ASIPP Coding, Compliance, and Practice Management Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PainMedicine

Pain Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently a Pain Fellow and am quite interested in ASIPP's "Coding, Compliance, and Practice Management" Review Course offered November 19-20th in Memphis.

While I'm not yet sure whether it will be feasible to start my own practice right out of fellowship, I'm sure this course will provide good information no matter what type of practice/group I join.

Has anyone taken this course or ASIPP's other course "Comprehensive Review Course & Cadaver Workshop" offered the same weekend? Are they worth the time/money?

I feel like Memphis is one of the most expensive airports to fly into, not to mention hotel and course fees (although fellows get a substantial discount on registration).

For those who have been to the Coding/Practice Management Workshop, please give us your words of wisdom!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The cadaver course is a very basic survey of a lot of techniques, and what you get is very dependent on the instructor at a particular station. The groups are relatively large so time is limited at each station. But if you want a smattering of what is done in pain medicine, it isn't a bad course.
Any pain related coding course can be useful, but most of them are tedious, boring, heavy on emphasis of the jail time you will do for miscoding, and could cover the vast majority of what is needed in one hour, rather than over a whole weekend.
Memphis is not easy to get to by plane from many cities in the US. The hotels, especially the Peabody, is way overrated, and this particular hotel has paper thin walls. Beale street is the only entertainment within a reasonable distance, and after hitting several blues bars in a row there, the expected degree of deep depression ensues. Germantown is 40 min away by car (no reasonable public transit) and has an excellent performing arts center and shopping area. The rest of Memphis is an old decrepit town with few areas to interest visitors. Unless you are into the crushed velvet bedroom of Graceland, set in an incredibly seedy area of the town. Love me tender, love me true...all my dreams fulfilled..

The cadaver course is a very basic survey of a lot of techniques, and what you get is very dependent on the instructor at a particular station. The groups are relatively large so time is limited at each station. But if you want a smattering of what is done in pain medicine, it isn't a bad course.
Any pain related coding course can be useful, but most of them are tedious, boring, heavy on emphasis of the jail time you will do for miscoding, and could cover the vast majority of what is needed in one hour, rather than over a whole weekend.
Memphis is not easy to get to by plane from many cities in the US. The hotels, especially the Peabody, is way overrated, and this particular hotel has paper thin walls. Beale street is the only entertainment within a reasonable distance, and after hitting several blues bars in a row there, the expected degree of deep depression ensues. Germantown is 40 min away by car (no reasonable public transit) and has an excellent performing arts center and shopping area. The rest of Memphis is an old decrepit town with few areas to interest visitors. Unless you are into the crushed velvet bedroom of Graceland, set in an incredibly seedy area of the town. Love me tender, love me true...all my dreams fulfilled..

also, halogen lamps give children AIDS.

debbie downer over there.

have to agree about memphis and the peabody. lot of frat boys and beer bottles. thats fine if you are into that sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you think they are always singing the blues in memphis?

We couldn't find a cab back to the hotel on Beale Street at 0100 hrs on a weekend. This was about 7 yrs ago, hopefully its better now

i went to the coding compliance conference in St. Louis a couple of years. its pretty good, but no better than the one offered by SPPM. actually now that i say that out loud, i think the SPPM one was better. It was in Arizona so i played golf in February, better than St. Louis. There is only frozen custard, toasted ravioli, and a tin arch there...

Hello all,

I am currently a Pain Fellow and am quite interested in ASIPP's "Coding, Compliance, and Practice Management" Review Course offered November 19-20th in Memphis.

While I'm not yet sure whether it will be feasible to start my own practice right out of fellowship, I'm sure this course will provide good information no matter what type of practice/group I join.

Has anyone taken this course or ASIPP's other course "Comprehensive Review Course & Cadaver Workshop" offered the same weekend? Are they worth the time/money?

I feel like Memphis is one of the most expensive airports to fly into, not to mention hotel and course fees (although fellows get a substantial discount on registration).

For those who have been to the Coding/Practice Management Workshop, please give us your words of wisdom!

Thanks!