MD & DO Help picking schools/WAMC! (cGPA: 3.85, sGPA: 3.97, MCAT: 512)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VonDuder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just finished my 3rd year at Loyola University Chicago (Biochem Major) and have already sent out my AMCAS/AACOMAS (first day they were eligible to send). I have applied to 3 DO schools (Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL, Tuoro College of New York, and Western University in California) and 2 MD schools (UIC and SIU). I'm looking to add ~18 more MD schools to the list but need some help!!

My stats are as follows:

*21 y/o white male (bilingual in English and Polish) living in Chicago, IL who would be first generation of family to finish college

*Cumulative GPA : 3.85

*Science GPA : 3.97

*MCAT Score : 512 (C/P: 128 , CARS: 128, B/B: 129, P/S: 127)

*Have done ~2 years of medicinal chemistry research and was awarded 3 fellowships (research grants) and a scholarship. Have ~2000+ hours of research experience.

*I've been working as an EMT for a private ambulance company for ~1.3 years and counting (~2000 total hours so far). HUGE amount of patient/healthcare experience. I've probably been in every hospital/nursing home in Chicago and have involuntary shadowed many doctors/nurses/physical therapists as a result.

*I've been volunteering as an EMT for my school's on-campus EMS system for ~1.7 years and counting (~300 hours total hours so far). Another great source of patient/healthcare experience.

*I've been a tutor at my school's tutoring center for ~1.7 years and counting (~250 hours total so far). Tutor many different science based subjects (Orgo, gen chem, biochem, genetics, etc.)

I have other notable achievements (Dean's List, scholarships, fellowships, etc.) and have not shadowed any doctors since my job as an EMT goes way beyond that. Also would like to add that I have experienced many emergency situations (worked on 2 cardiac arrests [talked about one in personal statement], seizures, traumatic bleeds, etc.) and have countless stories about patients. Thus I'd say my personal statement/secondaries would be (are) pretty damn strong.

Some other MD schools I'm considering:
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
Mayo
SLU
Albert Einstein

Any suggestions for which schools I should also apply to/what my chances would be?? Let me know what you guys think!!! Much appreciated!!

EDIT: Based on people's suggestions/some research I have made a list of the 21 schools I'm applying to

Loyola
Rush
UIC
SIU
Rosalind Franklin
Albert Einstein
Creighton
SLU
Wake Forest
New York Medical College
Tufts
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland
Temple
George Washington
Drexel
Medical College of Wisconsin
EVMS
VCU
Albany

What do you guys think? The only concern I have is that (from what I researched) most of these schools receive A LOT of OOS applications so idk how I feel about my chances.. Any other schools I should add?? Remove?? Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Northwestern is going to be an enormous reach - you're outside their 10th percentile MCAT (or right on the border of it).

After you take gyngyn's advice and apply to any IS schools that are in your stats range (i.e. not Pritzker and Northwestern), consider schools like EVMS, Quinnipiac, VCU, Temple, Wake Forest, NYMC, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn so I'd be applying to Loyola, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and SIU for IS. That leaves 15 schools I'd need to fill. Any suggestions??

@WedgeDawg Thanks for the suggestions!! I'm not too thrilled about my MCAT score so sticking to schools within my reach is a good idea.

You could add schools such as:
Creighton
St. Louis
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Georgetown
GW
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Drexel