[HELP] No interviews, what's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d3soso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 16 schools in this cycle. (I believe it was a second batch.) I haven't received any interview yet. T_T
My gpa:
Total= 3.5 Science= 3.24
DAT: AA=21
Quant =20
Reading=18
Bio =17
GChem=25
OChem=25
PAT= 25
Over 300 hrs shadowing, 1 yr research exp. (no publication)

<Questions>
Is there a chance to get an interview at this time? (how likely?)

For the next cycle, what should I do to make my application stronger?
1. do research? --> I got another research assist. job offer and there is a high chance of publishing as a 2nd or 3rd author
2. Take DAT again to get AA 23-25
3. Take more classes to raise sGPA (10 semester units of science courses will make sGPA 3.4)

Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 16 schools in this cycle. (I believe it was a second batch.) I haven't received any interview yet. T_T
My gpa:
Total= 3.5 Science= 3.24
Quant =20
Reading=18
Bio =17
GChem=25
OChem=25
PAT= 25

<Questions>

1. I got another research assist. job offer and there is a high chance of publishing as a 2nd or 3rd author--> do research?
3. Take more classes to raise sGPA (10 semester units of science courses will make sGPA 3.4)

DAT is fine. Take post-bacc classes to raise sGPA. Apply early.

My gpa:
Total= 3.5 Science= 3.24
Quant =20
Reading=18
Bio =17
GChem=25
OChem=25
PAT= 25

Bio DAT of 17 is a huge, flashing red flag IMO.

raise science GPA, of course.

volunteering would likely help. lots of it, esp. dental volunteering.

perhaps your personal statement is weak and you could reach out for several sources of help??

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT is fine. Take post-bacc classes to raise sGPA. Apply early.

My original plan was to do research, and maybe take couple of courses online, but my dental student friend told me to reatake DAT and aim for 23-25 (with higher score in bio and Quant).
Can't really decide...

Retake dat. 17 bio seems liks the anchor to the app. Your gpa is probably good enough if you can duplicate the 21 AA (with improved bio).

Interviews at this point might be rare for most schools but that doesn't mean it's impossible. PM me if you need pointers for bio prep. Or even if you need help with some of the material. Best of luck.

My gpa:
Total= 3.5 Science= 3.24
Quant =20
Reading=18
Bio =17
GChem=25
OChem=25
PAT= 25

<Questions>

1. do research? --> I got another research assist. job offer and there is a high chance of publishing as a 2nd or 3rd author

hmmm... kinda weird u didnt get any interviews but the only thing that could be holding you back is the bio 17 and your sGPA. how was ur personal statement?

hmmm... kinda weird u didnt get any interviews but the only thing that could be holding you back is the bio 17 and your sGPA. how was ur personal statement?

What about letters of rec?

your sgpa and 17 in bio=> red flag

Hi there! I think your DAT is fine! Even with a 17 in bio, you have met the minimum cut-off. Also, one score won't ruin your chances. If you retake your DAT, it probably will look bad if you do score lower since your gchem and ochem scores are extremely high. When you get a 25 on the DAT, you are looking around the 98-99th percentile! You AA is very competitive for UoP. I recommend that you retake any sciences courses, and take additional upper division science courses. Definitely take the research position & congrats on that! Publications are always great! Other than that, I would just focus on bringing up your science GPA. Also, do some volunteering if you haven't already done so and leadership. That's strange that you haven't received an interview yet, but keep your hopes up. Schools still interview late. :)

^ yeah. can you tell us where did you apply ? and were you late ?

retake dat(17 bio 18 rc looks bad compared to other sections) and get that research assistant position.

A 17 in bio might hurt you for some schools, but I don't think that is the case for all the schools. You are in a tough position here. I recommend you calling the schools to find out. More than likely they will just say your dat is fine, but maybe a few will give you a direct answer. Sometimes people on sdn just think it's all about stats, but you have to pay attention to other factors in your app. How are your rec letters? I know we don't know or we don't get to read them, but do the professors know you outside of the classroom? How is your personal statement? I think the personal statement has a lot to do with people getting interviews. Grab their attention from the beginning and don't let it fade.... good luck with what you decide to do. You can get in with your gpa, but if you improve it, it'll just increase your chances.

Do not retake DAT! Take a few science courses, apply to 20+ schools and start networking with schools! GL!

^ yeah. can you tell us where did you apply ? and were you late ?

I am in CA, so I applied to all CA schools + OR, WA, NV + some private schools in the east coast. My application was done in mid June. Not all my 4 LOR are great, but I have a couple of really good LORs.

Thanks for all the comments :oops: