Help me in analyzing data by Stata!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinhNguyen85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a small problem on analyzing data in my thesis.
My research covers about 300 adolescents, with variables such as age, height, gender, systolic and diastolic blood pressure, waist circumference,...
I want to separate a group of high blood pressure from this group by the definition of hypertension for adolescent according to age&height&gender (which means that I have to find out the 85th percentile number). Which methods, maths functions and programs i have to use? I have no experience in this field, this is my 1st research!

Please help me!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a small problem on analyzing data in my thesis.
My research covers about 300 adolescents, with variables such as age, height, gender, systolic and diastolic blood pressure, waist circumference,...
I want to separate a group of high blood pressure from this group by the definition of hypertension for adolescent according to age&height&gender (which means that I have to find out the 85th percentile number). Which methods, maths functions and programs i have to use? I have no experience in this field, this is my 1st research!

Please help me!!

You can't just post on a forum expecting everyone else to tell you step by step how to do a research project. It doesn't work like that.

For data analysis, SAS will always be your best bet if you are affliated with an academic institution that will pay for it. If SAS isn't an option, get R since it's free and read up on how to use it.

The steps you described are realtively straight simple: just a few 'if' and 'then' statements to create a dummy variable will work just fine.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about take a class in computing statistics

Good luck

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

You need to decide what your outcome(s) of interest are and then what statistical approach you will use. It sounds like you may want to do a logistic regression predicting hypertensive status.

It sounds like you will need some significant mentoring. Perhaps contact the department of biostatistics at your school or a biostatistics "core" lab or center. At least at my school there is a clinical research center that will provide biostats support, you might have something similar available.

Good Luck!