Can I get into an SMP Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed4ever

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

URM, First-Gen, Low SES and all that jazz.

Fresh: 2.15
Soph: 2.90
Junior: 3.15
--------------------
Summer Senior: 3.35
Fall Senior: Medical Withdrawal
Spring Senior: 3.7
----------------------
Summer Post-Bacc: 3.7
Fall Post-Bacc: Medical Withdrawal
Spring Post-Bacc: 3.9
Summer Post-Bacc: 4.0
Fall Post-Bacc: 3.7

Cumulative:
cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 516

I have a clear upward trend, but the medical withdrawals do not inspire confidence within me. The underlying issues behind the withdrawals have since been resolved after working with a good psychiatrist, but it has only been one year since I have put these issues behind me. Do I need another year of grades or an SMP before I apply DO?
Thanks for reading.
How many credits since the last withdrawal? And for the entire post-bac?

Members don't see this ad :)
48 earned credits since the last withdrawal. 56 total earned credits in the post bacc and I withdrew out of 16 in the Fall of 2019.
I am registered for classes this semester at 16 cr, but SMP's applications are beginning in the coming weeks. Med schools will see Spring, SMP's won't (unless I apply late)
I think that you're ready to apply to med school in this coming cycle!

I suggest these schools. Also, what ethnicity? State of residence?

Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Reactions: 1 users