History of Science MD-PhD and Research Experience, Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapses5317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm hoping to get an MD-PhD in history of science/medicine, and I was wondering what kind of research experience adcoms expect me to have, since it's a social science PhD. I know that research experience is critical for MD-PhD applicants, but is it that necessary for a history of science PhD? I ask because I feel pressure to work this year at UCLA to make some helpful money, but I can't work AND do research because I have disabilities that limit me. Can anyone out there help me?

Also, does anybody know of other schools that offer the MD-PhD in history of science besides the following schools:
* Harvard
* Yale
* U of Penn
* UCSF
* Johns Hopkins
* Duke
* U of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

Much thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like interesting stuff...

i bet a lot of schools would be willing to work with you to create a program. do those schools you listed offer a stipend for all your MD/PhD years? it seems like that program would get expensive

I'm not sure if they offer stipends for social science students. Today I interviewed Dr. Vernon Rosario, who got his MD-PhD from Harvard University in history of medicine and is a historian of sexuality and psychiatrist at UCLA, and he told me that they did not fund his program. He told me to inquire about each school as to whether they fund the program, and I think he also was trying to say that if they do, then research as an undergrad would make me competitive and would be necessary. Otherwise, not. I think! I didn't quite understand him on this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
About funding, it's hard to talk to MD/PhDs who have been out for awhile because the funding situation has changed dramatically. Most MD/PhD programs are not taking students now without funding. However, on the same token many are taking less students and are being more selective about alternative MD/PhD pathways as a result.

At Penn for example, we have very few students who persue social science or non-basic science PhDs. Some of them even started basic science and switched out. However, that's not to say that with a good story and a good application that you won't be able to get a foot in the door. It's just not common at all.

You will need to do undergrad research to be taken seriously! I don't know what you can do or how you can go about getting that research in such an alternative pathway. I hope you can find mentors at your ugrad who can help you here.

Good luck!

I am finishing up my degree at UC Berkeley and took a class in the History of Science my freshman year. My professor was Cathryn Carson. She is the Director of the Office for History of Science and Technology. I would email her if you need help finding research opportunities where you are. I actually did a miniscule amount research with her after I took the class. Hope this helps.

The University of Pittsburgh / Carnegie Mellon MSTP has been very open to students wanting to bring new, relevant departments into the program. In the last three years, we've had three new social science departments added to the program because of student interest. Pitt is nationally known for it's History and Philosophy of Science department (http://www.pitt.edu/~hpsdept/) so I bet the MSTP committee would be excited to make that connection. And all of our students are fully funded (tuition and stipend).

As for relevant research experience, it would be as critical for an applicant in the social sciences as for any other applicant. You want to be able to demonstrate that you've been able to successfully do what you'll be doing in grad school and during your career and that you love it and want to do it for a long time. A great way to get this experience is by taking a year or two after you graduate to do it full time (as a job) and get paid for it.

For more information, contact the professor who teaches us History of Medicine at the med school: Jonathon Erlen ([email protected]). Also: http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/guides/histmed/.

Feel free to contact me, too, if you have any more questions.

Gabe
G2, Pitt/CMU MSTP