Holy moly look at all these jobs!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Page Two.

Texas is too close to Mexico for my liking.

Members don't see this ad.

texas is the best weather, it's dry heat and not even humid where I live. WHen it is 90's the wind is blowing so much it feels like 75-80's. I hate snow and was so thankful for my first snowless year in my life.

EDIT: I grilled out all year round...in december, january, and febuary especially! The cold winters here is equal to a mild fall day in the midwest. I felt like I was on vacation in the carribean/mediterranian

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Who wants to live in TX?

About 25 million of us, actually.

If you've never been to Texas, I can bet some of the stereotypes y'all have about it aren't true. Not everyone is as much of a nutjob as Rick Perry. Dallas, Austin, and Houston are actually pretty progressive. Houston just elected an openly gay mayor not too long ago. Plus I'm a fan of the lack of state income tax, CHEAP housing, mild winters, beautiful hill country, and amazing food.

But hey... I'm cool with the anti-TX crowd. I want to move back and work in DFW after school, so that's just more openings for me in four years!

What's with this heat and humidity here in philly?

About 25 million of us, actually.

If you've never been to Texas, I can bet some of the stereotypes y'all have about it aren't true. Not everyone is as much of a nutjob as Rick Perry. Dallas, Austin, and Houston are actually pretty progressive. Houston just elected an openly gay mayor not too long ago. Plus I'm a fan of the lack of state income tax, CHEAP housing, mild winters, beautiful hill country, and amazing food.

But hey... I'm cool with the anti-TX crowd. I want to move back and work in DFW after school, so that's just more openings for me in four years!

long time proud CA resident here and i was impressed with visiting austin and houston. wouldnt mind living there if i dont get a job in CA. ive heard a lot of CA ppl live here too. only problems i have with those places is the lack of good beach and not being within driving range of my fav sports team. with that said i like the southern california atmosphere way too much than austin/houston but thats just me

long time proud CA resident here and i was impressed with visiting austin and houston. wouldnt mind living there if i dont get a job in CA. ive heard a lot of CA ppl live here too. only problems i have with those places is the lack of good beach and not being within driving range of my fav sports team. with that said i like the southern california atmosphere way too much than austin/houston but thats just me

I keep hearing the same thing about Austin...it's basically a california city transplanted in Texas.

I'll have to check it out. My options for relocation are wide open.

I keep hearing the same thing about Austin...it's basically a california city transplanted in Texas.

if you dont mind me asking what area are you trying to leave from?

Members don't see this ad :)
originally orange county, california
aka paradise

currently in philadelphia, pennsylvania
aka not paradise

interesting. you just went from land of In-N-Out to land of Geno's cheese steak

im guessing the Southern CA area is too saturated right now? (hopefully not in the future)

originally orange county, california
aka paradise

currently in philadelphia, pennsylvania
aka not paradise

Speaking of "not paradise", how the hell did you ever make it out of molecular with your sanity intact? That class is bugging me out, it seems that no matter how much I study or listen to the lectures, some of the professors choose to quiz us on the most obscure ****.. The material isn't even difficult, it's like kryptonite. Sometimes after exams, I wish I could just take my clothes iron and smash my face in the hopes that I can land into the 17-20 MMSE range, possibly forgetting where the hell I am...

interesting. you just went from land of In-N-Out to land of Geno's cheese steak

im guessing the Southern CA area is too saturated right now? (hopefully not in the future)

Geno's isn't even that good, its mostly a touristy spot. I did however go to a decent cheese steak joint on south street one time..

My room mate always speaks highly of in and out, he has to settle for 5-guys nowadays :smuggrin:

Y'all really jacked this thread.

Speaking of "not paradise", how the hell did you ever make it out of molecular with your sanity intact? That class is bugging me out, it seems that no matter how much I study or listen to the lectures, some of the professors choose to quiz us on the most obscure ****.. The material isn't even difficult, it's like kryptonite. Sometimes after exams, I wish I could just take my clothes iron and smash my face in the hopes that I can land into the 17-20 MMSE range, possibly forgetting where the hell I am...

Geno's isn't even that good, its mostly a touristy spot. I did however go to a decent cheese steak joint on south street one time..

My room mate always speaks highly of in and out, he has to settle for 5-guys nowadays :smuggrin:

pump and dump my friend, and word association. you just get a feel for it after a while (i'm convinced you don't actually "know" anything).

