Helpe ..Carabian MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amiso_md

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who graduated or IN ROS med school, would you please tell me should I apply for the school or DO schools in USA since my GPA is 3.3 and mcat 30, I am realy confused some of my proffesor telling me that MD schools is better no matter where they are as long as u will pass the US bord Exam, and other says DO schools in US is much better then carabian schools .. I need helpe guys which one I should go for ohh I just wana be doctor that is my dream ..

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question: if you can't meet the requirements of a US MD school, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get into a DO school either. Their admissions requirements are about the same as MD requirements. Don't make the mistake of assuming that they are any easier to get into -- even though many people in the past used to go that route when they couldn't get into MD school. DO schools are not alternatives to MD school in the sense that they should not be viewed as a "fall back" option.

Now that that's out of the way...
I don't usually comment on this, but -- is this how you really write? Or are you someone that has signed onto this board to rip on foreign students/grads? There is such a thing as Spell Check. If you don't have it, it would be a good investment, because even though you have an MCAT of 30 and a 3.3 average, you can't spell for beans. I realize you may be a non-native English speaker, but you have to realize that if you post a message (or write an exam answer or an entry in a medical chart) with spelling and grammar like you've used here, people will really wonder if you're qualified enough to be working as a physician in the US. Historically, people have viewed doctors as among the most educated members of society. It's my opinion that when you make a post like this one, you'll seem under-educated.

Don't get me wrong -- this is not a rip on non-English speakers. God knows I make my share of mistakes with Spanish, a language in which I'm constantly trying to improve. But when I write something, I try my best to make it appear without mistakes, although I don't always succeed.

So my advice to you is to check and recheck everything you write, be more careful with what you submit for others to view, because you want to appear as educated as that 3.3 GPA proves that you are. Sorry if this sounds harsh...

I am not going to comment on the choice between carribean MD or US DO, but I would disagree with the previous post. With your stats, you have a good chance of getting accepted into US MD school. You just need to apply to as many schools as you can. I know people who have gotten in with your stats. Also, you definitely have a very good chance of getting into a US DO school. I got in, and my stats are not as good as yours.
You should also apply to one or two offshore med schools. St. George's and Ross. Personally, I think you would be much better of in St. George's than in Ross. St. George's is an excellent alternative to US medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amiso - I am rather confused...

1) in 1 post you state you just took the MCAT
2) in another you state you have a score of 33
3) in still another you state you have a score of 30
4) in the same post as above you ask whether you should go to a DO school over the Caribbean schools but haven't applied to DO schools because you've already gotten into Ross. Does Ross not require an MCAT score for admission? I thought they had changed that.
5) in another post you ask a Ross student about the school because "you're going there" and have been accepted to Ross
6) yet in this post you ask whether you should apply to Ross
7)in another you inquire as to your chances of getting into a US school because you have failed several courses

What's going on? I'd like to help in anyway I can but I expect a straight story because the evidence so far seems a bit misleading.

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery

[This message has been edited by Kimberli Cox (edited April 28, 2001).]

amayer -

I hope I was clear in my post, but from your response I guess I wasn't. I did not mean to say that the original poster could not get into a US MD school with the scores/GPA he listed. I was only saying that if he couldn't meet the criteria for an MD school in the US, he probably wouldn't be able to meet them for a DO school either, because the requirements for both are similar. I made this statement because a lot of people think that DO admission is "easier" and try to use it as an alternative, when they really aren't interested in osteopathy, but want to get into the school because they couldn't get into an MD school.

In case everyone doesn't read all the forums, here is Amiso's response to my earlier query about the inconsistencies in his postings...

----------------------------------
okay detectives I didn't mean to confuse you guys, first I applyed to Ross 2000-2001 class and at that time they didn't ask for MCAT, most of proff advise me to done with my bacholer first and give a shot to medical school schools in US.. So I listen to them and took the MCAT last week all those grades 30 and 33 are just what I am expecting to get ( I feel i did good): anyway I am going to ROSS 2002 if I get reject from all MD schools I know that one DO schools will accept my MCAT and GPA , my concern should I apply TO DO schools or just go straight to Ross if I couldn't get in US MD schools to save money and Time .. that is all guys again sory for that confusion .. I am jsut too wary about where I should go in all of this diffrent medical schools
--------------------

amiso

What's with the pessimism. Your stats are ok for us md schools. Save the offshore/DO talk for next year if this year doesn't work out.

Do you really want to be an osteopath? if not, then go to the offshore school.... simple as that.... if you're questioning yourself and it's not easy to answer the above question, then you're better off at the offshore school. Just my two cents.... :cool: