.

I will take care of you M&Ms next time. Was just passing through.

Members don't see this ad.

Lower half of Texas will be part of Mexico soon.

I swear it's like going to a foreign country, and I don't mean that in the Republic of Texas way.

Members don't see this ad :)
texas is the best weather, it's dry heat and not even humid where I live. WHen it is 90's the wind is blowing so much it feels like 75-80's.

You don't live in Houston, I take it.

I swear it's like going to a foreign country, and I don't mean that in the Republic of Texas way.

Have you been to mexico? You really think lower half of Tx is like mexico? Having a larger than average population of hispanics and hispanic americans doesn't make it like mexico. If that's the case how's it any different than Ca or any other locales of the US heavily populated with non white majority of population. People like you make me sick.

Nice. :rolleyes:

Have you been to mexico? You really think lower half of Tx is like mexico? Having a larger than average population of hispanics and hispanic americans doesn't make it like mexico. If that's the case how's it any different than Ca or any other locales of the US heavily populated with non white majority of population. People like you make me sick.

:thumbup:

Classic example of people fearing what they don't know or understand.

Having lived in Mexico for 6 years...I can assure you you are completely clueless.

yea, but any resulting tsunamis tends to **** stuff up

Domestically speaking, I don't believe a majority of people on the east coast lose sleep over the thought of earthquakes...that may not necessary be true for the west coast though.

Nah... we don't really lose that much sleep over it, only when I came to the east coast did I realize people actually feared those things. Yeah, sure, you're a bit paranoid for like a few weeks after a big one hits, but then you kinda forget about them.

I think it's also part denial on our end.

Besides, tsunamis have only hit the extreme north coast (near OR), and the faults right off the coast don't readily produce them. Plus the warning systems are in place for long-distance tsunamis such that we have ample time to find high ground.

178 people dead in a single tornado would be very high. What we've had recently is an outbreak of multiple tornadoes across an entire region. Usually when a tornado hits, it tears up a single neighborhood or area and no one dies. Plus, tornadoes (the usual variety - not this outbreak business) are pretty common in this area of the country, so we get accustomed to the sirens, etc.

Earthquakes are rarer and affect a larger geographic area and kill more people at one time. I think that's why they are considered more frightening.

Yeah but it was from the same storm, so I count it as one event. It's like counting aftershocks as part of the main shake (which usually is done anyway). So I still stand by my number that one storm's death toll is still greater than my quakes back home, even before you adjust for population density.

Ah I found the image I was alluding to in my post:

dn16287-3_500.jpg

link to article: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16287-death-map-usa-natural-disaster-hotspots-revealed.html

I guess the fear is that heatwaves, hurricanes, and tornadoes are more survivable if you can a) afford it or b) prepare enough (ie backup generators for a/c, ability to evac, etc...) whereas a quake seems more random/unknown & no amount of preparation will assist you if a building comes tumbling down.

My argument there is a quake is no different from these other disasters in that you can prepare for them too via strict building codes, retrofitting, and other prep.

The death toll (near 300 people now) isn't from ONE storm. It's a series of storms in a 24 hour time period over multiple states in the South. I think that's way different from an earthquake that kills a bunch of people within minutes. And a storm outbreak and aftershocks really aren't comparable, IMO. We've had storms/watches/warnings almost every day for the last week or so. They aren't the same storm. On Easter I was in a "radar indicated tornado" at my family's home in Western Kentucky. Six hours later, at my home (2.5 hours east but same state) I was under tornado/flash flood watch. Totally different storm system.

This recent outbreak of storms is very, very unusual in terms of death toll. I've lived through major (F4 and greater) tornadoes where no one died. Or people died in the flash floods after the storms, which is a lot more common.

Tornadoes, heatwaves and hurricanes are way different in terms of forewarning and survivability. You can't "evacuate" ahead of a tornado. Not enough warning. Many times, people have no warning, especially if it's at night and in an area without sirens. Even if there is warning, people who live in mobile homes (very common in the South) or in houses without basements are in a lot more danger.

Aurora, CO is a nice burb next to denver. I grew up there, hit the Red Rocks and beyond in the mtns for good scenery.