And Five Guys? pshh...your roommate needs to get on bolt/megabus, head to manhattan, and get some Shake Shake.

Shake Shack is better than In N Out. There, I said it. I felt like **** when I first thought/said that because it's like betraying your best friend, but it's true. But it's only in NYC (and some random spot in FL), so it really doesn't compare.

TX is getting In N Out...hey Z, it's a little bit of Irvine coming your way, haha.

And Five Guys? pshh...your roommate needs to get on bolt/megabus, head to manhattan, and get some Shake Shack.

Been there, done that. I live 10 miles away from NYC :smuggrin:..actually took my roommate with me when I went, (he's from south cal also.)

Been there, done that. I live 10 miles away from NYC :smuggrin:..actually took my roommate with me when I went, (he's from south cal also.)

ack don't call it south cal, dead giveaway you don't know the lingo

It is in the sense that it's very liberal, there are a lot of technology-related jobs, hilly, and similar weather. I think most of the reason people compare it to Cali though is bc of all the Californians that moved there in the last few years.

That said, there aren't a whole lot of pharmacy jobs thanks to UT, and the traffic will probably make you miss California traffic. Seriously.

And since it's been brought up, Five Guys > In N Out IMO. But now you can get both in Texas!

It is in the sense that it's very liberal, there are a lot of technology-related jobs, hilly, and similar weather. I think most of the reason people compare it to Cali though is bc of all the Californians that moved there in the last few years.

That said, there aren't a whole lot of pharmacy jobs thanks to UT, and the traffic will probably make you miss California traffic. Seriously.

And since it's been brought up, Five Guys > In N Out IMO. But now you can get both in Texas!

damn cant get a job in austin either, i guess i gotta learn how to make meth to live in paradise:p

the traffic is definitely a con when i went there. my trip from downtown austin to the austin airport took about 2.5 hours which is much longer than going from downtown LA to LAX even tho austin is a smaller city (distance wise).

pump and dump my friend, and word association. you just get a feel for it after a while (i'm convinced you don't actually "know" anything).

And Five Guys? pshh...your roommate needs to get on bolt/megabus, head to manhattan, and get some Shake Shake.

Shake Shack is better than In N Out. There, I said it. I felt like **** when I first thought/said that because it's like betraying your best friend, but it's true. But it's only in NYC (and some random spot in FL), so it really doesn't compare.

TX is getting In N Out...hey Z, it's a little bit of Irvine coming your way, haha.

In-N-Out burgers are waaaaay better than that of Shake Shack's (overpriced too, as expected in Manhattan). Shake Shack do make some good shakes though.

My former supervisor moved from So Cal. to Texas, saying it was much cheaper to live in Texas.

I've visited Houston a couple years ago, and the temperature was definitely hotter than so cal's

I will stay in Washington. No income tax here and the area I live in has reasonably cheap housing.

I actually like Texas but it would be tough to leave the beautiful Pacific NW, green and water all around. Outdoor paradise! Snowmobile and ski part of the year and fish and mountain bike the rest of the year!

I'm moving to Bellevue in 2 months. We've rented a house and my hubby moves in 2 weeks. He's a software developer for Amazon. Looking forward to the beauty of the area.

Weather in OC is nothing like the weather in Austin yo.....

the traffic is definitely a con when i went there. my trip from downtown austin to the austin airport took about 2.5 hours which is much longer than going from downtown LA to LAX even tho austin is a smaller city (distance wise).

Wow, I've never had it take THAT long. I last lived in Austin in 2009, but I went to visit friends recently and noticed it's gotten even worse in just the last two years though. The problem is that the road infrastructure is designed for a much smaller city (I-35 has the same number of lanes in Waco as it does in Austin), and the population has grown way too fast for it to keep up.

Weather in OC is nothing like the weather in Austin yo.....

Ok, so the summers are a bit warmer. ;)

Fries yes, I love the fries at 5G.

However, the problem in this comparison is 5G puts bacon on their burgers. you put bacon on anything, it'll win by default.

Fries yes, I love the fries at 5G.

Regular or Cajun style?

