Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when is too late to apply?

I am a FMG, H1b visa, community hospital, NO research, NO publications, few local posters, USMLE high 90s, hopefully 2 LORs from hem/onc attendings in my hospital.
what are my chances?
and where should I apply?
I have not applied yet.

You should check with the programs you are interested in to see the absolute application deadline, BUT... applying late with no research/no publications/community hospital probably won't put you in a very good position (unless you have absolutely stellar LORs, PD letter). I understand that if you apply one year and don't get in, this reflects poorly on you the following year, so it's best to get everything in early/on-time and get in the first time. That said, you could spend the next year beefing up your resume with a few research projects --> manuscripts/pubs, stellar LORs, etc.

I don't know the particulars of visas, but I understand that this can be quite difficult to swing an extra year on certain ones. If that is the case, perhaps asking a Heme-Onc attending to share their thoughts on certain programs/if they have contacts, etc. with you would be best.

I will note that a few programs still have not downloaded my application, but the majority have. Also remember that securing a LOR does not mean that it is instantaneously uploaded into the ERAS system -- this can be a prolonged process that takes days to weeks. There are some programs (I do not know which ones) who do not participate in the ERAS match, so you may have even more options.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

You should check with the programs you are interested in to see the absolute application deadline, BUT... applying late with no research/no publications/community hospital probably won't put you in a very good position (unless you have absolutely stellar LORs, PD letter). I understand that if you apply one year and don't get in, this reflects poorly on you the following year, so it's best to get everything in early/on-time and get in the first time. That said, you could spend the next year beefing up your resume with a few research projects --> manuscripts/pubs, stellar LORs, etc.

I don't know the particulars of visas, but I understand that this can be quite difficult to swing an extra year on certain ones. If that is the case, perhaps asking a Heme-Onc attending to share their thoughts on certain programs/if they have contacts, etc. with you would be best.

I will note that a few programs still have not downloaded my application, but the majority have. Also remember that securing a LOR does not mean that it is instantaneously uploaded into the ERAS system -- this can be a prolonged process that takes days to weeks. There are some programs (I do not know which ones) who do not participate in the ERAS match, so you may have even more options.

Best of luck!

Do programs know if someone has applied to their program in the past? I dont think the programs know that a candidate has had unsuccessful attempts at fellowship in the past.

Do programs know if someone has applied to their program in the past? I dont think the programs know that a candidate has had unsuccessful attempts at fellowship in the past.

It was posited to me in this way: You apply to a program in 2009; they download your application. You don't match. You re-apply to the same program in 2010 --> possible they know you didn't match previously. Also, when you veer from the traditional route of residency followed immediately by fellowship, you are expected to account for the time and it is fair game for them to ask WHY you took the year off. It's different to say "I was interested in pursuing XYZ a little further" versus "I applied late and didn't match."

Here's a link to the ACP website which lists the importance of certain resident characteristics as ranked by Cardiology PDs (can be extrapolated?): http://www.acponline.org/residents_fellows/career_counseling/fs_train.htm. Absent from this list is previously not matching... take it for what it's worth, but my PD stressed that this could reflect negatively.
-CJ

Members don't see this ad :)

Best of luck!

OMG all of you guys are either AMG, GC holders, lots of research, and I feel my application is so weak >(
my PD is finishing my letter this week, and my 2 LORs are from local attendings , so I wonder how strong my application could be, and of course will be late anyways.
I feel really low guys
>(

Just wondering how important is USMLE scores for AMG from a mid university IM program?
Thank you

This week has been much quieter than I expected. Ony had one rejection and one interview (from my home program, thus doesn't really count) with some acknowledgements; Emory has sent the same email four times!!
Either this year is slower than previous years or people just don't want to share in this forum.

Uh, yeah... Eerily quiet. I hear crickets chirping...

Hi guys,
Joining this thread today..Thought I will post my profile..
Seems like it is a little more quiet than prior years.

