SGU vs University of Queensland for MD Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remaddy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask for some advice on what I should do. I am a Canadian student that has been unsuccessful in applying to medical schools in Canada for the last couple of years due to a low MCAT score. While I wish to remain in Canada, I have also started looking into medical schools in other countries. What are your thoughts between attending medical school at the University of Queensland in Australia vs St. George University in the Caribbeans in terms of securing residency positions, doing well in the program to become a doctor, matching back into Canada (I know that this is extremely difficult), and other things I should be aware of.

I would appreciate any tips, advice, or really any other information about this. Thanks, everyone!

(Side note: In addition to SGU and QU for medicine, I've also considered re-applying to Canadian schools (though my chances in Canada are extremely low because of the MCAT) and applying to Canadian dentistry schools so that I could remain in Canada. I'm open to any comments about this as well. Thanks again!)

Members don't see this ad.

For the purpose of returning to the US or Canada, graduates from Australian schools are viewed more favorably.

University of Queensland - Ochsner in particular will help you return home with no problems. SGU doesn't even come close.

Definitely UQ over SGU. It has a much better reputation and overall has a better program/resources/connections. Lots of Canadians do decide to go to UQ and I know a lot of them do go back for residency.

As a note, unless you have a US citizenship, you cannot be in the Oschner program (which has the last 2 years in the US). But UQ does prep you for USMLE if you do want to do a residency in the States. Also I don't know how low your MCAT is, but UQ requires at least a 504.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't the stats of University of Queensland - Ochsner at US DO's . Average GPA: Masters Degree 3.56, Bachelors Degree 3.39 and MCAT average: 508. Wouldn't it be more favorable for OP to try to go to a US DO med school? US DO school's average bachelor GPA is higher but their average mcat is lower.

US MD/DO both had a 99%+ match rate after soap this year. I get that OP is Canadian, but you can apply through the CARMS and NRMP. Even if you match in the US, you can go back to canada and practice after a certain point. I'm not too quite sure about that, but that is what I heard.

If your goal is to practice in the US, then SGU is by far the better choice.
[B]scubascuba[/B] above is just speaking from anecdotes he's heard from friends, and is a very informed opinion. The "reputation" and numbers of SGU and the UQ/OSchner schools are identical if you just look at their published numbers, or ask residency directors. You're an IMG either way. Your absolute best choice would be to re-apply to US MD and DO schools next cycle. If that's not an option for you, and you're set on either SGU or UQ/Oschner, then go to SGU. The reason SGU is better is because they are preparing you to be a US doctor. They know most of their graduates want to practice in the US, and they structure their courses accordingly. You can spend your time studying the material you'll need for your US lisencing exams and residency. If you go to UQ/OSchner, you'll be studying a very Australia-specific curriculum because their primary focus is on preparing Australian doctors. For example, while SGU students are learning how diabetes medications work, the UQ/Oshcner students are spending hours doing group projects on how various regions of Australia experience different rates of diabetes. Those examples occur every single day.

Neither is a good option to be a US doctor

how low is your mcat?

If your goal is to practice in the US, then SGU is by far the better choice.
[B]scubascuba[/B] above is just speaking from anecdotes he's heard from friends, and is a very informed opinion. The "reputation" and numbers of SGU and the UQ/OSchner schools are identical if you just look at their published numbers, or ask residency directors. You're an IMG either way. Your absolute best choice would be to re-apply to US MD and DO schools next cycle. If that's not an option for you, and you're set on either SGU or UQ/Oschner, then go to SGU. The reason SGU is better is because they are preparing you to be a US doctor. They know most of their graduates want to practice in the US, and they structure their courses accordingly. You can spend your time studying the material you'll need for your US lisencing exams and residency. If you go to UQ/OSchner, you'll be studying a very Australia-specific curriculum because their primary focus is on preparing Australian doctors. For example, while SGU students are learning how diabetes medications work, the UQ/Oshcner students are spending hours doing group projects on how various regions of Australia experience different rates of diabetes. Those examples occur every single day.

tell us about your experience at UQ-O?

For the purpose of returning to the US or Canada, graduates from Australian schools are viewed more favorably.

University of Queensland - Ochsner in particular will help you return home with no problems. SGU doesn't even come close.

This is false.

You want to be a doctor in the US or Canada? Go to a Canadian school or a US DO school. Going to either SGU or UQ makes you an IMG and you will face a massive uphill battle to match regardless of which school you came from.

SGU is a known quantity, especially in the US. UQ has a good reputation as well but at this point your USMLE step scores and your performance in clinical rotations matter more in terms of getting a residency, not the name of your school.

Matching into Canada is at best a 27% likelihood (or something like that). In my opinion, it wasn't worth the effort.

I am a Canadian who went to SGU and matched in the US. Anecdotal, but the Canadians I knew on the island matched as well. I am sure there are plenty that didn't match.

This is false.

You want to be a doctor in the US or Canada? Go to a Canadian school or a US DO school. Going to either SGU or UQ makes you an IMG and you will face a massive uphill battle to match regardless of which school you came from.

SGU is a known quantity, especially in the US. UQ has a good reputation as well but at this point your USMLE step scores and your performance in clinical rotations matter more in terms of getting a residency, not the name of your school.

Matching into Canada is at best a 27% likelihood (or something like that). In my opinion, it wasn't worth the effort.

I am a Canadian who went to SGU and matched in the US. Anecdotal, but the Canadians I knew on the island matched as well. I am sure there are plenty that didn't match.

No, I didn't say anything false. Of course, first priority is to obtain a seat at a North American medical school if your intention is to match in North America.

However, if must go abroad, Australian schools > all Caribbean options. Not only because you have an option to stay and apply to Aussie internships, but also because Aussie grads viewed more favorably by North American residencies than graduates from Carib.

No, I didn't say anything false. Of course, first priority is to obtain a seat at a North American medical school if your intention is to match in North America.

However, if must go abroad, Australian schools > all Caribbean options. Not only because you have an option to stay and apply to Aussie internships, but also because Aussie grads viewed more favorably by North American residencies than graduates from Carib.

Have you been through match?

And regarding your claim of Aussie grads being viewed more favorably than SGU grads, do you have any proof?

To reiterate, once you're an IMG/FMG your ability to match will depend on:
1) US citizenship / PR status (if applying to US)
2) Step scores
3) Performance during 3rd/4th year and LORs
4) +/- research (depending on what specialty you're applying to)

NRMP Match data by country, Slide 28:

Last edited:
Have you been through match?

And regarding your claim of Aussie grads being viewed more favorably than SGU grads, do you have any proof?

I'm not interested in arguing credentials or proof, I'm only here to advise the OP on what I think is the best route of action.

Matters of prestige, match rate, student attrition rate, risks of going either Caribbean or Australian is discussed here @madbauss SGU or UQ-Ochsner