Honestly I stopped ordering fries a long time ago, it's just too much to finish. On the other hand, the peanuts are pretty cool

damn cant get a job in austin either, i guess i gotta learn how to make meth to live in paradise:p

I've lived in OC. I wouldn't call it Paradise. I've actually also lived near Paradise, CA...north of Sacramento. Definitely not a Paradise.

As far as the Austin traffic goes, your experience is not the norm. There must have been an accident or something. I'm in Austin often enough but the traffic is not nearly as bad as LA. My 33 mile commute from OC to LA through 405, 605, 5, 101, was a nightmare. No thanks.

Nuhuh...leading another Karate event.

Thinking of going up Saturday so that I can check out the area for the weekend.

A lot of earth muffins in their Subys up near Boulder.. Pearl Street is worthy of street photography. I talked to my buddy last week...he said it was snowing some. I tolerate Denver.. that's bout it.

Earth muffins? LOL

Any good landscape stuff?

Sunset over downtown is fantastic looking at it from around the Stadium if it's not cloudy. I've not had much success with landscape photos. But their night time stuff does ok..I think their air has less particles and you're bound to get more crisp pictures. Landscape is very challenging for me. What my eyes see doesn't translate well to what my camera sees.

Sunset over downtown is fantastic looking at it from around the Stadium if it's not cloudy. I've not had much success with landscape photos. But their night time stuff does ok..I think their air has less particles and you're bound to get more crisp pictures. Landscape is very challenging for me. What my eyes see doesn't translate well to what my camera sees.

Really, hmmm...that's actually what I'm most comfortable with. And definitely what I'm more drawn to. People/portrait on the other hand is tough!

The master says...."the best photographers of all aesthetic persuations "see" their final photograph in some way before it is completed, whether by consicious visualization or through some comparable intuitive experience" "much of the creativity of photography lies in the infinite range of choices open to the photographer between attempting a nearly literal representation of the subject and freely interpreting it in highly subjective departures from reality..."

WTH... greek to me.

He's making me see things in black and white and contrast.

The master says...."the best photographers of all aesthetic persuations "see" their final photograph in some way before it is completed, whether by consicious visualization or through some comparable intuitive experience" "much of the creativity of photography lies in the infinite range of choices open to the photographer between attempting a nearly literal representation of the subject and freely interpreting it in highly subjective departures from reality..."

WTH... greek to me.

Haha, that's probably why I like landscape. Gives me the time to really analyze and figure out how I want to capture it. You have that luxury of enjoying the scene to really break it down for lighting, framing, etc.

As opposed to having to react instantaneously...and kick yourself when you didn't get the shot you wanted.

Aurora, CO is a nice burb next to denver. I grew up there, hit the Red Rocks and beyond in the mtns for good scenery.

Boulder has a bunch of pot heads, when i did a rotation out there heard they don't drug screen employees at walgreens in boulder cuz there some liberal law in the city that prevents them. Not a lot of corporate big shots in boulder either, they more about independent stores. Also a lot of pot dispenseries in denver in the vietnamese district on federal st, actually went in and was talking to the guy and he said they sell 43 different types of MJ and told me if i wanted a rx i should go across the street to see a dr that gives out the MJ cards/registration to buy. haha.

So my random thought for the day, why are people so afraid of earthquakes? I was tooling around the interwebz and apparently the death toll from tornadoes this week hit 178, which is like 3x the # of people who died in the last california quake (Northridge 1994, 57) or the one before that (Loma Prieta 1989, 63).

Doesn't make any sense...

So my random thought for the day, why are people so afraid of earthquakes? I was tooling around the interwebz and apparently the death toll from tornadoes this week hit 178, which is like 3x the # of people who died in the last california quake (Northridge 1994, 57) or the one before that (Loma Prieta 1989, 63).

yea, but any resulting tsunamis tends to **** stuff up

Domestically speaking, I don't believe a majority of people on the east coast lose sleep over the thought of earthquakes...that may not necessary be true for the west coast though.

178 people dead in a single tornado would be very high. What we've had recently is an outbreak of multiple tornadoes across an entire region. Usually when a tornado hits, it tears up a single neighborhood or area and no one dies. Plus, tornadoes (the usual variety - not this outbreak business) are pretty common in this area of the country, so we get accustomed to the sirens, etc.

Earthquakes are rarer and affect a larger geographic area and kill more people at one time. I think that's why they are considered more frightening.