Help stop the OB bashing!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you know i was thinking of doing this, but you beat me to it. i don't know what can be really done about it b/c most of those who are bashing are just new 3rd years who have yet to finish all of 3rd year and understand that bashing a speciality only makes you look lunatic and doesn't change anything. i empathize with them if they were treated poorly on their ob/gyn rotation but they take it to another level.

How many students have I had not show up on time? Not complete notes? Act completely disinterested? Too many...all from a supposed top 20 med school.

If they would just pick up a book and pretend to be interested....That would be just fine with me. Afterall, most likely 50% of their future patients will be women.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind if I ask a question as a premed? How long is the average OB/GYN rotation for a med student? I'm pretty sure once I get into medical school that I can feign interest for four weeks or so (hell I do it now for gen ed classes), but the only problem I forsee is that I am quite disgusted by childbirth (having delivered four babies as an EMT in a rural area) and have a tendency to throw up afterwards. The academic side of things, the book learning interests me, but the clinical side of things I am not fond of.

Mind if I ask a question as a premed? How long is the average OB/GYN rotation for a med student? I'm pretty sure once I get into medical school that I can feign interest for four weeks or so (hell I do it now for gen ed classes), but the only problem I forsee is that I am quite disgusted by childbirth (having delivered four babies as an EMT in a rural area) and have a tendency to throw up afterwards. The academic side of things, the book learning interests me, but the clinical side of things I am not fond of.
i am not sure about everywhere but i have heard of anywhere from 4-6 weeks. at my school it is 6 weeks.

i am not sure about everywhere but i have heard of anywhere from 4-6 weeks. at my school it is 6 weeks.
Good....I think I can keep from complaining too much for that amount of time. :laugh:

8 weeks at my school - but I am doing my residency in ob/gyn so I didn't mind. Bring on the bitches, I can take it!!:laugh:

You going into academic medicine? Because I don't think there's a specialty out there where you'll be spared having to look at people's nastiness....maybe neuro, haven't done that rotation yet.

How many students have I had not show up on time? Not complete notes? Act completely disinterested? Too many...all from a supposed top 20 med school.

If they would just pick up a book and pretend to be interested....That would be just fine with me. Afterall, most likely 50% of their future patients will be women.

Do you think that's what makes the residents and attendings so bitchy is that most others doctors are turned off by the specialty and don't pay any attention to your recommendations and most med students know they aren't interested in it and so do a half ass job at it?

Just trying to psychoanalyze the specialty; I am, god willing, going to be an ob/gyn intern next summer.

8 weeks at my school - but I am doing my residency in ob/gyn so I didn't mind. Bring on the bitches, I can take it!!:laugh:

You going into academic medicine? Because I don't think there's a specialty out there where you'll be spared having to look at people's nastiness....maybe neuro, haven't done that rotation yet.
I have no problem dealing with nasty people, but it's just childbirth in particular that bothers me. I've puked after 3 of the 4 field deliveries I've done.

I'm halfway through my 4-week OB stint. Not particularly a fan of the Crotch Watch Squad, but I think in between listening to pregnant girls about changes in vaginal discharge along with the different flavors and colors of funkiness, and being obligated to hear the sexual escapades of a grandmother, positions, orgasms, and the like during clinic, I realized that the silent screams inside my head were not schizophrenic voices, but just me.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm halfway through my 4-week OB stint. Not particularly a fan of the Crotch Watch Squad, but I think in between listening to pregnant girls about changes in vaginal discharge along with the different flavors and colors of funkiness, and being obligated to hear the sexual escapades of a grandmother, positions, orgasms, and the like during clinic, I realized that the silent screams inside my head were not schizophrenic voices, but just me.

:barf: looking forward to it!

I have no problem dealing with nasty people, but it's just childbirth in particular that bothers me. I've puked after 3 of the 4 field deliveries I've done.

a true champion, next time have couple of beers first.

Hello all, I'm the student that started the thread that this thread is about. I just want to clarify, I never meant to criticize or bash OB/Gyn as a field, or the people who do it. The thread has gotten pretty ridiculous as far as OTHER PEOPLE doing that. When I did respond I re-stated that I personally had a bad experience at my clinic site and since it was my first rotation I was afraid it would be a year of that. So, I set up a poll asking which rotation was the worst, expecting a more even result than it turned out to be. I think the poll is skewed with OB/Gyn taking a commanding lead as a result of the fact that a whole lot of people rolled in to bash the field (even before I stated which rotation I was on) and pretty much took over the thread.

