Help me choose! UCF vs. UF vs. UMiami (premed)

MDKA0115

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I will be a biology major next fall at one of the following universities:

University of Central Florida:
Full-ride (due to National Merit Scholarship)
Burnett Medical Scholar (BMS), which guarantees admission into its medical school if some conditions are met. However, these conditions are not easy. 3.75 GPA and 512 MCAT.
Honors college
If I change major, UCF is not highly ranked.

University of Florida:
Best ranked school among the ones under consideration.
Full-ride
Honors program (there is no such thing as honors college at UF)
No guarantee

U. of Miami
I have ~50K in scholarships. Thus COA is about $20K/year.
Private university -> more resources.
No guarantee

I don't care much about the location, food or dorm quality. I care about my chances of becoming a doctor and friendships/social networks. I am STEM-oriented, but I am not 100% sure on medical school. I like the profession as far as I can tell, but I have not had much experience beyond what a typical HS student knows.

I am struggling immensely. I would very much appreciate any help/guidance.
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go with U of Miami if you've gotten full rides at the other schools; UF and UCF will have enough resources for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks carebear204. If I understand correctly, you say that the advantage of attending UF outweighs the Burnett Medical Scholar guarantee into the medical school. The med school admission process seems to be so competitive that this guarantee looks priceless to me on one hand, but on the other hand I cannot make those requirements and/or change majors, UF degree seems to go further in other majors. BTW, would UCF undergraduate limit me in terms of getting acceptance into top medical schools? Assuming that I have 4.0 GPA and 520+ MCAT, would I be competitive for top medical schools coming out of UCF?

Thanks ebno: As far as I can understand, you say UMiami does not worth the extra $20K/year over UF or UCF.
I need to add that my parent allocated $100K for my education, be it UG or Grad. If there is a reasonable advantage over other schools, I can pay UMiami as well. Are you saying that that money can be better spent?

Thank you very very much!!!

Thanks carebear204. If I understand correctly, you say that the advantage of attending UF outweighs the Burnett Medical Scholar guarantee into the medical school. The med school admission process seems to be so competitive that this guarantee looks priceless to me on one hand, but on the other hand I cannot make those requirements and/or change majors, UF degree seems to go further in other majors. BTW, would UCF undergraduate limit me in terms of getting acceptance into top medical schools? Assuming that I have 4.0 GPA and 520+ MCAT, would I be competitive for top medical schools coming out of UCF?

Thanks ebno: As far as I can understand, you say UMiami does not worth the extra $20K/year over UF or UCF.
I need to add that my parent allocated $100K for my education, be it UG or Grad. If there is a reasonable advantage over other schools, I can pay UMiami as well. Are you saying that that money can be better spent?

Personally, I don't think it matters much where you go (I just like UF more than UCF, personal preference lol). I think it's important to be well-rounded and have experiences on your application that show diversity of interests. Not to deter you from medical school, but you might still change your mind - chose a program where you feel at home and where you'll have the opportunity to be exposed to many different things. I went to a small private school with an honors program in a major city. I ended up adding a minor and another major because the programs were incredible and the professors were amazing. Above all, think about where you'll be happiest - try to picture yourself at these places. You can get a 4.0 and a 520 no matter where you go. It'll be easier though if you're happy with where you are. Hope this helps!

To add on - don't spend more money than you have to. Trust me - you'll have enough loans from med school, you don't need extra from undergrad!

Thanks carebear204. It looks like UMiami is out of consideration. One less school to worry about!

Thanks carebear204. It looks like UMiami is out of consideration. One less school to worry about!
Full disclosure - I love UMiami, after I interviewed there for med school I was completely sold. It's top 3 for me. For undergrad though, like I said, I think the top 3 things to focus on are tuition, access to different experiences and opportunities, and how you "feel" about the school. Also I think location is important (especially if you want to stay in FL for med school - go to a school in FL).

I don't know too much about U of Miami, but I think in your case you should consider UF. It seems to be the most financially wise choice along with its reputation and rank--not saying that you should choose it for prestige, but with the info that you've provided I think it's a good fit!

Whatever you choose, good luck and congrats on the full ride!

Go where you feel the most comfortable. I would think about location (college town vs city) and other issues even if you say you do not care. I lived 6 years in Gainesville as a resident and fellow. It is a great town. As for "better chance"... it doesn't matter that much.

Let me dial in on this conversation, since I am connected to all three.

My daughter is finishing at UCF BMS. I graduated from UF Med/ Junior Honors 30 years ago. I am teaching @UM, with daily contact with residents from all over the country.

If you want to go to medical school, and that is your priority, go to UCF BMS. That would make your path much easier. I met too, too many UF students starting out premed, doing some heath related career, but not MD. They are all very good students. There are just too many UF good students out there. You might be in the top, you might not be. It is a new ball game next four years.