Boulder has a bunch of pot heads, when i did a rotation out there heard they don't drug screen employees at walgreens in boulder cuz there some liberal law in the city that prevents them. Not a lot of corporate big shots in boulder either, they more about independent stores. Also a lot of pot dispenseries in denver in the vietnamese district on federal st, actually went in and was talking to the guy and he said they sell 43 different types of MJ and told me if i wanted a rx i should go across the street to see a dr that gives out the MJ cards/registration to buy. haha.

What do you think about Garden of the Gods/Colorado Springs area? Worth checking out?

5D Mark II is here. Time to say goodbye to my 5Dc and Kiss X4.

Members don't see this ad :)
The death toll (near 300 people now) isn't from ONE storm. It's a series of storms in a 24 hour time period over multiple states in the South. I think that's way different from an earthquake that kills a bunch of people within minutes. And a storm outbreak and aftershocks really aren't comparable, IMO. We've had storms/watches/warnings almost every day for the last week or so. They aren't the same storm. On Easter I was in a "radar indicated tornado" at my family's home in Western Kentucky. Six hours later, at my home (2.5 hours east but same state) I was under tornado/flash flood watch. Totally different storm system.

This recent outbreak of storms is very, very unusual in terms of death toll. I've lived through major (F4 and greater) tornadoes where no one died. Or people died in the flash floods after the storms, which is a lot more common.

Tornadoes, heatwaves and hurricanes are way different in terms of forewarning and survivability. You can't "evacuate" ahead of a tornado. Not enough warning. Many times, people have no warning, especially if it's at night and in an area without sirens. Even if there is warning, people who live in mobile homes (very common in the South) or in houses without basements are in a lot more danger.

Fair point, but I would argue that the frequency of storm activities in any given area where tornadoes are endemic will outcompete earthquakes and their death tolls over a 100 year period (in the US at least).

And I was under the impression it's the same low pressure system moving from one part of the country to another spawning all this madness, hence why I say "same storm." Chaulk it up to the weather guy on TV telling us we're getting thunderstorms "from the same system that wreaked havoc on the south." Was it two storms with a few days break between them? I can't remember.

As for evacuation, I was referring to hurricanes. Really I was alluding to the idea that "I have money, I can outrun/outbuild this thing." Which is true to some extent for certain disasters. If you have money, you can afford to a) build a proper shelter from tornadoes, b) evacuate early in a reliable car to some hotel out of the storm's path, c) not live in a flood prone area to begin with.

I'm trying to get at the psychology of why some disasters are "worse" than others. Is it because you're used to them? Because others are unknown/"unbeatable?" I just feel like the fear of earthquakes is kind of out of proportion sometimes.

Kind of reminds me of an behavioral economics class I took on irrationality and what happens to demand curves when the chance of a large reward is infinitesimally small (like a lotto). It gets wonky, I feel like that's what's happening here.

Regular or Cajun style?

Go cajun style or go home. The regular ones are for the lame people.

So my random thought for the day, why are people so afraid of earthquakes? I was tooling around the interwebz and apparently the death toll from tornadoes this week hit 178, which is like 3x the # of people who died in the last california quake (Northridge 1994, 57) or the one before that (Loma Prieta 1989, 63).

Doesn't make any sense...

I don't like the lack of warning in earthquakes. At least with tornadoes you've been under a tornado watch for a few hours and when you do finally get a tornado warning you have a few minutes to take cover. Earthquakes just happen. I've also always lived in tornado alley, so I'm used to it.

Plus All4MyDaughter already explained how the recent tornado outbreaks are definitely not the norm when it comes to tornadoes, so I'm not going to repeat it, but with your logic it would be like assuming all hurricanes are like Katrina or all earthquakes are like the one that hit Japan not too long ago. We had several tornadoes around DFW from that storm system before it went through the southeast yesterday, but it probably never made the news outside of here because nobody died and the damage was pretty minimal.

Fair point, but I would argue that the frequency of storm activities in any given area where tornadoes are endemic will outcompete earthquakes and their death tolls over a 100 year period (in the US at least).

And I was under the impression it's the same low pressure system moving from one part of the country to another spawning all this madness, hence why I say "same storm." Chaulk it up to the weather guy on TV telling us we're getting thunderstorms "from the same system that wreaked havoc on the south." Was it two storms with a few days break between them? I can't remember.

