Help! Scored lower on step 2 CK! :( Will I still match into med/peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord_Vader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my Step 2 score today and it came as a total shock since I thought I did well. I took the exam at the end of August and got a score of 224 which is way below the mean. I got a 227 on my Step 1. So I actually got 3 points lower on Step 2 which is a big red flag. I'm a US MSIV applying to medicine-pediatrics and internal medicine (as safety programs). I'm in the middle of my school in terms of rankings and have gotten high pass on all my rotations (except honors in psychiatry). Will I still match? I honestly wouldn't mind staying at my home institution which has a med-peds program. It's a lower-med tier program but at this point I'm just worried about matching. I've gotten a few interviews already but my home institution has yet to send out any. That also brings me to another question. When, if at all, should I release my CK score? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Sorry to hear you scored lower than you expected. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions since I'm IMG and we need to pass and release all scores before applying :( Do you mind sharing your self-assessment scores? Your step 1 is identical to mine.

Hi. Sorry to hear you scored lower than you expected. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions since I'm IMG and we need to pass and release all scores before applying :( Do you mind sharing your self-assessment scores? Your step 1 is identical to mine.

Hi. I actually didn't take any self-assessment since I was okay with my UW average of 65%. I know that was a dumb move but I had to cram a lot of studying into 4 weeks.

If you already got interviews hopefully you will be fine :) Best of luck

Thanks. I've already gotten 5 but I don't know what to do if this is brought up during interviews or if it'll substantially affect My chances of matching