UM might be costly, but I also met many, many UM-UM-UM residents. They do seem to protect their own good students. But at a financial cost, of course.

UCF BMS. That is a more secure of the three. Keep up the good GPA, MCAT score., admission is straight forward. You might think those are are high standards, "If I can get those marks, why I am staying at UCF?" Don't think too highly of yourself. Those are NOT high marks. Average UF matriculant has 3.85-3.9, MCAT 514. Those UCF benchmarks are intentionally set to stress students a bit, but not to freak them out. It is a good benchmark.

Just get in, then you can talk. If you can't, all this this vs. that, that vs. this, is nonsense.

Look at UF, UM, UCF resident matching list this year. UF match well, UM match well, UCF matched well. They matched better compare to FSU/ FAU/ USF medical schools.

I was very impressed with UCF, year after year after year, they have 6, 7, 8 people matched into dermatology.

I was disappointed with USF match, too many primary care, too many regional, non-prominent matching. USF has changed their admission policy over the last 1-2 years, they are taking high MCAT scoring students now, 516 with latest data, which is highest of all Florida schools. The new crop might buck this ho-hum matching from USF.

I will ask my resident "Where did you go for college and medical school?" That is just my conversation starting point, has very little meaning after that. So don't think too highly of where you go. In medicine, your reputation is depend on four letter "WORK". You are judged by your work, wherever you come from.

Your triple AAA, "ability, availability, and affability" is most important. How affable are you?

Reactions: 1 users
FAU is a great school. Small, but well supported by the Jewish community of Boca Raton.

BS/MD FAU, the BS part, you can do it at FAU Honors College at Jupitor, or main campus at Boca Raton.

If you got allocated to Jupitor and you like to do research, stay there for Scripp/ Plank Institute. But Jupitor campus is small 600 students total.

Otherwise, I would ask to be allocated to Boca main campus, it is more like a regular college campus.

Great school, take good care of their students.

Reactions: 1 users
Great, neat place.

You could probably buy a small, nice condo. It will save your family some money over the next 8 years. And the whole NY family can enjoy the Boca area, you are only short distance from the beach.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me dial in on this conversation, since I am connected to all three.

My daughter is finishing at UCF BMS. I graduated from UF Med/ Junior Honors 30 years ago. I am teaching @UM, with daily contact with residents from all over the country.

If you want to go to medical school, and that is your priority, go to UCF BMS. That would make your path much easier. I met too, too many UF students starting out premed, doing some heath related career, but not MD. They are all very good students. There are just too many UF good students out there. You might be in the top, you might not be. It is a new ball game next four years.

UM might be costly, but I also met many, many UM-UM-UM residents. They do seem to protect their own good students. But at a financial cost, of course.

UCF BMS. That is a more secure of the three. Keep up the good GPA, MCAT score., admission is straight forward. You might think those are are high standards, "If I can get those marks, why I am staying at UCF?" Don't think too highly of yourself. Those are NOT high marks. Average UF matriculant has 3.85-3.9, MCAT 514. Those UCF benchmarks are intentionally set to stress students a bit, but not to freak them out. It is a good benchmark.

Just get in, then you can talk. If you can't, all this this vs. that, that vs. this, is nonsense.

Look at UF, UM, UCF resident matching list this year. UF match well, UM match well, UCF matched well. They matched better compare to FSU/ FAU/ USF medical schools.

I was very impressed with UCF, year after year after year, they have 6, 7, 8 people matched into dermatology.

I was disappointed with USF match, too many primary care, too many regional, non-prominent matching. USF has changed their admission policy over the last 1-2 years, they are taking high MCAT scoring students now, 516 with latest data, which is highest of all Florida schools. The new crop might buck this ho-hum matching from USF.

I will ask my resident "Where did you go for college and medical school?" That is just my conversation starting point, has very little meaning after that. So don't think too highly of where you go. In medicine, your reputation is depend on four letter "WORK". You are judged by your work, wherever you come from.

Your triple AAA, "ability, availability, and affability" is most important. How affable are you?

HI SteyrFWB,
My child has also gotten into the BMS program at UCF and the HPM program at University of Miami. We are trying to figure out what would be the best option. HPM program at Uof M is not guaranteed but seems to prepare the student for the medical school track whereas the BMS program is guaranteed. If you know more about both these programs student success rates and/or information, please share.
Thanks in advance.

I don't think National Merit for UM is a full ride. It is more like a "half ride". It only matches the highest cost of attending at the highest PUBLIC Florida school, which is FSU.

But that "half ride" National Merit, when matched with other UM scholarship, could become a full ride.