Help me decide: Michigan (IS) vs Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bommer2323

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School 1: The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
* IS
Pros:
  • closer to home
  • closer to SO (maybe)
  • Cheaper $$$
  • Great reputation in Michigan
Cons:
  • Graded
  • more competitive environment?
School 2: Harvard School of Dental Medicine

Pros:
  • Harvard
  • Boston seems cool
  • P/F unranked
  • Excellent match rates
  • Med School curriculum (cool)
  • would be an adventure
  • Really clicked with interviewers and students
Cons:
  • Cost $$$$$
  • Far from home
  • Far from SO
Summary:

I feel very fortunate to have been accepted to both of these schools the past week. I will be dropping another seat I hold for one of these two schools. Family is important to me and my undergrad is really only 45 minutes from home, so that is definitely one large plus for UMICH. My SO of 2+ years is applying to Genetic counseling programs and for those unfamiliar that is a two-year masters program that uses a MATCH system. UMICH has a program and so does Wayne State but there is no guarantee she interviews or matches to those schools and the MATCH date isn't until April. I am not entirely sure I want to specialize after I graduate but OMFS and Peds are things I'm thinking about. I think if I knew 100% I wanted to be a GP I would go to UMICH, and was always hoping to go, but my Harvard acceptance really shook up my decision-making. I loved my Harvard interview, it was very personal and even though it was through zoom I felt extremely welcomed. UMICH MMIs are MMIs so it's hard to tell what the people are like totally but have been to Ann Arbor a few times to visit friends at UMICH and enjoy the town. I also know costs are a huge factor as the difference will be above 100K and my debt could be greater than a decent mortgage. I don't want to go to Harvard just because of "Harvard" but I'm probably leaning that way for the feel of the school, Med school curriculum, support for awesome ECs, Boston Adventure and ability to specialize. Any insight on either school would be greatly appreciated.
cheapest

Reactions: 2 users
SDN seems a bit like a broken record about this, I was really hoping to get some more insight than just cheapest.

Reactions: 1 user
Being close to my family and my SO + in-state tuition were the two major pros that pushed me over to decide on Michigan vs. insert-expensive-ivy-out-of-state-school-here. To me, those two factors would impact my quality of life the most during and after dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan is a fantastic school and you will still be able to do any specialty you want from there. Think long and hard about whether you are willing to do literally zero dental related stuff your entire d1 year at harvard. Also, to repeat what others have said, no school is worth 100k more than another.

You said the cost difference is greater than 100k. With interest, that number will jump up even higher to 200k. Go Michigan. Both are great schools. No reason to spend the equivalent of a super nice house for the same education.

Reactions: 3 users
SDN seems a bit like a broken record about this, I was really hoping to get some more insight than just cheapest.
If you're set on OMFS, HSDM has done well matching recently. The last seven years have had a 100% match rate with 67 out of 67 D4's matching OMFS. Average class size is 35, and the last three cycles matched 11/11, 11/11, and 12/12.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
If you're set on OMFS, HSDM has done well matching recently. The last seven years have had a 100% match rate with 67 out of 67 D4's matching OMFS. Average class size is 35, and the last three cycles matched 11/11, 11/11, and 12/12.
Big if. and the OP already stated he's not entirely sure he wants to specialize. There are people I know personally who were set on OMFS as D1's but as they went through school realized they didn't want to do OMFS for a variety of reasons.

Big if. and the OP already stated he's not entirely sure he wants to specialize. There are people I know personally who were set on OMFS as D1's but as they went through school realized they didn't want to do OMFS for a variety of reasons.
To be fair, most of these OMFS D1 gunners that end up at their state school get weeded out through class rank, CBSE, etc., and drop OMFS as a result. I know many of my classmates gave up on their goals of becoming a surgeon after seeing their class rank for the first time.

I'm sure there is a stark contrast when compared to a P/F school with an integrated medical curriculum like HSDM.

To be fair, most of these OMFS D1 gunners that end up at their state school get weeded out through class rank, CBSE, etc., and drop OMFS as a result. I know many of my classmates gave up on their goals of becoming a surgeon after seeing their class rank for the first time.

