Help me with my school list? Not sure where I stand.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailorHg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm planning on submitting AACOMAS in August, after summer classes are done. My school list is below. Please let me know if I'm crazy, or if I should add more schools! Thank you!!

AACOMAS stats: cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.4 (lot's of post-bacc GPA repair up from a 2.3 cGPA)
MCAT: 513

Volunteering: 450 hours (200 clinical, 250 non-clinical)
Shadowing: currently at ~15 hours with a DO, will have a LOR when I submit

PNWU (strong ties to the state; have visited the school and loved it)
CCOM (extreme reach, but from the area)
DMU-COM (very familiar with Des Moines)
AZCOM
Nova
LECOM
LECOM-SH
LECOM-B
MSU-COM
WU-COMP
WU-COMNW
BCOM
ACOM
RVUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Paging @Goro lol

I think your chances are good though that post bac repair as well as that gorgeous 513 will get you some IIs you need to get that shadowing up though and maybe try to boost the volunteering a little before your app cycle. Remember with these hours more is always better.

Overall though just make sure you meet the school's mission statement and you should be fine.

Good Luck

Add both Westerns, all Touros, NYITCOM (both NY and AR), MUCOM, KCOM, SOMA

Hey everyone! I'm planning on submitting AACOMAS in August, after summer classes are done. My school list is below. Please let me know if I'm crazy, or if I should add more schools! Thank you!!

AACOMAS stats: cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.4 (lot's of post-bacc GPA repair up from a 2.3 cGPA)
MCAT: 513

Volunteering: 450 hours (200 clinical, 250 non-clinical)
Shadowing: currently at ~15 hours with a DO, will have a LOR when I submit

PNWU (strong ties to the state; have visited the school and loved it)
CCOM (extreme reach, but from the area)
DMU-COM (very familiar with Des Moines)
AZCOM
Nova
LECOM
LECOM-SH
LECOM-B
MSU-COM
WU-COMP
WU-COMNW
BCOM
ACOM
RVUCOM

Your list looks good. Your MCAT will make up for your gpa (I had similar stats to yours)

Just make sure you fit the schools mission so you don't waste money applying (ex: rural focus, underserved, regional bias, etc)

Illinois. I was born in Washington, though, and have a significant amount of family there.
I would skip MSUCOM....tuition is too high for OS.

Add MUCOM and CUSOM

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

I would skip MSUCOM....tuition is too high for OS.

Add MUCOM and CUSOM

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Good point. It's highly unlikely that I would end up in a scenario where MSUCOM was my only acceptance anyways. Thank you for the input!

Good list, we have very similar stats and it got me 4 II's. Apply early though, I think that's where I had my downfall.

Good list, we have very similar stats and it got me 4 II's. Apply early though, I think that's where I had my downfall.

Hey I know it's not just you using this. But originally I had thought when people said "IIs" I assumed they were talking about secondary applications. But does this mean interviews or secondaries?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey I know it's not just you using this. But originally I had thought when people said "IIs" I assumed they were talking about secondary applications. But does this mean interviews or secondaries?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Interview Invite

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What part of Illinois are you from? If you're from south Illinois then you should apply to their in-state MD down there. I honestly don't remember the name of the school but my classmates from Illinois talk about it

What part of Illinois are you from? If you're from south Illinois then you should apply to their in-state MD down there. I honestly don't remember the name of the school but my classmates from Illinois talk about it

Southern Illinois University? The 25% in-state interview rate is VERY tempting but I think I'm "reject bait" there. I currently live near Chicago so I'm outside their mission's service area (although I have lived south of I-80 in the past, which is an arbitrary metric I've heard used for them). I'm very interested in primary care, but MD stats are trash: 2.7 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA*. I did a hypothetical calculation for an application in June to see if it's worth it, and it doesn't look like it is.

*I have retaken two F's and two D's and several C's in mostly non-science courses from undergrad in my post-bacc to get my AACOMAS cGPA over 3.0.

By AAMC's table 24-A (for white applicants), I am (conservatively) in the 2.6-2.79 and 30-32 bucket. Applicants with these stats historically have a 17% chance of acceptance. I guess it's a non-zero number I'm willing to pay to have a chance at? I just feel like an idiot submitting AMCAS with those numbers.

Last edited:
Southern Illinois University? The 25% in-state interview rate is VERY tempting but I think I'm "reject bait" there. I currently live near Chicago so I'm outside their mission's service area (although I have lived south of I-80 in the past, which is an arbitrary metric I've heard used for them). I'm very interested in primary care, but MD stats are trash: 2.7 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA*. I did a hypothetical calculation for an application in June to see if it's worth it, and it doesn't look like it is.

*I have retaken two F's and two D's and several C's in mostly non-science courses from undergrad in my post-bacc to get my AACOMAS cGPA over 3.0.

By AAMC's table 24-A (for white applicants), I am (conservatively) in the 2.6-2.79 and 30-32 bucket. Applicants with these stats historically have a 17% chance of acceptance. I guess it's a non-zero number I'm willing to pay to have a chance at? I just feel like an idiot submitting AMCAS with those numbers.

You're right that SIU's mission statement is VERY specific. If you cater your personal statement to wanting to do primary care in underserved areas of central IL, I bet you could get an interview at least. Why do you think that CCOM is such a reach?

You're right that SIU's mission statement is VERY specific. If you cater your personal statement to wanting to do primary care in underserved areas of central IL, I bet you could get an interview at least. Why do you think that CCOM is such a reach?

That's heartening. Becoming a PCP in an underserved area truly is my goal so I'm hoping that will be evident in my personal statement.

The reason I think many schools will be reaches for me is that my cGPA from 4.5 years of undergrad before my post-bacc is 2.37. My last year had a steep downward trend.

I changed my major many times and limped along with B's and C's. I started taking math and programming classes late in my junior year and crashed and burned with it senior year because I didn't have the study habits and was extremely burnt out.

Last edited:

Specifically for CCOM: I have heard a rep say that they do not look favorably on low GPA, high MCAT or vice versa applicants because "a competitive applicant will have the whole package." The rep did not know my stats, but she seemed adamant none the less.

Specifically for CCOM: I have heard a rep say that they do not look favorably on low GPA, high MCAT or vice versa applicants because "a competitive applicant will have the whole package." The rep did not know my stats, but she seemed adamant none the less.

For what it's worth I got accepted to CCOM with a high MCAT and low GPA. After a SMP I ended up with a sGPA of 3.3. Obviously there's more to every applicant than just those two numbers and I know I very well may be an exception, but I still think it's worth an application for other people with similar stats.