What are you using to collect research data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor7

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post your favorite software / provider for collecting research data.

My institution has RedCap but it would still cost $100/hr and minimum 20+ hours to set things up. I can't be spending $2K of my funds for every study.

I'm fairly computer savvy but no ability to write code / install server modules.
Some of my colleagues have used Survey Monkey, but is there something that can actually do controlled studies and offer branching / randomization?

Members don't see this ad.

SurveyMonkey allows for things like skip logic and randomization, but I think you have to have one of their subscription packages. Still, it's cheaper than a REDCap programmer.

There is also a company called PsychData (www.psychdata.com) that has a more customizable DIY survey platform. You could easily run randomized experiments with different instruction sets, stimulus presentations, item order, and things like that. I really liked their service but I'm not sure what their pricing is like currently. Surely far less expensive than $2K though!!

Basic Surveys: Survey Monkey, Wufoo, JotForm, Google Forms, etc.

There are literally dozens of the above if all you want to do is collect survey data. NONE of the above will actually allow you to do branching in your study i.e. control arm vs. experimental arm. MamaPhD, please correct me if you know differently, but any randomization in Survey Monkey is only scrambling the question or answers in a survey. These are almost all self-service so no programming skills and they're all either free or cheap $.
-I'll use one of these whenever I can if all I need is a basic survey. I've tried several and they're all about the same.

RCTs and other multi-branch studies:

Custom Jobs - lots of options here...OpenClinica, Medrio (use to be free for edu - not anymore), etc...Stanford uses STRIDE-RDM: not self-service so you will be paying $$$, also, you can just hire a programmer to build a website or app for you $$$. Think about it, if a human needs to help you every step of the way, it's gonna cost money. I've used custom programming when the funds are available and the study is requesting a complicated task - like collecting a gps-taged picture during the study.

RedCap - less dependent on programmer than above...some parts are self service and technically free, but as you pointed out still gotta cough up $$ for setup. These guys are popular for a reason, your institution already ponied up the salary for the programmer...you just need to supplement it's use. I use RedCap when the price is right...i.e. not too complicated and the estimated setup is <$1K...I agree, $2K is too much and I might look at another option.

SherlockMD - they only offer a self-service option - currently free; i initially used this with students, foreign and any under-funded controlled study. Nobody to help you, but you don't need to know any programming. Over time, I'm doing more with them as I can probably save time vs. "having" to engage a programmer as above.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There are literally dozens of the above if all you want to do is collect survey data. NONE of the above will actually allow you to do branching in your study i.e. control arm vs. experimental arm. MamaPhD, please correct me if you know differently, but any randomization in Survey Monkey is only scrambling the question or answers in a survey.

No, PsychData will allow you to branch off to one survey versus another in a randomized fashion. You can link surveys seamlessly (sort of like linking instruments in REDCap), so the way to do it is to set up multiple surveys and link them via the random survey assignment function. You can also present different instruction sets or stimuli randomly.

@lolinad

Looking at the policy for several of these sites, they outright say that they have access to anything you input.

Unless your institution explicitly subscribes to a service listed, turning control of your data to a 3rd party requires an okay from your IRB / privacy officers. Even if it's de-identified, it's still technically property of your institution.

You do NOT want the IRB "police" coming after you for not protecting your data.

You do NOT want the IRB "police" coming after you for not protecting your data.

Good point, though I think it's a given that you don't collect data with a web-based survey without having your methods approved by IRB beforehand. I've used PsychData and SurveyMonkey without any IRB-related issues.