"HMO practices"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of complaints about working for "HMO practices." What does this mean? Pros/cons of working for that type of practice?

Members don't see this ad.

So you’ve heard “a lot of complaints” but apparently not enough ask any follow up questions to be aware of any pros or cons?

Two perspectives below

To clarify, I would like to hear perspectives from people who work in private practices that accept HMO's. What I actually hope to hear is how people enjoy not having to worry about the next reimbursement cut or about how they feel like they are practicing more ethically concentrating on patient outcomes rather than money...but I actually don't hear that. Kind of like how I never hear people raving about working for private equity. Is it that bad?

Last edited:
HMO/VA/Kaiser --

Cons: (1) No control over your work life; (2) Lower income ceiling; (3) You may hate your staff and colleagues and can't do anything about it; (4) Stuck with whatever technology they give you.

Pros: (1) No financial risk; (2) Don't worry about getting sued as much; (3) Higher starting salaries; (4) Can leave without any consequences