Help(?)

Everbe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in hs and I want to have a really productive summer to help me on my med path. I am thinking of taking summer classes on biology or other sciences to help me learn.
I know you need volunteer/research/internship/shadowing/etc and I want to start asap. I dont really know how and where to start :/

I was thinking of asking my eye doctor if I can shadow her (I met her very frequently because of my contact issues) but im not sure if the hospital will let students shadow (its kaiser permanente) so Im kind of worried for that.

If anyone can give me thoughts or advices please let me know! I live in california near orange county. Thankyou!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

An important thing to consider: it looks really bad to put stuff you did the summer between high school and college on med school apps. ("You put things from high school on here, so you must've not done enough in college"). Your goal with summer plans, for now, is to do stuff that will get you better stuff in a year. Things where you count hours (like shadowing) should only be this summer if you expect to be allowed to shadow again next summer or are hoping from some position from the job (which can happen! Just, if you shadow, your goal should probably be finding things for next summer).

Members don't see this ad :)
An important thing to consider: it looks really bad to put stuff you did the summer between high school and college on med school apps.
This is incorrect. The summer between HS and college is NOT HS, it is college! HS ends when you graduate HS. So anything that happens after you graduate is fair game to put on your application.

This is incorrect. The summer between HS and college is NOT HS, it is college! HS ends when you graduate HS. So anything that happens after you graduate is fair game to put on your application.

I apologize for being unclear. This is technically true--this summer is certainly "fair game." However, every admissions advisor/student who has already been admitted I've asked says you should, by choice, not include it. If you need to include it, it suggests you didn't do enough later in life. It's a bit like taking your science prereqs over the summer--no one's stopping you, and you certainly can get into med school like that, but I would avoid if your schedule allows for it. It draws some red flags.

Please just really soak in your next few years of college. Cherish them. It will feel like you're working hard getting ready for med school but you won't know what hit you when med school happens. Late high school/college were my funnest years.