Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what the NRMP rules are about sharing this info with others. Share it only if you feel comfortable doing it. I am going apply again this year end and spread a wider net than I did last time. So let's see what happens. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This year there was 5 unfilled programs, total of 8 unfilled positions. Much less than last year. But why didn't you register to match. You had such impressive IV list!

I don't know what the NRMP rules are about sharing this info with others. Share it only if you feel comfortable doing it. I am going apply again this year end and spread a wider net than I did last time. So let's see what happens. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize, I am not the original Tyrosine Kinase.
When I signed up for SDN I did not realize there was an existing Tyrosine Kinase. Does anybody know how I can change my name?
But, here is my story.
I am an FMG, good USMLE scores (step 1=242 and step=2 240, Step 3 not great, 196). Hospitalist x 10yrs.
one publication in the pipeline. US citizen.
Can anyone comment on my prospects if I did not limit myself geographically?

I apologize, I am not the original Tyrosine Kinase.
When I signed up for SDN I did not realize there was an existing Tyrosine Kinase. Does anybody know how I can change my name?
But, here is my story.
I am an FMG, good USMLE scores (step 1=242 and step=2 240, Step 3 not great, 196). Hospitalist x 10yrs.
one publication in the pipeline. US citizen.
Can anyone comment on my prospects if I did not limit myself geographically?

To be completely (and somewhat brutally) honest, your prospects are poor. As a foreign grad who has been out of residency for 10 years, most PDs will wonder what you could give them that a fresh (or at least, much fresher than you) US grad couldn't give them. Your scores are fine but nothing to write home about and the Step 3 drop and lack of pubs will certainly not help.

If you apply to a wide variety of low tier programs, you might get some interviews but it's a steep uphill climb (and I'd be happy to be wrong about your chances, I certainly don't wish you ill).

Thanks for your input, gutonc.
Congratulations to everyone who matched.
For those of us who did not, perseverance will pay off!

Hi Guys,

Matched at Yale.. :)
I'm an FMG, currently an academic hospitalist till I join fellowship.
Congrats to everyone who matched ;)

My advice for FMG's applying would be to
1) start working on your application atleast 3 months before the match opens and get everything including the letters in on time.
2) If you are from a community hospital, and did an elective at a university hospital, continue to make contacts and try and publish with attendings there and that will help you to possibly be competitive for that university hospital.
3) Try to make your application as polished as possible and try to have atleast a couple of papers published and evidence that you are very excited to be joining the field like doing ongoing research.
4 ) And finally, during the interview, look excited and interview well. All it takes is 1 interview to match. I had 8 out of 70 I applied to, though..
5) I would say, apply to atleast 75 programs if you are an IMG..if not 100.
Infact, start saving for it starting now... :laugh:

Wish all of you applying for the match in the years to come - ALL THE VERY BEST:thumbup:

Hi Guys,

Matched at Yale.. :)
I'm an FMG, currently an academic hospitalist till I join fellowship.
Congrats to everyone who matched ;)

My advice for FMG's applying would be to
1) start working on your application atleast 3 months before the match opens and get everything including the letters in on time.
2) If you are from a community hospital, and did an elective at a university hospital, continue to make contacts and try and publish with attendings there and that will help you to possibly be competitive for that university hospital.
3) Try to make your application as polished as possible and try to have atleast a couple of papers published and evidence that you are very excited to be joining the field like doing ongoing research.
4 ) And finally, during the interview, look excited and interview well. All it takes is 1 interview to match. I had 8 out of 70 I applied to, though..
5) I would say, apply to atleast 75 programs if you are an IMG..if not 100.
Infact, start saving for it starting now... :laugh:

Wish all of you applying for the match in the years to come - ALL THE VERY BEST:thumbup:

I just have question, R U on visa or green card or ur citizen?

I just have question, R U on visa or green card or ur citizen?

To HemOnc 13.

I have a green card. Quite a few program directors in the interview trail were honest and told that their administrations don't favor them recruiting fellows on a green card anymore due to tight funding for salaries and inability to use grant money to support the salaries of fellows on a H1.
Good luck with the fellowship process.