As for evacuation, I was referring to hurricanes. Really I was alluding to the idea that "I have money, I can outrun/outbuild this thing." Which is true to some extent for certain disasters. If you have money, you can afford to a) build a proper shelter from tornadoes, b) evacuate early in a reliable car to some hotel out of the storm's path, c) not live in a flood prone area to begin with.

I'm trying to get at the psychology of why some disasters are "worse" than others. Is it because you're used to them? Because others are unknown/"unbeatable?" I just feel like the fear of earthquakes is kind of out of proportion sometimes.

Kind of reminds me of an behavioral economics class I took on irrationality and what happens to demand curves when the chance of a large reward is infinitesimally small (like a lotto). It gets wonky, I feel like that's what's happening here.

It would be interesting to compare tornado and earthquake death tolls over a certain time period. I do know that the kind of casualties that we've seen from the recent storm outbreak is very rare.

I think I fear tornadoes and storms more than earthquakes. And I've lived through a TON more tornadoes. I've never experienced a major earthquake. But my heart pounds whenever the sirens go off and I absolutely HATE being outside (especially in a car) during stormy weather.

As far as people with money not living in a flood prone area, it's interesting to note that some of the most flood prone areas in my city (the upper river area) also contain some of the highest SES zip codes in the region.

As far as people with money not living in a flood prone area, it's interesting to note that some of the most flood prone areas in my city (the upper river area) also contain some of the highest SES zip codes in the region.

Kind of like million dollar homes on hillsides. I read something and a geologist was quoted as saying, "All hills want to be flat."

I think the only place I'd build is Mt. Rushmore, apparently it's stable enough that they think it will outlast the human race. It'll be like our own Easter Island. :idea:

I don't understand why people feel obligated to jack my threads into off topics.

Go cajun style or go home. The regular ones are for the lame people.

I don't like the lack of warning in earthquakes. At least with tornadoes you've been under a tornado watch for a few hours and when you do finally get a tornado warning you have a few minutes to take cover. Earthquakes just happen. I've also always lived in tornado alley, so I'm used to it.

Hell to the yes for cajun fries.

As for fear, see I'd be in fear the moment there's a tornado watch (as A4M mentioned above me). With a quake, when it starts shaking, there's that moment in your head where you think "am I going to die today?" then the thing subsides and you go back to having lunch. So it's like 4 seconds of fear vs. 3 hours of watchful waiting.

But if it IS the big one, then it's all adrenaline from there and you duck for the nearest table.

Hell to the yes for cajun fries.

As for fear, see I'd be in fear the moment there's a tornado watch (as A4M mentioned above me). With a quake, when it starts shaking, there's that moment in your head where you think "am I going to die today?" then the thing subsides and you go back to having lunch. So it's like 4 seconds of fear vs. 3 hours of watchful waiting.

But if it IS the big one, then it's all adrenaline from there and you duck for the nearest table.

No cajun fries!!!

Yep, I get scared whenever the watch starts. And sometimes it lasts for hours. Hell, sometimes the warnings last for a long time because they call them when "conditions are right" to produce tornadoes for for "radar indicated" tornadoes. The other night they kept turning the sirens on and off and we couldn't decide whether to stay in the basement or go to bed. And our basement is crappy. Our next home is going to have a finished basement with a nice bedroom and comfy couches/TV/minifridge.

My animals also get all riled up when the weather is bad. That makes it hard for me to relax when they are running around. My poodle cries constantly. Today it's only windy here and he's been growling pretty much all day. Shut it, dog! :smuggrin:

What do you think about Garden of the Gods/Colorado Springs area? Worth checking out?

The best place ever to live or visit! I would go back to the Springs in a second. I used to work at a store just outside of Garden of the Gods. I used to ride my motorcycle over there and eat lunch (yes, as a union Pharmacist we got an hour lunch everyday).

I don't understand why people feel obligated to jack my threads into off topics.

This was a doomed thread anyway...there are no jobs in Dallas you fool! Well a couple of postions open with Tom Thumb and one or two with Kroger...not that those are great prospects. Kroger is always looking for people in East Texas. They are still offering a sign on bonus and premium pay if you work out there.

That was the case when I lived in Sioux City in the mid 1990s. North Sioux City, SD has a neighborhood called "Dakota Dunes" which is huge McMansions built on sand in the 100-year flood plain. People wanted to live there because it was sooooooooo pretty.

