Help with selecting schools to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrMagic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im currently trying to figure out which schools I should apply to. I have a 3.5 GPA and 35 R MCAT. Ive done 100 hours of emergency room volunteering and 150 hours of doctor shadowing. I am currently signed up for an emergency room internship. I have also volunteered for a year at a research lab.

These are my credentials, but could anyone give some input as to what schools I should apply to? To get an idea of where I might be able to get into? An example of a school or a general range of similarly ranked schools would be helpful.

Id greatly appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some more details, My science GPA is a 3.5, while my non science GPA is a 3.6. I am graduating from NYU and my major is Biology, and my minors are Dramatic Literature and Psychology.

When you say you volunteered in a research lab, do you mean that you did research and were actively involved in the team doing the work, or that you washed glassware? What is your state of residence? Do your grades generally have an upward trend?

When you say you volunteered in a research lab, do you mean that you did research and were actively involved in the team doing the work, or that you washed glassware? What is your state of residence? Do your grades generally have an upward trend?
My volunteer work in the research lab was pretty restricted to washing glassware and maintaining cell cultures. I live in New York, and my grades did have an upward trend. I have two C+s in both semesters of Orgo, and another in Molecular Cell Biology during my sophomore year. Since then, I have been able to maintain a B+ or higher in all of my science and non science classes.