Odd Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarlATHF

o hai
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks

Boy it's been a long time since I've posted on SDN. Anyway, on to the topic at hand

So I'm about to graduate from Medicine residency here in about a week, and I'm doing a fellowship in ID. I'll hopefully be through with training in 2 years, but here's my conundrum. My lovely wife is also in the process of completing her residency, but she is off-track from when I would finish (1 year to be exact). Essentially, when I finish fellowship in June 2019, my wife will be 1 year from finishing her radiology residency. To compound this problem, she wants to do a radiology fellowship in an area that our current institution does not have (Pediatric rads to be specific). The fellowship for her is 1 year, and we would have to move away from our current area to do the fellowship.

My questions are this:
1. What do I do with that random year after I finish my fellowship prior to her finishing her residency? I have a good relationship with both the Medicine and ID department at our current institution, so I don't think finding a job there would be difficult, but the issue arises in whether they would be willing to hire someone on who they know is going to be moving away in a year.
2. What do I do with my year that my wife is doing her fellowship in a different city/state (most likely)? Should I just work in urgent care for a year? Work in ID in the city that we are in? Get some type of MPH or MBA while she is in fellowship and do some moonlighting to keep us afloat?

I would very much like to work in ID (obviously, since I'm doing a fellowship in it), but given the timing issues that are going on currently, I'm open to other alternatives in the future. I would like to avoid doing something like Locum's for a year since we have already done the long-distance thing for a portion of our time together (and it sucked). We are also lucky to not have children who would further complicate this situation, if that makes any difference. If anyone here has worked through a similar situation (or known someone who has), any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hospitalist for a year where you are, and again wherever she gets a fellowship (if she does). And "locums" doesn't necessarily mean you have to travel, it just means you're a temp. Assuming you're in a relatively large metro area, you should be able to do that without having to go more than an hour or so away.

IMO it would be preferable to work in your new subspecialty rather than a hospitalist, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Your best bet would be internally working with your ID division. They might be cool with you doing more inpatient rounding/consults or something.

There's a reasonable chance they would hire you for a short period of time. As an internal candidate you already "know the system" so you'll get up to speed quickly. You might need a part ID / part Hosp Med job. Or perhaps you might split your time between 2 institutions (such as a VA). Bottom line, they could easily have an ID opening that's short term -- a medical/pregnancy leave, or any number of other issues. If so, they might be very happy to have someone who only wants a short term job.