Heme/Onc Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi MidwestMD, I interviewed at both Vandy and OHSU and I liked both. I think it really depend on what you are looking for and where you want to end up with and you can't go wrong with either. If you want to stay on the east coast Vandy would be a better choice because it's a better known school w more resources. They have a very strong lung Ca program. However, if you like Portland and would like to stay as a faculty then do your fellowship at OHSU as they are expanding. The people at both places are very nice and supportive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can somebody comment on my list:

Hopkins
UCLA
UCSD
Duke
NIH heme
UCI

Sorry to keep asking about the same programs, but does anyone have any thoughts on the differences between the 1) clinical training, 2) research opportunities, 3) and academic reputation of these two programs?

I knew next to nothing about them prior to the interview, but I really really liked them both. Vandy appears to have the bigger name nationally w/ a larger dept and fellowship class (~7 fellows) but seems like it's on a recent decline w/ a lot of faculty leaving the dept. I'm not sure if that implies that faculty weren't happy there (and therefore it's a red flag), or if it's a testament to the program that they are so highly sought after. Is there reputation restricted to their region?

OHSU on the other hand seems smaller (3-4 fellows) but just received a large donation and the dept is growing at a fast rate w/ new faculty, etc. Portland wins in my mind as far as location is concerned, but I could live in Nashville too.

Anyone care to comment? I'm thinking this is just gonna come down to a gut feeling in the end and I'd be happy at either program...but I was wondering what impression others had after their interview day. Thanks!

I probably shouldn't keep commenting on this but I will. Mostly just to point out that the majority of the faculty that Vandy is losing (and it's not a huge number or anything) are being recruited to OHSU by the new (former Vandy) division chief.

Just sayin'.

Members don't see this ad :)
I probably shouldn't keep commenting on this but I will. Mostly just to point out that the majority of the faculty that Vandy is losing (and it's not a huge number or anything) are being recruited to OHSU by the new (former Vandy) division chief.

Just sayin'.

:p The irony on my interview day was not lost on me...

I know this is rarefied air, but why ucsf last...I have more or less the same list and they're prob my #1

I'm placing UCSF way higher on my list. Tough first year, but overall a great program. Fantastic location.

Hey guys I need your input about ROL.
1.MDACC
2.MSKCC
3.NIH Heme

interested in translational research in BMT academic career. dont care about the location. Im changing 1 and 2 like literally everyday, cannot decide which is better. After interview felt like MDACC is more generous about career support and also has larger BMT population. MSK looks more better in lab based research. Any input is welcome. thx.

Can anyone help me with these?

Wake Forest
University of Chicago
Thomas Jefferson
UAB
BAYLOR (HOUSTON)
Tufts
Wayne State
University of Cincinnati
Medical college of Wisconsin
UIC

If you are interested in Hem and BMT and translational research, Fred Hutch is prob the best, followed by MD Anderson, NIH, UCSF and Stanford. MSKCC is good at solid tumor. Correct me if I am wrong.

1.MDACC
2.MSKCC
3.NIH Heme

interested in translational research in BMT academic career. dont care about the location. Im changing 1 and 2 like literally everyday, cannot decide which is better. After interview felt like MDACC is more generous about career support and also has larger BMT population. MSK looks more better in lab based research. Any input is welcome. thx.

Here's my list. Any thoughts, suggestions?

1. Johns Hopkins
2. MSKCC
3. NIH Onc
4. Fox Chase (FCCC)
5. Northwestern
6. Cornell
7. UNC
8. Thomas Jefferson
9. Yale
10. Emory
11. UPMC (Pitt)
12. Georgetown

Also, does anybody know much about the NIH program? I was impressed by the interview there, but didn't meet many fellows and haven't heard much about it outside of the interview day.

Here's my list. Any thoughts, suggestions?

1. Johns Hopkins
2. MSKCC
3. NIH Onc
4. Fox Chase (FCCC)
5. Northwestern
6. Cornell
7. UNC
8. Thomas Jefferson
9. Yale
10. Emory
11. UPMC (Pitt)
12. Georgetown

Also, does anybody know much about the NIH program? I was impressed by the interview there, but didn't meet many fellows and haven't heard much about it outside of the interview day.

Based only on what I've heard and not giving any consideration to location (I didn't interview at any of the places I'm going to mention), I'd move Pitt way up and UNC probably up a slot or two. Yale should probably go higher too. And unless you're only interested in clinical work/research (have no interest in basic science), FCCC shouldn't be so high.

That all said, your list is full of decent to phenomenal programs so wherever you end up on the list, you're going to be just fine.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should rank Moffitt or Ohio State number one on my rank list. Geography is not important and I want a program that will allow me to continue on into academics. Any input was help greatly

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should rank Moffitt or Ohio State number one on my rank list. Geography is not important and I want a program that will allow me to continue on into academics. Any input was help greatly

Good thing geography isn't important. Aside from TX, I can't imagine 2 places I'd less rather live than OH and FL.

That said, I think OSU is the clear winner here, esp if you want to stay in academics. Just as much if not more clinical research there and way more basic science going on.

And Columbus > Tampa by a whisker.

1.MDACC
2.MSKCC
3.NIH Heme

The general consensus seems to be MDACC is slightly better at liquids and MSKCC slightly better at solids from what I hear. What about the Hutch? Theyre a BMT translational/clinical giant

Members don't see this ad :)
Good thing geography isn't important. Aside from TX, I can't imagine 2 places I'd less rather live than OH and FL.

That said, I think OSU is the clear winner here, esp if you want to stay in academics. Just as much if not more clinical research there and way more basic science going on.

And Columbus > Tampa by a whisker.

I agree that basic science at OSU is better than Moffitt, but I think Moffit is a much larger clinical research center than OSU. Nationally, Moffitt seems to be doing quite well and is growing and getting greater representation at national meetings from a clinical standpoint. Both are great, and probably underappreciated onc programs, IMHO. Also Moffitt is more a cancer center model while OSU is a university model, which is probably the biggest significant difference between the two centers.

Dear BRCA, I am eagerly waiting for your comments on univ of nebraska...pls help.Thanks.

This program is very good for Lymphoma/ BMT with big names like Armitage and Vose but otherwise is a very mediocre program.

can anyone help me with these?

Wake forest
university of chicago
thomas jefferson
uab
baylor (houston)
tufts
wayne state
university of cincinnati
medical college of wisconsin
uic

can anyone shed some lights on my list please.............

Thanks Microsatellite and Aurora K.
I was feeling that recently MDA is doing good job on liquid. They have leukemia SPORE and looks pretty promising. I know MSK has traditional reputation and their basic lab background is fantastic...

I was not called from FHCRC but I know there Heme and BMT are wonderful.

Actually, the order you have them in is pretty good. I'd move Wayne State and UAB (assuming you can tolerate living in Detroit and the Deep South) either just above or just below TJ but it's otherwise a reasonable rank of the programs on your list.

UChicago is probably the strongest overall program on the list, though financial issues may change things over the next several years

Can anyone help me with my ROL? Thanks.

Last edited:

JHU
MDACC
Fred hutch
UCLA
NORTHWEST
YALE
U CHICAGO
MAYO
CLEVELAND CLINIC
MOFFITT
U MICHIGAN
USC
COLUMBIA
UPMC

Here's how mine would look (based strictly on reputation, I only interviewed at a few of those places) assuming no geographic restriction/preference.

