This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsunn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this is in the right place.. I have only posted one other time and didn't get yelled at, so hopefully this is okay too haha.

I'm going into my second year of school, I am 27 years old, so my first 2 semesters consisted of your basic classes at a CC (humanities, English 1 and 2, intermediate algebra and algebra, Spanish 1, and then a wellness class). I'm taking summer classes right now (Spanish 2 and Statistics).
For the Fall I am transferring to a university
And am taking Chem 1 with a Lab, Bio 1 with a Lab.. and this is where I need help.
I have 2 options to reach the mandatory credits of being full time

Option 1
Bio 1 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9-9:50am)+
Bio Lab (Tuesday 11-1:45pm)
Chem 1 (Monday, Wednesday 2:30-3:45pm) +
Chem Lab (Wednesday 5-9:00 pm)
Sociology (online)
Emergency First Aid (Tuesday, Thursday 4-5:15 pm)
= 14 Credit hours

Option 2
Pre Calc and Trig (Tuesday, Thursday 9:30-10:45am)
= 12 Credit hours

So the main difference is I can just take Pre-calc and trig, or I can take sociology and Emergency first aid...
I would much rather do pre-calc and trig, but I'm honestly afraid of taking a math class with a Chemistry class, especially when math is my weakest subject. I got a B in intermediate algebra (but I had been out of school 10+ years so truthfully knew nothing but basic math), A in Algebra but there was a huge curve. I currently have an A in Stats, but these are my only math classes, if I was taking 2 math classes at once, I don't think I could have done as well....
It honestly sucks, because since Calc isn't a pre req for many med schools, I didn't think I would have to take it, thought I could just do the 6 hours of a math (College Algebra and Stats). But I guess calc is a pre req for a Biology and also a biomedical sciences (was going to switch majors if it didn't require a calc, but it did).
I just need advice...

Should I just do option 2 and hope for the best?

or be safe and do option 1, but have a crazy schedule.

Also, my advisor said to take either "trig or pre-calc and trig" but made a face when she said the "Pre-calc and trig" I assume because its harder? But sadly, the trig class is full, so all that's left is the pre-calc and trig class...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into my second year of school, I am 27 years old, so my first 2 semesters consisted of your basic classes at a CC (humanities, English 1 and 2, intermediate algebra and algebra, Spanish 1, and then a wellness class). I'm taking summer classes right now (Spanish 2 and Statistics).
For the Fall I am transferring to a university
And am taking Chem 1 with a Lab, Bio 1 with a Lab.. and this is where I need help.
I have 2 options to reach the mandatory credits of being full time

Option 1
Sociology (online)
Emergency First Aid (Tuesday, Thursday 4-5:15 pm)
= 14 Credit hours

Option 2
Pre Calc and Trig (Tuesday, Thursday 9:30-10:45am)
= 12 Credit hours

So the main difference is I can just take Pre-calc and trig, or I can take sociology and Emergency first aid...
I would much rather do pre-calc and trig, but I'm honestly afraid of taking a math class with a Chemistry class, especially when math is my weakest subject. I got a B in intermediate algebra (but I had been out of school 10+ years so truthfully knew nothing but basic math), A in Algebra but there was a huge curve. I currently have an A in Stats, but these are my only math classes, if I was taking 2 math classes at once, I don't think I could have done as well....
It honestly sucks, because since Calc isn't a pre req for many med schools, I didn't think I would have to take it, thought I could just do the 6 hours of a math (College Algebra and Stats). But I guess calc is a pre req for a Biology and also a biomedical sciences (was going to switch majors if it didn't require a calc, but it did).
I just need advice...

Should I just do option 2 and hope for the best?

or be safe and do option 1, but have a crazy schedule.

Also, my advisor said to take either "trig or pre-calc and trig" but made a face when she said the "Pre-calc and trig" I assume because its harder? But sadly, the trig class is full, so all that's left is the pre-calc and trig class...
The rigor at the university level is often far greater than that of a CC. For your first term of adjusting to a faster flow rate of information and more material needing memorizing or critical thinking, taking the less-challenging course load (Option 1) is a good idea so you can protect your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user