I'm an FMG, USMLE low 90's, GC +, finished IM residency June 2009, community hosp - univ affiliated, 2 case report publications, 1 ASCO 2nd author abstract, currently a hospitalist at an university hospital doing hem-onc research on my off days.

Hopefully, will get some good interviews..:)
Merry Xmas/ Happy holidays to you all!

Emory seems to have a penchant for sending many emails saying the same thing.. I noticed it happened to many people on last year's thread too..

Hi there,

I am also new to this forum. I appreciate the input that has been posted here regarding the application/interview process, and look forward to hearing from everyone. I have 2 IVs, but I agree -- it's been quiet compared to last year's thread:

12/10 - Columbia (email)
12/18 - Yale Hematology (email)

Good luck to everyone this year!

I'm back! been a long hiatus, but nothing new to really report:
1. I applied to very well-rounded group of 30 programs, and havent heard a thing much as the majority (either invites or rejections)... of course, unless you count the bi-weekly emails from emory...
2. Question: how often do 'pre-matches' or other arrangements prior to the official match day occur?
Best of luck guys - everything will be heating up here in the next month!

Hello Guys,
just joining the conversation as I just found this forum which i believe would be very helpful in the coming months.

Entering the match first time this year.

Currently a Oncology Hospitalist in a academic oncology institute; FMG
USMLE Scores 99 percentiles except in Step 3 (89); GC anticipated January; Graduated from residency in a univ affiliated hospital; spent 6 mths as chief resident; couple of research papers in publications process; few in process; 4 poster presentations;

Applied Dec 15th; all documents in ERAS/EFDO now & mostly have been downloaded.

Going all out, so applied to almost all of them except the west coast & big shot programs
So far just that generic reply from Emory.

Fingers crossed & waiting; not sure how is it gonna be as my experience with the match process have been really wierd; i have seen people with pretty good CV's not match & few with not much impressive CV's hitting home run !

Let hope & pray every one gets in ! :):thumbup:

Best of luck to all !

Members don't see this ad :)
So...I thought I'd keep my streak going and contribute this yr. I applied 3yrs ago but didn't match after I was limited to a particular region. I've been trying to beef up my application during my hiatus as it's now time to apply again as further restrictions no longer apply.

Sad to say that I received my first rejection from Northwestern by email today as well :oops: Kind of a psychological blow since they were my 1st interview invite my first go around. Guess this is going to be a long yr ;)...

Good luck everyone!

:thumbup: interview offer by phone from UofMichigan. Go Blue!

congrats midwest MD. what are your stats?

i have heard NOTHING....getting anxious!

for these phone IV offers...what if you dont answer your phone or are working and not able to?

I'm sure if you missed their call, they'd simply leave a message or call you again. I only recall 2-3 programs last time that called as opposed to emailing. I believe they feel it's more personal as the PD s the one calling...which it is.

:thumbup: IV offer from Vandy by email.

"The designated interview dates this year are:

Monday, January 25. 2010

Friday, February 19, 2010

Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday, April 19, 2010"

Yea :D. First invite for me -- Vandy. Dates as above. No other invites/rejections thus far. Good luck to all... maybe the flood gates are about to open?

:thumbup: from Michigan

Only 2 dates, late Jan and mid Feb.
Big relief afte UNC reject.

Umich also! Congrats guys...hope to see you there! btw, the PD left a vmail...dates for IV's:
1. Jan 22-23
2. Feb 19-20
Good luck guys!

Congrats guys, still waiting to hear on most of my places. Hopefully things will get more busy after new years

Guys, what are my chances of matching. IMG, GC, residency from community program, 6 publications with 1 in pipeline, more than 30 poster and oral presentations and MPH with specialization in clinical research.

Need help with anxiety and stress. Not hearing much from anywhere.

Thanks

Guys, what are my chances of matching. IMG, GC, residency from community program, 6 publications with 1 in pipeline, more than 30 poster and oral presentations and MPH with specialization in clinical research.

Need help with anxiety and stress. Not hearing much from anywhere.

