Hi I am new

bored

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently in gr 12 in Canada, choosing my university for undergrad..

I am having a hard time. weather to choose a prestige university, get "ok" marks, or choose a low level university and get "good" mark
Im actually deciding between University of Toronto vs. York university.

I know in Canada, undergrad university does not matter, and med schools dont look at the school's prestige level when choosing applicants.
so my first question is
is it the same in USA?

would i have the same amount of chance against someone who did their under grad from say University of Toronto or Harvard?

My other questions were related to the EC. Im starting to volunteer for hopitals and everything, and was actually having a hard time becuase space is limited. Is there anything you guyus recommend for EC that i can do to get started?

thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am currently in gr 12 in Canada, choosing my university for undergrad..

I am having a hard time. weather to choose a prestige university, get "ok" marks, or choose a low level university and get "good" mark

I know in Canada, undergrad university does not matter, and med schools dont look at the school's prestige level when choosing applicants.
so my first question is
is it the same in USA?

would i have the same amount of chance against someone who did their under grad from say University of Toronto or Harvard?

My other questions were related to the EC. Im starting to volunteer for hopitals and everything, and was actually having a hard time becuase space is limited. Is there anything you guyus recommend for EC that i can do to get started?

There is some debate about whether your undergrad matters, but the general consensus is that if it's not a top-tier school, it makes very little difference. People at top-tier schools may have a slight edge.

As a Canadian, though, you'd be at a bit of a disadvantage, just because you're out of state everywhere. While that may not make much of a difference for private schools, cost is something you might have to consider; many schools require international applicants to pay several years of tuition up front, instead of paying as you go. You might want to look into that.

What sort of background do you have for your extra curriculars? Obviously, you want to get involved with something that lets you have some patient contact, whether it be shadowing, volunteering at a hospital, working in a clinic, or whatever. But, you'll also want to just do things that you're interested in. If you like scrapbooking, go for that. If you live in a dormitory, do something that gets you involved there. Med schools want to see leadership, so find something you like and stick with it until you can get a leadership position. And if there's nothing you like at your school, start something :)

so my first question is
is it the same in USA?

I've been in the Canadian University system for 8 years or so now (McGill) and I've had more than my fair share of switch-ups, screw-ups and backturns. Even with all of that, I still do not regret going to McGill rather than say, York University or elsewhere. The amount of opportunity you have at a University like McGill or UoT is incredible. If I were you, I would choose UoT for that reason. Forget about Medical school admissions right now. Go to the place where you'll have the most opportunity and the most chance to grow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in the Canadian University system for 8 years or so now (McGill) and I've had more than my fair share of switch-ups, screw-ups and backturns. Even with all of that, I still do not regret going to McGill rather than say, York University or elsewhere. The amount of opportunity you have at a University like McGill or UoT is incredible. If I were you, I would choose UoT for that reason. Forget about Medical school admissions right now. Go to the place where you'll have the most opportunity and the most chance to grow.

do you recommend anything to me while i start my years next year?
mcgil is still better then U of T, Just the amount of complaints i hear from UofT applicants is crazy. Everyone, almost Everyone regrets.. and if its that bad wouldnt med school applications be affected by the marks..?

ps: if for some epic reason, i have to apply to an american med school. Do you think they will be more pleased if i am from U of Toronto? or would they not care?
i understand its harder for canadian applicants to get to american school.. but still.. their requirements are lower then canadian school requirments..

Last edited: