Help me choose pre med UG

AspiringDr2028

Reaction score
I have ben accepted to the following UG schools and seek guidance on where I should go for good pre med track and success in medical school application:
Stony Brook (instate) - awaiting honors notification
UConn STEM Honors - OOS with good merit scholarship
SUNY Binghamton Research Immersion Program - instate
UPitt - OOS - waitlisted for Honors and no merit

Members don't see this ad.

All these undergrads are pretty comparable. I would choose based on cost and location if I were you.

Pitt does have a top tier med school though, so I would take that into consideration. Going there might afford you the opportunity to get mentorship/research with some of the most renowned physicians/scientists in the world.

Reactions: 1 user
All these undergrads are pretty comparable. I would choose based on cost and location if I were you.

Pitt does have a top tier med school though, so I would take that into consideration. Going there might afford you the opportunity to get mentorship/research with some of the most renowned physicians/scientists in the world.

With no merit, UPitt would be the most expensive (double of Stony Brook) and waitlist on the honors program

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Binghamton Research Immersion Program - instate
I went to SUNY bing. You can really coast premed and get a good gpa here. Freshman Research Immersion is really good, its 3 semesters long and its pretty intensive during the last 2. People walk away with at minimum 1 or 2 posters + presentation, but its a way to get early pubs if youre in a good lab/work hard. It also sets you up for research all 4 years via networking with a PI/professor which is good for MD or MD/Phd in general. Very healthy work hard play hard mentality here, people go out and have fun (up to 4x a week) if thats your thing but people are also dead set on getting their work done. One thing to note is that it is pretty gloomy here most days from sept -> march which if you have SAD or just want to see the sun more often take that into consideration. It is a very homey town tho. Did you also get into the scholars program?

People dont really like SUNY Stonybrook, it feels old and theres a lot of commuters (biased also bc that was my take when I visited. 6 years ago my choice was stony vs bing). I dont know what part of NY youre from but as someone who would not be close to home, I liked the feeling of knowing most students are not from the area. I know it has a med school but if you were to attend binghamton and do well, it wouldnt put you at a disadvantage at all if you wanted to apply there. I know 2 people from bing-> stonybrook med.

IMO you should cut costs now while you can before the debt of medical school.

Anyone feel free to chime in if they have specifics on Stony or UConn STEM Honors

If you pick SUNY Bing, PM me and I can give you the street knowledge

Last edited:
Whatever lets you have the least debt. I'd go to a state school with a scholarship over anything that costs money.

I went to SUNY bing. You can really coast premed and get a good gpa here. Freshman Research Immersion is really good, its 3 semesters long and its pretty intensive during the last 2. People walk away with at minimum 1 or 2 posters + presentation, but its a way to get early pubs if youre in a good lab/work hard. It also sets you up for research all 4 years via networking with a PI/professor which is good for MD or MD/Phd in general. Very healthy work hard play hard mentality here, people go out and have fun (up to 4x a week) if thats your thing but people are also dead set on getting their work done. One thing to note is that it is pretty gloomy here most days from sept -> march which if you have SAD or just want to see the sun more often take that into consideration. It is a very homey town tho. Did you also get into the scholars program?

People dont really like SUNY Stonybrook, it feels old and theres a lot of commuters (biased also bc that was my take when I visited. 6 years ago my choice was stony vs bing). I dont know what part of NY youre from but as someone who would not be close to home, I liked the feeling of knowing most students are not from the area. I know it has a med school but if you were to attend binghamton and do well, it wouldnt put you at a disadvantage at all if you wanted to apply there. I know 2 people from bing-> stonybrook med.

IMO you should cut costs now while you can before the debt of medical school.

Anyone feel free to chime in if they have specifics on Stony or UConn STEM Honors

If you pick SUNY Bing, PM me and I can give you the street knowledge

Thank you very much - that is helpful.
How was Bing pre med advising? Do they do a committee letter for med school? How is the opportunity for shadowing/volunteering?

Thank you very much - that is helpful.
How was Bing pre med advising? Do they do a committee letter for med school? How is the opportunity for shadowing/volunteering?
Didnt really use too much of the pre-med advising I was lucky to make friends with a lot of upper classmen. Yes comittee letter. The hospitals will def take on volunteers i know that for a fact. I never shadowed here though, I did that in my hometown over the summer.

Edit: there are 4 hospitals in the area, research is abundant here too (new pharmacy school that takes on UG students to do research in labs), building a nursing school, redoing/modeling the oldest housing on campus, new nursing building where the 5th floor will actually be an office/lounge space for SUNY upstate. SUNY upstate also takes a lot of binghamton early assurance kids if thats your thing. Bing and the town in general is on the upswing. Not tryna sell you on it but just inform you! Again pm open

Last edited:
Congrats on getting in!

Another thing to consider: I would say take locational fit into consideration. Are you excited to go out of state or do you prefer not to? Obviously instate would save some money, but if you want to go for the experience I don't see why not. Good luck!