As far as the people who have yet to take OB/Gyn, I'll humble offer this advice: You only THINK that you are worried about/will be grossed out by the work itself. I thought so too. It lasted all of about 4 days. Eventually you will get very used to deliveries, speculum exams on smelly vaginas, etc. What I failed to do was ask around about the various teaching hospitals (3 at my school) to find out the culture of the departments. This is so important! The work on OB/Gyn can actually be very enjoyable. Don't worry about that, just worry about the culture! I could have really enjoyed my rotation but unfortunately I ended up at a place where the people were very malignant. They were basically mean, rude, catty, etc and hated students and tried to make us miserable. NOT EVERY OB/GYN DEPT IS LIKE THIS. So just try to find a place known to be more student-friendly. And I'm not just picking on OB/Gyn; due to the experience I had there I will ask around about the culture on medicine, surgery, etc at different hospitals before I take those rotations.

If you get on a more student-friendly service where residents are willing to teach and be more patient with you, OB/Gyn can actually be a great experience. :thumbup: Even on my mostly malignant service, there were some very kind residents with whom I learned a ton and really could enjoy the rotation and learn and do my best. You do NOT want a rotation where people are yelling at you all the time, because the constant anxiety interferes with learning. Best of luck, and keep an open mind about OB/Gyn (and every other rotation, for that matter), even if you don't want to do it you can learn a lot! Good luck! :luck:

Hello all, I'm the student that started the thread that this thread is about. I just want to clarify, I never meant to criticize or bash OB/Gyn as a field, or the people who do it. The thread has gotten pretty ridiculous as far as OTHER PEOPLE doing that. When I did respond I re-stated that I personally had a bad experience at my clinic site and since it was my first rotation I was afraid it would be a year of that. So, I set up a poll asking which rotation was the worst, expecting a more even result than it turned out to be. I think the poll is skewed with OB/Gyn taking a commanding lead as a result of the fact that a whole lot of people rolled in to bash the field (even before I stated which rotation I was on) and pretty much took over the thread.

As far as the people who have yet to take OB/Gyn, I'll humble offer this advice: You only THINK that you are worried about/will be grossed out by the work itself. I thought so too. It lasted all of about 4 days. Eventually you will get very used to deliveries, speculum exams on smelly vaginas, etc. What I failed to do was ask around about the various teaching hospitals (3 at my school) to find out the culture of the departments. This is so important! The work on OB/Gyn can actually be very enjoyable. Don't worry about that, just worry about the culture! I could have really enjoyed my rotation but unfortunately I ended up at a place where the people were very malignant. They were basically mean, rude, catty, etc and hated students and tried to make us miserable. NOT EVERY OB/GYN DEPT IS LIKE THIS. So just try to find a place known to be more student-friendly. And I'm not just picking on OB/Gyn; due to the experience I had there I will ask around about the culture on medicine, surgery, etc at different hospitals before I take those rotations.

If you get on a more student-friendly service where residents are willing to teach and be more patient with you, OB/Gyn can actually be a great experience. :thumbup: Even on my mostly malignant service, there were some very kind residents with whom I learned a ton and really could enjoy the rotation and learn and do my best. You do NOT want a rotation where people are yelling at you all the time, because the constant anxiety interferes with learning. Best of luck, and keep an open mind about OB/Gyn (and every other rotation, for that matter), even if you don't want to do it you can learn a lot! Good luck! :luck:

thanks for your very MATURE post in comparison to others. Yes, I agree that some took your thread as a means to vent and some then became ignorant and decided they wanted to bash and generalize a whole specialty based on their poor experience. I hope they grow up soon b/c in residency you can't take everything so personally or you will burn out.

thanks for your very MATURE post in comparison to others. Yes, I agree that some took your thread as a means to vent and some then became ignorant and decided they wanted to bash and generalize a whole specialty based on their poor experience. I hope they grow up soon b/c in residency you can't take everything so personally or you will burn out.

So tell me then, how do you explain Ob being rated far and away the most unpleasant rotation for students? See, you keep saying that "individual experiences may vary" to explain individual experiences, but how do you explain the overall survey results?

So tell me then, how do you explain Ob being rated far and away the most unpleasant rotation for students? See, you keep saying that "individual experiences may vary" to explain individual experiences, but how do you explain the overall survey results?

Oh i didnt mean it like that if it came across as such. I am not going to discredit someone else's opinion and experience of a rotation. I am just commenting on how they choose to vent their opinions of their experience by characterizing the whole profession or by making personal attacks based on bad experiences. If i decided to take that road i would rip IM and peds with a lot of mean statements of how ALL IM and peds professionals MUST be bc of my experience. But in the end all I can do is comment on this and have no way of making someone take the high road in regards to how they want to express themselves. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.