Thanks

To StemCell007,

I am in the same boat. I feel your anxiety. I had contacted some programs trying to figure out what criteria they use, one program co-coordinator was nice enough to email the criteria to me. I am talking about an average university program. I wants to share it with you as I was very surprised. I thought that by working on my CV I could overcome some of the negative marks I have.
I am a FMG like you and I had to work for 2 years in order to get my green card as I was on H1 and I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to get fellowship on H1 visa.

Criteria for applicants:

 Applications are accepted through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System) only. Application deadline is April 30th.
 We are seeking applicants who are not more than two (2) years out of medical residency.
 Applicants must have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 with scores of 87 or above; additionally, applicants must have passed Step 3 to be considered for NRMP ranking.
 Osteopathic students should have Complex scores of over 500.
 Applicants are required to submit at least two (2) current letters of recommendation.
 International Graduates must be ECFMG certified.
 International Medical Graduates should obtain sponsorship for their visas through ECFMG for J-1.
 Graduation from an ACGME-approved medical residency is required.
 Interviews will take place from December through the end of April.
 If matched into our program you will need a license or limited permit prior to starting your fellowship training.

:)

Criteria for applicants:

 We are seeking applicants who are not more than two (2) years out of medical residency.

So this would explain why I got the fat rejection from Northwestern this time around :oops:

I need the answer to these questions !

1. What does this means " Accepting application for 2010-2011" OR " Accepting applications for 2011-2012" on FREIDA ?
Does the year mentioned refers to fellowship batch start date or the interview/application session ?

2. Does anyone know if William Beaumont, MI & Univ of Toledo accepting applications for this match ? I tried contacting them, but no response yet.

Thanks

Hey MidwestMD, I remember you from forum three years ago, wish you best of luck. I'm sure now without restrictions you'll match into a top tier fellowship... Speaking from experience, having worked as a hospitalist for a year before entering fellowship, you will feel that you are a lot stronger clinically, able to handle the clinical responsibility with ease...

So...I thought I'd keep my streak going and contribute this yr. I applied 3yrs ago but didn't match after I was limited to a particular region. I've been trying to beef up my application during my hiatus as it's now time to apply again as further restrictions no longer apply.

Sad to say that I received my first rejection from Northwestern by email today as well :oops: Kind of a psychological blow since they were my 1st interview invite my first go around. Guess this is going to be a long yr ;)...

Good luck everyone!

Hey MidwestMD, I remember you from forum three years ago, wish you best of luck. I'm sure now without restrictions you'll match into a top tier fellowship... Speaking from experience, having worked as a hospitalist for a year before entering fellowship, you will feel that you are a lot stronger clinically, able to handle the clinical responsibility with ease...

Thanks Ghettomd! Appreciate the vote of confidence and am impressed by your memory ;) Looking forward to applying everywhere this yr but a little nervous that 3yrs out of residency is gonna hurt me more than help. I agree though that the past yrs as a hospitalist at a busy university program will definitely help me clinically as you mentioned.

Happy Holidays!

University of Colorado by phone. two dates to choose from
Jan 29th
Feb 19th

By email...any friday 1/8 on...
Happy new year and good luck!

docjagermeister
I am too lazy to change my status.
Anyways, I believe this is pretty much it for 2009. Let's have nice and relaxing holidays for 2010!

Do you guys know if most of the programs send out rejection letters or not.
Do you guys think we will start hearing more in Jan.

Hello everyone, I am joining the conversation. IMG. Citizen. high 90's on steps 1/2 but high 80's on 3. Mid tier Uni affi residency. A few peer reviewed pubs both 1st and 2nd authors. So far I have IVs from U Mich, Vand, columbia and U colorado. Rejected by DFCI. Happy new year and good luck to everyone!

University of Minnesota invite today via e-mail :thumbup:

I wish everyone the best :xf:

well guys anyone in the same boat? I have no interviews so far.?
:(
not even rejection either, altough applied really late.