I'm sure there is a stark contrast when compared to a P/F school with an integrated medical curriculum like HSDM.
Yeah that's certainly true, but this person is not dead set on specializing and also claims interest in Peds which does not care as much about class rank and is less competitive than OMFS. To your point, It's certainly true there are people who flub D1 and give up specializing or people who realized they wanted to specialize D3 year and didn't keep a good GPA their first two years.

Being close to my family and my SO + in-state tuition were the two major pros that pushed me over to decide on Michigan vs. insert-expensive-ivy-out-of-state-school-here. To me, those two factors would impact my quality of life the most during and after dental school.
Are you a current UM student? Would you mind if I pm you?

School 1: The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
* IS
Pros:
  • closer to home
  • closer to SO (maybe)
  • Cheaper $$$
  • Great reputation in Michigan
Cons:
  • Graded
  • more competitive environment?
School 2: Harvard School of Dental Medicine

Pros:
  • Harvard
  • Boston seems cool
  • P/F unranked
  • Excellent match rates
  • Med School curriculum (cool)
  • would be an adventure
  • Really clicked with interviewers and students
Cons:
  • Cost $$$$$
  • Far from home
  • Far from SO
Summary:

I feel very fortunate to have been accepted to both of these schools the past week. I will be dropping another seat I hold for one of these two schools. Family is important to me and my undergrad is really only 45 minutes from home, so that is definitely one large plus for UMICH. My SO of 2+ years is applying to Genetic counseling programs and for those unfamiliar that is a two-year masters program that uses a MATCH system. UMICH has a program and so does Wayne State but there is no guarantee she interviews or matches to those schools and the MATCH date isn't until April. I am not entirely sure I want to specialize after I graduate but OMFS and Peds are things I'm thinking about. I think if I knew 100% I wanted to be a GP I would go to UMICH, and was always hoping to go, but my Harvard acceptance really shook up my decision-making. I loved my Harvard interview, it was very personal and even though it was through zoom I felt extremely welcomed. UMICH MMIs are MMIs so it's hard to tell what the people are like totally but have been to Ann Arbor a few times to visit friends at UMICH and enjoy the town. I also know costs are a huge factor as the difference will be above 100K and my debt could be greater than a decent mortgage. I don't want to go to Harvard just because of "Harvard" but I'm probably leaning that way for the feel of the school, Med school curriculum, support for awesome ECs, Boston Adventure and ability to specialize. Any insight on either school would be greatly appreciated.
Harvard's curriculum is more medical school based vs. UMICH is more dental based (DDS). Ask yourself where would you see yourself for the next 4 years?

how are you predicting the state of the economy in 4 years?
I read the news, not watch TikTok. There’s nothing positive on the horizon, and we’re facing serious structural headwinds. And then there’s always the random dictator that decides to invade a sovereign nation to mix things up. You predicting a booming economy?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
I read the news, not watch TikTok. There’s nothing positive on the horizon, and we’re facing serious structural headwinds. And then there’s always the random dictator that decides to invade a sovereign nation to mix things up. You predicting a booming economy?

Big Hoss
I mean I never said I was predicting a booming economy and there's really also no need for your first sentence as the reply. I mean great for you for watching the news and not TikTok. Bottom line is really no one has the ability to predict the future, not even economic analysts who do it for a living, so I was just curious as to where your information was coming from, which you so nicely stated was the news and not TikTok. Also why do you call yourself a legend, kinda weird to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users
Also why do you call yourself a legend, kinda weird to be honest.
E68598CC-8F2A-4E85-8F14-B9BC2F22B3C0.jpeg

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
aside the drama, since you do have an interest in OMFS, i would definitely consider HSDM. whether that interest is strong/weak and how that will affect your decision is your call. but, the match rates discussed above is certainly not something to ignore. yes money is a huge factor. i myself will be going to a similar private school so i know the debt is a lot. go with your gut. make sure you make an informed decision and have no regrets at the end of the day

Michigan has a great reputation beyond Michigan. Being close to your family and support network is important and is why I chose to pursue my in-state school over other ivy league schools. Additionally for HSDM, if you have not been apart of a small learning environment, you might also find it incredibly draining to be at such a small school for four years.

That said its Harvard, and its nice to say you go to Harvard - until you pay the bill for Harvard.