With your research and papers, maybe you can apply to greencard on EB1 category and get fast tracked. That will improve your chances the most.

To HemOnc 13.

I have a green card. Quite a few program directors in the interview trail were honest and told that their administrations don't favor them recruiting fellows on a green card anymore due to tight funding for salaries and inability to use grant money to support the salaries of fellows on a H1.
Good luck with the fellowship process.

With your research and papers, maybe you can apply to greencard on EB1 category and get fast tracked. That will improve your chances the most.
To Mantlecell,
Do you mean even for Green Card holders it is hard to get fellowship and did you go through EB1 process? I have 4 publication in good journals and 3 case presentation in minor journal and 1 abstract? what is my chance thru EB1

it seems most people here matched to big placed, but most of them are either us citizens or green card holders..I wonder how did it go for people with visas.
did anyone on H1 visa matched? where/?
and what were your credentials ???
thanks

it seems most people here matched to big placed, but most of them are either us citizens or green card holders..I wonder how did it go for people with visas.
did anyone on H1 visa matched? where/?
and what were your credentials ???
thanks

Did you matched anywhere and are u on H1B visa? I did not though ppl with far low resume than me did, makes me feel H1B visa is worse visa for fellowship.

To Mantlecell,
Do you mean even for Green Card holders it is hard to get fellowship and did you go through EB1 process? I have 4 publication in good journals and 3 case presentation in minor journal and 1 abstract? what is my chance thru EB1

To hemonc 13,

I am sorry for the typo. I meant H1 in my earlier statement, not green card. Once you have a green card, your chances dramatically improve, I think. With your scholarly work, you have a good chance of getting a green card on EB1, that will make your application much more appealing to fellowship directors.

First congratulations to all who matched.
I was active initially in the blog, but my interest in writing decreased as I only got 3 interviews and I basically lost hope. However I MATCHED and I ended 4 years of suffering to get what I always wanted to do. My scores in USMLE low 80s. I do have decent publications. Was a hospitalist for a while but becasue I was not able to match in hemonc during my hospitalist work, I decided of quiting hospitalits and I joined a training program in Geriatric Medicine. I think that helped me as it proved that I am able to be a fellow again leaving behind a large salary hospitalist enjoy, and it gave me chance to do some research. For all the ones that have not matched, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. DONT FORGET THAT WE ARE IN AMERICA where the sky is the limit.

I hope if any senior fellow or futue fellow can give me an idea of what Hemonc fellows use as a resource of reading: What tect books you recommed, perhaps other material from ASCO or ASH, any quick book reviews, I would appreciate your reply.

I hope if any senior fellow or futue fellow can give me an idea of what Hemonc fellows use as a resource of reading: What tect books you recommed, perhaps other material from ASCO or ASH, any quick book reviews, I would appreciate your reply.

Here's the "joke" (funny because it's kind of true) that I tell anyone who asks a similar question. All you need to be an oncologist is:
Chemoregimen
NCCN
UpToDate (For those pesky Gen Med questions)

The other things I use regularly are:
MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology (Available online through AccessMedicine)
Williams' Hematology (Ditto)
DeVita's Cancer (the Harrison's of Cancer)

ASCO publishes a review book (ASCO-SEP) and a question bank that are great for review but are quite expensive. ASH has a similar book that I got for free when I went to ASH 2 years ago. There are others but this is about 4x as many books as you'll actually read over the next 3 years.

Here's the "joke" (funny because it's kind of true) that I tell anyone who asks a similar question. All you need to be an oncologist is:
Chemoregimen
NCCN
UpToDate (For those pesky Gen Med questions)

The other things I use regularly are:
MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology (Available online through AccessMedicine)
Williams' Hematology (Ditto)
DeVita's Cancer (the Harrison's of Cancer)

ASCO publishes a review book (ASCO-SEP) and a question bank that are great for review but are quite expensive. ASH has a similar book that I got for free when I went to ASH 2 years ago. There are others but this is about 4x as many books as you'll actually read over the next 3 years.

Thank you very much Gutonc. That was helpful