:rolleyes:

As for the OP, chances are, they were copied from want ads and those jobs were filled before they ever appeared on the website.

That was the case when I lived in Sioux City in the mid 1990s. North Sioux City, SD has a neighborhood called "Dakota Dunes" which is huge McMansions built on sand in the 100-year flood plain. People wanted to live there because it was sooooooooo pretty.

:rolleyes:

As for the OP, chances are, they were copied from want ads and those jobs were filled before they ever appeared on the website.

The rich people who live in our flood-prone area at least build their houses substantially. Some of them are even constructed on stilts. I don't know that the beauty of living there would outweigh (for me) the inconvenience of having to evacuate periodically, having the yard completely ruined, etc.

I didn't even really read the OP.

This was a doomed thread anyway...there are no jobs in Dallas you fool! Well a couple of postions open with Tom Thumb and one or two with Kroger...not that those are great prospects. Kroger is always looking for people in East Texas. They are still offering a sign on bonus and premium pay if you work out there.

What is actually considered "East Texas"? When I look at the map Houston, Dallas, and Austin all look as if they are on the eastern side of the state. It would seem as if West Texas would have a higher need as it is so remote from all the major cities? Just curious...

We all have our preferences. By Mexico or foreign country, I meant I was surrounded by people I couldn't understand when I was in southern Texas. I was taking buses from El Paso to the RGV, and not a single person spoke a word of English the whole time. I don't know about you, but I like to understand what people are saying around me and I come from a family of immigrants who all learned and assimilated to English. Most of the older Hispanic generations in Texas did the same, but the newer arrivals haven't really bothered.

I could care less if that makes you sick. Political correctness without a care for future implications makes me sick too.

We all have our preferences. By Mexico or foreign country, I meant I was surrounded by people I couldn't understand when I was in southern Texas. I was taking buses from El Paso to the RGV, and not a single person spoke a word of English the whole time. I don't know about you, but I like to understand what people are saying around me and I come from a family of immigrants who all learned and assimilated to English. Most of the older Hispanic generations in Texas did the same, but the newer arrivals haven't really bothered.

I could care less if that makes you sick. Political correctness without a care for future implications makes me sick too.

Oh the irony.. someone without a full grasp of native language complaining about Mexicans..

And you rode bus.. sorry..didn't realize I was dealing with a low class person...I forgive you.

Though, I doubt your family of immigrants who were first gen would have been speaking english to each other...but rather speak the native tongue. Just like if you were to immigrate to Mexico tomorrow, would you be speaking Spanish to your immdiate family who didn't speak a word of Spanish?? Sounds like to me a double standard.

Last edited:
Who wants to live in TX?

No income tax sounds nice... especially without having to move back to Florida :scared:

It was 99 degrees this afternoon in San Antonio...yuck

I have been in a bad mood for 2 weeks because it's hot again in Georgia.

I'm moving to FL, one day.. or Coastal CA.

Not a fan of Florida. lol

Still a lot of FL you gotta see! Let me know when you want the keys for the weekend...

Actually... the Keys are probably one of the only places I'd consider moving back to in Florida... they are okay if you have a lot of money, or can live for free and sponge off parents (not as fun, and I wouldn't know about the first one since I'm poor).

Shake Shack is better than In N Out. There, I said it. I felt like **** when I first thought/said that because it's like betraying your best friend, but it's true. But it's only in NYC (and some random spot in FL), so it really doesn't compare.

Shake Shack is in Miami Beach, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the price I'm imagining that they charge for cheeseburgers over there.

So my random thought for the day, why are people so afraid of earthquakes? I was tooling around the interwebz and apparently the death toll from tornadoes this week hit 178, which is like 3x the # of people who died in the last california quake (Northridge 1994, 57) or the one before that (Loma Prieta 1989, 63).

Doesn't make any sense...

I'm petrified of tornadoes. I almost slept in my bathtub Wednesday night.

all4mydaughter, recognise that hat. Saw it at the royal wedding yesterday.
We thought a bit OTT.
johnep

all4mydaughter, recognise that hat. Saw it at the royal wedding yesterday.
We thought a bit OTT.
johnep

The hat and the eye makeup were bad. The rest of Princess Beatrice's outfit wasn't bad. Her sister wasn't much better.

