Help with Picking Programs!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user39

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I'm currently a junior in high school and looking into perusing pharmacy. I looked into schools and have found two programs I like, but am not sure which is the better one for me. Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences offers a 0-6 program for pharmacy, and Niagara University and SUNY Buffalo offer a 3+4 program where I earn my bachelor's at Niagara and then my doctorate at Buffalo. What are your opinions on the two programs? Any comments are greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the program at Niagara, I know one classmate who went to Niagara (does have a bachelor). At UB it's called "early assurance", where you go to UB right out of highschool (50% of my classmates), declare "pre-pharmacy" on the admission application, and after 3 years of pre-req completion, you pretty much get in with a 3.3 GPA (for the 3+4 option). GPA is calculated based on pre-req classes only. I've heard students say the GPA requirement is strictly adhered to, since that's the only criterion for early assurance student (aka a 3.29 will not round up), and there's no leeway. If you have the GPA and complete all of your pre-req, you most likely will get in; the interview is just a formality.

You should talk to people over at Niagara to make sure what they're talking about is the same "early assurance" program, aka if you make the GPA, you're in, a form of guaranteed admission. :) Ask them whether you need to take the PCAT, apply through PharmCAS, and whether your admission depends solely on GPA, or do other factors (extracurricular, research, work experience, etc.) count?

If they tell you with a bachelor from Niagara you still have to apply through PharmCAS (aka no guaranteed admission), then I'd say where you go for undergrad. does not matter. Pick the undergrad. school of your choice, complete all your pre-req there, then apply to UB :D

As for which one is the better fit, you should visit the campuses to have a feel. As far as the pre-professional years goes, I'd imagine Niagara and Albany have a similar feel because they're both private (which means you'll most likely receive more help if you need it, a more intimate feel, get to know your classmates better, etc.) For professional, our class size is ~ 130, which is an average size, not too big.

Last edited:
If you choose the 3+4 route look into more than just one school. There are many schools now and they all offer something unique. Keep your mind and options open! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, thank you guys so much for your insight and help!:)

Like the other responders, I suggest you visit each campus. You will likely be most successful at a campus where you feel most connected and happy. If finances are a concern, the 3+4 option will cost an additional year of tuition and get you into the workforce a year later. For some of us, the additional year of expenses and time are a major consideration, especially when you graduate with the same degree. At Albany you will graduate in 6 years, Niagara/UB you will graduate in 7 years. The other areas to consider are the size and focus of the colleges. Albany's programs are focused on health sciences, research and pharmacy. Niagara and UB offer a broader spectrum of programs. The reputation of the pharmacy programs are comparable when you graduate. Good luck on your search!