JHU
MDACC
(Those first 2 could swap easily)
Fred hutch
U MICHIGAN
NORTHWEST
UPMC
YALE
U CHICAGO
UCLA
MAYO
CLEVELAND CLINIC
MOFFITT
USC
COLUMBIA

JHU
MDACC
Fred hutch
UCLA
NORTHWEST
YALE
U CHICAGO
MAYO
CLEVELAND CLINIC
MOFFITT
U MICHIGAN
USC
COLUMBIA
UPMC

Welcome to the board :) Pretty impressive and diverse list. Congrats on so many interviews...you must be broke and tired after traveling so much!

As others are likely to comment, it would be more helpful if you provided some additional info (eg- academic vs private, research interests, geographic preferences, reputation, clinical rigor, lifestyle, etc).

For the most part, I agree w/ gutonc's assessment, but I'm not sure if Yale really beats Mayo or CCF.

cred: IMG with mediocre res prog
hoping to get matched in clinically good program.

mayo, rochester
baylor, houston
umdnj, new brunswick
nsu/lij
lsuhsc, shreveport
u of cincinati
u of nebraska, omaha

Hello all,

I'm new on this forum and very impressed by everyone's achievements. My rank list is more modest than most of the others listed, however, I was hoping to get some thoughts on my list of programs. I have no preference for location. That being said, I intend on a life of academics... (Research-wise, I'm interested in laboratory/translational research).

Mayo, Rochester
U Colorado
U Minnesota
Cornell
Wake Forest
Oregon Health & Sciences University
Emory
Indiana
Wake Forest

I look forward to input! Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I'm new on this forum and very impressed by everyone's achievements. My rank list is more modest than most of the others listed, however, I was hoping to get some thoughts on my list of programs. I have no preference for location. That being said, I intend on a life of academics... (Research-wise, I'm interested in laboratory/translational research).

Mayo, Rochester
U Colorado
U Minnesota
Cornell
Wake Forest
Emory
Indiana
Wake Forest

I would not call your list a modest one . You have all elite programs!
I was just curious why did you ranked wake forest in the 5th and the last rank? Can you rank twice?

UChicago is probably the strongest overall program on the list, though financial issues may change things over the next several years

Thank you for your thoughts
All the best

Actually, the order you have them in is pretty good. I'd move Wayne State and UAB (assuming you can tolerate living in Detroit and the Deep South) either just above or just below TJ but it's otherwise a reasonable rank of the programs on your list.

Thank you. Good luck with the match!

I would not call your list a modest one . You have all elite programs!
I was just curious why did you ranked wake forest in the 5th and the last rank? Can you rank twice?

My bad... I don't know why I typed it out twice. The second one is a mistake...

Hey guys this is my first post here, and I need help with my rank list.

1) Fox chase
2) Thomas jefferson
3) Mt sinai NY
4) Montefiore NY
5) Univ of minnesota
6) emory
7) Univ of nebraska
8) Roswell Park
9) MUSC( Medical univ of south carolina)
10) University of arkansas

What do you guys think?

Hi guys, is anyone getting emails from PDs about rank list? I have no contact from PDs, is that a bad sign?

what do you think about my list? I have a dilemma, which is better, jefferson vs Mt sinai ?. any comments?

Hi guys, is anyone getting emails from PDs about rank list? I have no contact from PDs, is that a bad sign?

what do you think about my list? I have a dilemma, which is better, jefferson vs Mt sinai ?. any comments?

Don't worry about the PD contact. I heard from nobody 3 years ago and matched my #1.

As for TJ vs. MSSM, depends on what you're looking for. It's close but I'd put MSSM first. Others may reasonably disagree and this is one of those cases where you should go with the one you liked more.

Guys,
How should I rank these programs?
Baylor (Houston), Tufts, Thomas Jefferson, Wake Forest, University of Cincinnati, UIC

Please help..................

When I interviewd at baylor they told me they had 6 spots and I saw the same number on NRMP in mid march.
I checked yesterday and now they have 5 seats!
does it mean they pre-matched one spot?
any ideas?

Actually, my experience has been that more likely the assistant PD or someone else you hit it off w/during the interview will contact you...