I got up early in the morning to watch the wedding and enjoyed it tremendously!

I hate when people screw this up...I used to get annoyed, but then I thought it was funny

You know what I hate when people screw up? Getting something "off-line". What the heck is off-line and how do you get stuff from it? I guess snail mail could be considered off-line. :shrug:

I used to hear it very infrequently, mostly by people who didn't know a laptop from a DVD player, but I seem to hear it more and more often. It's ON-line people, ON-line!

What is actually considered "East Texas"? When I look at the map Houston, Dallas, and Austin all look as if they are on the eastern side of the state. It would seem as if West Texas would have a higher need as it is so remote from all the major cities? Just curious...

Longview, Tyler, Palasteine, Texarkana are all East Texas. yes there is a big need out West as well. Midland, Odessa, and Wichta Falls for example.

Longview, Tyler, Palasteine, Texarkana are all East Texas. yes there is a big need out West as well. Midland, Odessa, and Wichta Falls for example.

Ehhhh.... I'm not sure I would call Whichta Falls West Texas... it's certainly NorthWest of DFW but San Antonio is further West than WF.

Texas is better described in terms of geographical breakdown.

Panhandle Plains - Amarillo.. Lubbock etc..
Prairies and Lakes - DFW region which probably includes Whichita Falls
Big Bend Country - Way west TX including El Paso
Hill Country - Austin etc
South Texas Plains - King Ranch!
Gulf Coast
&
Piney Woods - where you refer to East Texas

You best know this stuff ....kids will be learning this in school.

I absolutely love the Piney Woods... rolling hills and thick forest. I wouldn't mind living there...about 100 acres of trees and some pasture. I'd be okay with that.

Yeah..get on your moped and putt putt out there... check out the Canton Swap meet on the first weekend of the month too.

Where's the

ritalin-21.jpg

Oh, the water bottle is blocking it :smuggrin:

Blah, coffee is enough for me. If I have a large cup of some bold coffee via my Keurig, it's enough to keep me wired for about > 6 hours.

Hopefully when I start working again this summer and save up some money, I can finally upgrade my prime lens.

Is that actually Dogfish Head in that glass? The 120 Minute IPA is insanely delicious.

Haha, nah..I find drinking and studying at the same time as counterproductive. All my coffee mugs were in the dishwasher so I had to make due with what was available in my cupboard.

I had the 120 in Boston about a month ago during Extreme Beer Fest, it was interesting..definitely gave me chest hair. They've been having some bad luck with their recent 120 IPA batches according to their website.

Interestingly I had bought a case of their 90 minute IPA last semester. Money well spent I'd say.

Haha, nah..I find drinking and studying at the same time as counterproductive. All my coffee mugs were in the dishwasher so I had to make due with what was available in my cupboard.

I had the 120 in Boston about a month ago during Extreme Beer Fest, it was interesting..definitely gave me chest hair. They've been having some bad luck with their recent 120 IPA batches according to their website.

Interestingly I had bought a case of their 90 minute IPA last semester. Money well spent I'd say.

I'll agree with the drinking/studying thing. Although that brings up another point - anyone else find it weird drinking hot beverages from a clear glass? There isn't any conceivable reason that I should, but it freaks me out a little bit.

And the 120 is definitely an interesting experience. I didn't realize what the alcohol content was until 3 bottles later...needless to say, I realized it shortly thereafter. Shame to hear about the manufacturing issues though, that's a damn good beer.

And the 120 is definitely an interesting experience. I didn't realize what the alcohol content was until 3 bottles later...needless to say, I realized it shortly thereafter. Shame to hear about the manufacturing issues though, that's a damn good beer.

haha, what the eff? I noticed the potency after the first sip, I was thinking to myself "this will be an interesting day."

3 bottles?

Beast :thumbup:

the 120min IPA is a much different and , BETTER experience than the 90 minute.

Cant find it very often though :(

the 120min IPA is a much different and , BETTER experience than the 90 minute.

Cant find it very often though :(

Yea I know, it sells like hotcakes. I did find some bottles on eBay going for upwards of 30-40 bucks.

On a further note, when the hell did ebay start allowing beer to be sold...