help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_naureen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i m a student of B.D.S(bachelors of dental surgery) in my third year of study in Pakistan.i would like to get transfer in some U.S university for the rest of my study as my family is moving there.please help me
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

yes you might know,
dental degree in the u.s. is a doctorate degree.
i am sure you'd have to transfer your credits to an accredited undergraduate university, graduate and then apply to dental schools.

hi,
i m naureen a student of B.D.S (bachelors of dental surgery)in Fatimajinnah dental college.which is recognised by university of Karachi, in Pakistan.
presently i m in my third year of study.as i mentioned for some reasons my family is moving to USA i wanted to know about if i can get transfer in any university of USA .......and if i can what should i do for getting I-20 papers so that i can get student's visa.(the degree of BDS is equivalent to DDS degree).
thanx
naureen

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that some dental schools do offer advanced standing to graduated dentists from non-US dental schools, but I'm not sure about the transfer issue.

Most dental schools, I believe, will only take transfers into the third year of the DDS program. This is generally the beginning of the clinical portion of a DDS curriculum.

Where in the US is your family moving?

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

I've checked out many USA dental school web sites. It appears that the private schools offer most of the advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists. However, as turtleboard mentioned, those programs appear to be available only to someone who has graduated from a foreign dental school and is licensed to practice as a dentist in their own country. I am not aware of any program that would enable a foreign dental student to transfer to a dental school in the USA if that student is still working towards their first professional degree in a foreign dental school.

You could check out the possibility of competing against all other first year applicants to USA dental schools once you have moved to the USA. I noticed in the Temple Dental School class annuals that some of the graduates in each class appear to have been foreign students who were accepted as first year dental students without having attended an undergraduate school in the USA.

Welcome to America. I'm sure our country will benefit greatly from your presence and contributions. Good luck.

hi,thanx for the reply thanx a lot
i m just confused about which degree u call for graduate and which for undergraduate.in Pakistan here only one degree is offered and that is of B.D.S(bachelors of dental surgery)
i've heared that in US there a degree of D.D.S is offered which is same as that of B.D.S here.well if i apply for D.D.S and get addmission in any dental school of US will i have to repeat all my courses that i've already cleared in my first and second year again or r there any possibilities that i just do those courses that i havet done
.as i,ve said that i m in third year and from third year here the clinical practice starts and its almost the end of third year so i also know many clinical procedures.can u tell me the names of any dental colleges that consider my case and r situated in DALLAS or NEWYORK or in any other city ...plz reply

hi thanx for the reply
as u mentioned that some universities in US give transfer in third year of DDS......so what r the requirements for getting transfer there......plz reply me
thanx
Naureen

dr naureen
I hope I did not confuse you about transferring to a USA dental school as a third year dental student. Unless you will have graduated from your dental school in Pakistan and obtained your license to practice in Pakistan prior to moving to the USA, I belive your only option will be to compete against all other applicants for acceptance as a first year dental student. What I was trying to say is that I believe some USA dental schools will give you credit for having completed the academic requirements for admission as a first year dental student so that you will not have to repeat any of those courses at a USA college. Once you are accepted to a USA dental school as a first year dental student, you may be able to avoid having to repeat some of the basic science courses by passing tests on such subjects. However, which courses (if any) that you would be allowed to challenge for credit would be dependent upon individual school policy.
I would bet the BDS degree in Pakistan is based upon the British system. The BDS degree in England and other British Commonwealth nations is equivalent to the DDS/DMD degree in the USA.

Transfers are always for other US Dental School students and NOT foreign dental students.

You should probably just reapply to dental school here, but you need to take the DAT.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.