High school student seeking classes advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nydnarb

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone could please give me some insight on the types of classes that would prepare me for my pre dental future.
(Note: I want to try to finish my undergrad as soon as possible. Some people I ask are saying that I should take a gap year and go to dental school in 2024, but I would like to see if I could rush it and go to 2023)

I am currently a high school student, I graduate May 2021. I actually took full time college classes (I will graduate high school with 69 college credits). I took most of my General Education classes at my community college and I took roughly 24 credits for computer science classes including CISCO, Web programming, Java Programming, and digital art(won’t help me towards dental school) + I also took humanities + history + speech + art of film.

I applied to my public 4 year university and I got accepted in for a fall term 2021 student. (All dual enrollment credits transfer)

I was really looking to see what I should do while in my undergrad. I will be majoring in biology.

**** I would be in the same situation as a sophomore college student who changed their major last minute from something totally irrelevant (took only English 1,2 and chem 1 and bio 1 for the pre reqs) and needs to switch to a biology major and wants to go to dental school but took almost no required pre req classes ****

This is the list of classes that I took (at a community college) that would help me in my pre dental journey:
This is the list of classes that I took (at a community college) that would help me in my pre dental journey:

English 1, English 2, Biology 1, Chemistry 1, Precalculus, and Trigonometry.

I was considering MAYBE taking Chemistry 2 online in the summer before I start college in the fall.

This is what I was thinking:
——————————————————

Summer 2021 at community college:

Chemistry 2

Fall 2021:
Biology 2
Organic Chemistry 1
Anatomy 1
Calculus 1

Spring 2022:
Organic Chemistry 2
Micro Biology + Genetics (dual class)
Physiology
Anatomy 2

Summer 2022:
(Maybe take a class?)
Pre pare for DAT
Take DAT in July

Fall 2022:
Bio chemistry
Histology
Micro biology
Physics 1
(Apply to dental school during fall 2022)

Spring 2023:
Ecology
Physics 2
(Don’t know)
(Don’t know)

Fall 2023
Dental school!

——————————————————

PLEASE let me know if this sounds good. Do you think those courses will help me with the DAT preparation? Is that summer term too soon to take the DAT?

Or option 2: I could not take chemistry 2 over the summer class for 2021... I go to school starting Fall 2021, (take chemistry 2 in fall 2021 and organic chemistry 1 in spring 2022) and I take the DAT in summer of 2023 and graduate from 4 year university in Fall 2023. However, I would graduate like December 2023, so from December 2023 to August 2024 I would have like half a gap year) but this will leave me room to explore more about myself... but I will lose a year (time is money)

I would like to get into dental school as soon as possible, but my academic advisor is suggesting I do option 2. What do you guys think about this situation?

Some dental schools I was really looking towards are: university of Maryland, university of Nevada LA, and university of Florida
(Only additional requirements are human anatomy and molecular biology)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! Looks like your off to a productive and motivating start!

Another thing to keep in mind is to set aside time to volunteer, shadow dentists, perform research, and become involved in clubs. Although it might be tempting to complete undergrad as soon as possible, make sure to take the time to explore the opportunities your school has to offer, which could help strengthen your application.

Good luck! You will do great!

Reactions: 1 user
great work thus far! I was pretty much in a similar situation, graduated with 64 credits. However I ended up doing 3 years at university to finish up my degree as I also did no science classes at CC, doing a pre-law track back in HS.

One thing is look at the dental schools you are interested in, my understanding is that some do not allow pre-req courses like chemistry at a community college.

Just like the other poster mentioned, make sure that you are doing all your extracurriculars and try to find people to write letters for you etc.

Also you can ignore your 'advisor' most of them give advice for people who are bombing out of school with 2.0s, which is not you. I had a lot of discussions like this with my advisor who told me I couldn't handle a course load, couldn't take online classes because I wouldn't know time management as a freshmen and other ideas that were completely unapplicable for a motivated student.

I think either of those options is fine, but honestly I would probably lean towards just completing in 2.5 years. Half a year off is the perfect amount of time. just make sure you check on whether the pre-reqs will qualify at CC if you go that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 science/math classes a semester is gonna be killer...

your schedule looks good, taking orgo and anatomy right before the DAT is perfect! I would try not to take a class while studying for it just so you can give the DAT your all and not have to risk a retake.

definitely do get involved on campus and be part of the pre-dental society etc.

In regards to getting into dental school sooner vs taking the half gap year... this has to really do with you personally and how mature you are. I know someone that got rejected from certain schools because they were younger but they still got into a very good school so it didn't matter. It doesn't hurt to try and apply the earlier you can as long as you have your DAT and prereqs done. Just be mindful that some schools do prefer more mature/older applicants but others don't consider it. Every school is different, Everyone is different. If you feel prepared to apply when the time comes then do it!

Did you not take AP Calc during high school? Maybe just take Calc during Summer 2021 at Community College as its not a prereq for many dental schools.

Your schedule looks great!! You can ignore your advisor’s advice and graduate earlier. However, just be mindful that you would need the time to build your volunteerism, extracurriculars, and shadowing!