High science GPA but a SAD little cumulative GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettingbread

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to figure what dental schools to apply to that are within target range (I know I should already have figured this out), and I’m started to feel VERY nervous because my cumulative GPA is for sure low. Does anyone have advice as far as schools that might be a good fit, or have any insight on how bad of an issue this is?
Im hoping to stay in state but in California the academic stats for the public schools are looking really competitive. I have no prehealth counselor or advisor and I’ve literally never reached out to anyone for help/advice/feedback on my stats do any thoughts on these numbers is helpful!

Here are some stats:
State: ca
cGPA: 3.43
science GPA: 3.81
BCMP: 3.36
GPA trend: upwards (3.16 first two years/3.57 next two)
DAT AA: 23
DAT TS: 22
DAT PAT: 18 ((oof))
DAT Bio/gen/orgo/rc/qr: 23/21/22/30/20
Give me your thoughts! Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you've never met with admissions recruiters from any of the California dental schools? They tend to be active at recruiting fairs, and I think some ASDA chapters might do open houses. What was your major that explains the discrepancy between sGPA and BCP (not BCMP) GPA?

So you've never met with admissions recruiters from any of the California dental schools? They tend to be active at recruiting fairs, and I think some ASDA chapters might do open houses. What was your major that explains the discrepancy between sGPA and BCP (not BCMP) GPA?

Thank you for your response!

That’s right— I haven’t met with any recruiters or university representatives. I’m going at this alone, which is probably not wise, but I really just don’t know who to turn to, and hence why I’m here. Basically, my overall GPA is low because I got a C in three semesters of calculus (calc I/II/ vector calculus).
My science gpa is high because I majored in biology and got an A in almost every upper division biology course, and I took a lot of those. My BCP gpa I actually didn’t post but it’s the same as my science gpa, because all the science classes I took were either biology, chemistry, or physics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response!

That’s right— I haven’t met with any recruiters or university representatives. I’m going at this alone, which is probably not wise, but I really just don’t know who to turn to, and hence why I’m here. Basically, my overall GPA is low because I got a C in three semesters of calculus (calc I/II/ vector calculus).
My science gpa is high because I majored in biology and got an A in almost every upper division biology course, and I took a lot of those. My BCP gpa I actually didn’t post but it’s the same as my science gpa, because all the science classes I took were either biology, chemistry, or physics.
bcp and sgpa are way more important than bcmp...

Reactions: 1 user
If you are adamant about staying in CA, apply to UCSF, UoP, and UCLA (Loma Linda is very religion-biased and USC is stupidly expensive). I would give seriously consideration to UNLV (where I go -- I'm biased of course) because of the low cost. You get in state tuition after 1 continuous year of living in Las Vegas, meaning starting your 2nd year you get in state tuition. I'm from CA too, and my total tuition is going to be $260K, which is cheaper than UCLA or any other dental school in CA.

Besides the schools I mentioned above, I would apply to Colorado because I think it's a cool school, Oregon, and UW. I don't know the cost of those 3 so beware. Basically, apply to the cheapest schools outside of the ones closest to CA if you want to stay in CA.

Btw, I got in with a 3.15 sGPA and 3.1 cumulative, 24 DAT. You'll be fine don't stress.

Reactions: 1 users