HIPAA Compliance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knoxdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are getting info from consultants about having someone come in and audit us to make sure we are HIPAA compliant for all the ACA crap. Does anyone know what needs to be done, and when? I dont want to blow money on stupid BS that we don't need, but I also don't want to to have the feds raid us and incidentally find all the pot plants I keep in the basement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if you do what the consultants say, do you get a break on your liability insurance? if yes, might be worth it. have to crunch the numbers.

The attic is for the pot plants. I hide the bodies in the basement.

The last time jcaho came through I wanted to throw out a line like that. Mixed in with " whatever you do don't look in that room! Absolutely nothing to see in that room!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some HIPAA compliance deadline. Sounds like another scam.

I heard ACSs did have some new and rougher HIPAA requirements. Not quite sure what they were. EMR and portal encryption? Can't remember

Last edited:
just do it yourself. Everyone is getting approached by consultants offering to do these audits and its got worse since OCR announced they are finally starting the phase 2 audits early 2016. There is a checklist here that gives an overview of everything you need to consider and a more in-depth one with all the security rulke references here

If there's anything you don't understand, consider getting a consultant in, but once you've got your head around the main rules, you should be fine.