HIPPA Question. Unusual Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I work as a locum physician. I was in the process of a move, and had subletted a place for two months from a tenant. First month went without any issues. 2nd month I came home after a two week assignment, and my locks were changed and the apartment people evicted the tenant (who had subletted to me) out for non payment of rent.

All my stuff got thrown out.

My main question is, I had worked a job for two weeks, and had some rounding notes, and patient information in the apartment. You know the daily list you print before you start rounding. I had kept those.

EVERYTHING was thrown out in the trash according to the apartment management office.

I am going to file a police report and probably a small claims court case. My question, is in regards to HIPPA what should I do? Do I need to get a lawyer and if so what kind?

Members don't see this ad.

My vote is to do nothing and move on. Nobody is going to dig through an apartment complex trash to find somebodys MRN and that they were admitted to the hospital for pneumonia and report that to the federal government.

Hello,

I work as a locum physician. I was in the process of a move, and had subletted a place for two months from a tenant. First month went without any issues. 2nd month I came home after a two week assignment, and my locks were changed and the apartment people evicted the tenant (who had subletted to me) out for non payment of rent.

All my stuff got thrown out.

My main question is, I had worked a job for two weeks, and had some rounding notes, and patient information in the apartment. You know the daily list you print before you start rounding. I had kept those.

EVERYTHING was thrown out in the trash according to the apartment management office.

I am going to file a police report and probably a small claims court case. My question, is in regards to HIPPA what should I do? Do I need to get a lawyer and if so what kind?

I think this is a massive overreaction. Think about what would need to occur for this to get back to you; someone would a) have to come upon your notes while ?going through the garbage b) care enough to want to go out of their way to report it and figure out whom to report it to. I think it’s best to move on and forget about it. As far as a police report and small claims court, which wasn’t really your question, am honestly curious, if the tenant gets evicted do you as a subletter have any rights as far as your property? Do you know for certain that you the tenant was legally allowed to sublet given their lease? Not sure. Anyway, goodLuck, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about regarding HIPPA though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is a massive overreaction. Think about what would need to occur for this to get back to you; someone would a) have to come upon your notes while ?going through the garbage b) care enough to want to go out of their way to report it and figure out whom to report it to. I think it’s best to move on and forget about it. As far as a police report and small claims court, which wasn’t really your question, am honestly curious, if the tenant gets evicted do you as a subletter have any rights as far as your property? Do you know for certain that you the tenant was legally allowed to sublet given their lease? Not sure. Anyway, goodLuck, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about regarding HIPPA though...

Agree with the over reaction part.
As far as tenant rights it depends by states( some give squatters rights ) but for the most part, not on the lease, not much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Good to hear about HIPPA. that was my biggest worry. Materialistic stuff can be replaced.

I will be suing the guy(tenant) for fraud, and breach of contract leading to loss of property. We had signed a "hand written" contract on his iphone. AM i going to be successful. Not sure. Even if I am successful in winning a judgement, will I be able to get the deadbeat guy to pay up. Unlikely.

For me, it was more about principle, and not letting him get away with pulling a scam. That is all I can do, to redirect my anger and frustrations.

Correct the tenant was not allowed to sublet the apartment. i was informed. when the fiasco went down.