My question is when they state we are ranking you 'very highly' does that mean guaranteed to match, the top 50% interviewed, or somewhere between? in both the email and phone contact I had, they were both carefully cryptic about the implications....

Thanks!

I guess pre-matches occur more often than reported..... couple programs in NY filled their spots through pre-match and gave them to their internal candidates..... Even big programs like U of Michigan filled 2 out of 6 spots this year thru pre-match......So, I don't know if that is illegal because many programs are doing that....

I guess pre-matches occur more often than reported..... couple programs in NY filled their spots through pre-match and gave them to their internal candidates..... Even big programs like U of Michigan filled 2 out of 6 spots this year thru pre-match......So, I don't know if that is illegal because many programs are doing that....

Don't forget, some programs (like UofM) have fast-trackers who were guaranteed a spot when they began residency. I wouldn't worry about it though as it's not likely going to change how you rank a particular program, right?

Don't forget, some programs (like UofM) have fast-trackers who were guaranteed a spot when they began residency. I wouldn't worry about it though as it's not likely going to change how you rank a particular program, right?
I believe 75 percent of a program's fellows, as averaged over 3 yrs must come from the match. I wouldnt worry about those spots that dissapeared thru pre-match as they never to be had by most external applicants in the first place...

I am working on my ROL and I can't fine USC on the list. Anyone having the same problem?

My question is when they state we are ranking you 'very highly' does that mean guaranteed to match, the top 50% interviewed, or somewhere between? in both the email and phone contact I had, they were both carefully cryptic about the implications....

It means that they ranked you somewhere between first on their list and not on their list at all.

Nope, not buying that a program would call folks if they are not on their list at all... their reputation is at stake, just as if we told our top 10 programs that they are all '#1'.

Hello all,

Mayo, Rochester
U Colorado
U Minnesota
Cornell
Wake Forest
Emory
Indiana
Wake Forest

Can someone please give me some insight on a comparison between U Minnesota and U Colorado... which would be better?
(For the record, I haven't decided between malignant hematology versus solid oncology as a research focus as yet.)

Thanks.

Nope, not buying that a program would call folks if they are not on their list at all... their reputation is at stake, just as if we told our top 10 programs that they are all '#1'.

It's your funeral.

If you think there aren't people telling every program they interview at that they're ranking that place #1, you're remarkably naive.

My point (which you failed to get) is that, ranking based on anything other than your personal wishes is a fools errand. Trying to read the tea leaves in contact from programs will get you a nice moonlighting/hospitalist job while you try to figure out why you didn't match.

No, your cynical point was well understood. My rank list is unchanged (at least my top 3) by recent 'feedback'... but since we have absolutely nothing to work off between the end of our last interview until match day, its always great to hear from programs. Sorry you didn't have the same experience...
Also, some may spam 'you're #1' emails and calls, but I would like to believe that the majority do not... maybe just my naive wishful thinking from my collegues in my future profession.
I do not mean to set a negative tone gutonc... you did well and your advice has been helpful.
Good luck all!

Anyone ranking Iowa and Kansas? Any suggestions on which one is better? Also, is it unusual not to get any correspondence from a program? I interviewed at the University of Kansas and sent thank you and follow up emails to all the faculty as well as the PD and never received any responses. Does that indicate low interest from their part? Any information is appreciated.

Anyone ranking Iowa and Kansas? Any suggestions on which one is better? Also, is it unusual not to get any correspondence from a program? I interviewed at the University of Kansas and sent thank you and follow up emails to all the faculty as well as the PD and never received any responses. Does that indicate low interest from their part? Any information is appreciated.

Iowa is definitely a better program.

And hearing nothing means nothing. Some programs simply have a rule that they don't make contact with applicants after the interview process is complete.

Hey Guys,

Anybody have any thoughts as to how Vandy compares to Michigan? Location is not an issue. Just looking for another opinion here. Thanks!