[HELP!] I really want to get into the HCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antibody1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have really low GPA (around 2.9) from UC Berkeley.
I majored in bioengineering; so, I finished almost all pre-requisites.

I know it doesn't matter how well I did in high school, but I was a valedictorian with almost 4.5 GPA cumulative. I was also a Regents' and Chancellor's scholar for 4 years at UCB.

I just failed keeping a good GPA because a lot of unfortunes happened to me.

Anyway, my current short goal is to get into the health career program at harvard extension.
I found a lot of pros about the program; so, I try to apply.

However, owen peterson, the program manager, discouraged me saying they haven't accepted anyone with a GPA below 3.0.

well, that means I can never get into the program right?

Should I still try to apply even though I know I won't get accepted?
or would it be good idea for me to take some pre-requisite classes at harvard extension then apply for the program?

Why do you only want to get into hcp at hes?

because I'd like to take more academic opportunities while studying at a new environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
because I'd like to take more academic opportunities while studying at a new environment.

Think you just described every single possible program at any possible location.

The question should be why HCP at HEP over any other program at any other location. Also you should ask the program director what you could possibly do to boost your resume if you want to enter HCP later down the road if that is the specific program you are after.

I know it doesn't matter how well I did in high school, but I was a valedictorian with almost 4.5 GPA cumulative. I was also a Regents' and Chancellor's scholar for 4 years at UCB.

Anyway, my current short goal is to get into the health career program at harvard extension.

However, owen peterson, the program manager, discouraged me saying they haven't accepted anyone with a GPA below 3.0.

or would it be good idea for me to take some pre-requisite classes at harvard extension then apply for the program?

With a 2.9 GPA, you need to prove that you can handle med school to admissions committees, even if you did go to Cal and majored in something difficult.

Since you've taken most of the prereqs, here's what I would do:
1. take the prereqs you're missing at a community college
2. Sort out whatever it was that kept you from getting low grades
3. Apply to an SMP the following year.

I don't want to break the bad news to you, but with a 2.9 you're going to have a rough time getting into any medical school, especially with no upward grade trend.

Unless you want to go to the caribbean or to a DO school, you should look into community college and an SMP.

I'd forget about the harvard extension if I were you.

Why not Berkeley Extension?