Help me decide: USC vs. Lincoln Memorial University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plums101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC vs. Lincoln Memorial University?

I am from California and I live about an hour away from USC. I am interested in specializing (perhaps OMFS or dental anesthesia) but not committed. However, this may change as I explore other options in dental school.

I really want to be close to my family in SoCal but at the same time I want to keep my financial burden as low as possible (especially since I am interested in specializing). I am also afraid that if I am not compatible with PBL, my GPA and class rank will suffer and hurt my chances of getting into a residency program. I am also concerned with both schools' abilities to prepare students for the boards.

USC

Pros:
  • Close to home, I will be living on campus but it is nice to be close to your support system of family and friends and I do plan on going back home on some weekends
  • Great weather, familiar with LA
  • Has in-house residency programs, can interact with faculty to learn more about specialties and build connections
  • Accredited school with a reputation (I don't think this is an important factor though)
  • I have heard from students that most school days are only half a day as opposed to being 9-5?
Cons:
  • Crazy expensive tuition/fees of ~455k
  • PBL curriculum, not sure I will be comfortable with the PBL style of learning
LMU

Pros:
  • Much lower tuition/fees of ~275k (compared to USC which is ~455), better cost of living
  • I think LMU will be traditional/didactic and not PBL?
Cons:
  • Located in Knoxville, TN, very far from home in California
  • New school (will be first graduating class), unsure of how things will go, will there be missteps by school administration? am I a guinea pig?
  • Has applied for initial accreditation but not yet an accredited school (will this affect acceptances to residency programs?)
  • Does not have in-house residency programs (would my ability to interact with faculty in my specialty of choice even affect my ability to get residencies?)
Any insight, especially from current students, would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to correct me on my pros and cons list!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t like either of these options, but USC is suicide. I don’t think you would ever recover financially from that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending LMU and I am not afraid to be part of their first class. I think it’ll be special. I have done my research and they definitely know what they’re doing. It’s not comparable to HPU that doesn’t seem to have it together and are keeping things sus. At my interview they even mentioned how they want us to have residency options by the time our class gets to it. I am 100% sure LMU will not be a regretful decision. I know someone that chose LMU over USC and another place because the financial situation. You not only have to calculate tuition but living cost and that number adds up quick. Of course not trying to be biased and wish you the best of luck wherever you choose to attend dental school.

I will be attending LMU and I am not afraid to be part of their first class. I think it’ll be special. I have done my research and they definitely know what they’re doing. It’s not comparable to HPU that doesn’t seem to have it together and are keeping things sus. At my interview they even mentioned how they want us to have residency options by the time our class gets to it. I am 100% sure LMU will not be a regretful decision. I know someone that chose LMU over USC and another place because the financial situation. You not only have to calculate tuition but living cost and that number adds up quick. Of course not trying to be biased and wish you the best of luck wherever you choose to attend dental school.
Easy on the Kool-Aid bro

No one ever thought dental school was cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users