High OAT, low gpa chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susanahk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys! I was looking for some advice on my standing.
Stats: both cumulative and science around 3.0
OAT: 380
Optometric tech for a year(still currently working)
Shadowed at 5 locations.
My biggest worry is my gpa and grade trends. My grade trends aren’t so great. My very last semester was good with getting A’s and one B in Calc, Orgo 1, Embryology, Cell Bio, Vertebrate Zoology and Anatomy and lab. I also retook a lot of classes at the same institution. With my situation, do you guys think my OAT will balance out the negatives on my app. I tried my best to prove I can handle a heavy courseload. My last semester had classes I was retaking or struggled with during college and I took the at the same time and did well to prove I’ve learned from my mistakes. But I just worry that admissions won’t look past the grade trends any advice would be a great help!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be more than fine! Great oat score, great experience, and passion for the field. Schools are going to look at your application as a whole not just your gpa and oat score.

hey guys! I was looking for some advice on my standing.
Stats: both cumulative and science around 3.0
OAT: 380
Optometric tech for a year(still currently working)
Shadowed at 5 locations.
My biggest worry is my gpa and grade trends. My grade trends aren’t so great. My very last semester was good with getting A’s and one B in Calc, Orgo 1, Embryology, Cell Bio, Vertebrate Zoology and Anatomy and lab. I also retook a lot of classes at the same institution. With my situation, do you guys think my OAT will balance out the negatives on my app. I tried my best to prove I can handle a heavy courseload. My last semester had classes I was retaking or struggled with during college and I took the at the same time and did well to prove I’ve learned from my mistakes. But I just worry that admissions won’t look past the grade trends any advice would be a great help!

I am in the same boat, same gpa same poor trend and retook some classes. However I have not taken the OAT but your scores are great. Ive met people who have had 3.0 gpa and OAT scores 300 but still gotten in so I try to focus on that. Lots of people on here post about their high GPAS which can be intimidating but just have faith :)

Members don't see this ad :)
YESSSS! I got in with around a 3.0 (maybe even slightly lower) and a 360.

Reactions: 1 users
Just make sure you have something to explain the poor grades or something to acknowledge them with a plan to make sure that doesn't happen again in the future!

Yep. UAB, SCO, and UHCO.

Reactions: 1 user
Random but How long did you guys volunteer for? I volunteered at the same place for 3 years but stopped for the past year cause i kinda got caught up with school and personal reasons but I was wondering if optometry schools will care about this gap? I’ve heard from some applicants they don’t look too much at volunteering but I’m not sure.