Help going crazy!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skikreu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my step 1 score 198 on my second attempt and I'm going crazy. I studied like if my life depended on it aiming for 234+ and ended up 198. So guys what should I do??? I'm an US Img (carribean) should I quit??

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t quit what do you mean? You’re halfway through. Take a research year if you have to or do more community service. What are you interested in?
Make connections with residency program directors. You will be a doctor very soon. Congrats on successfully completing STEP one! There is also an opportunity to improve with STEP 2.
Don’t stress too much. In 5 years you’ll be a doctor and won’t even be able to remember your score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I guess I just needed someone to slap me back in to sense. At first, I wanted surgery but that's out of the picture so I'm pretty much settling for IM or Peds, do you think I have a chance? of course, if I do well on step 2 and 3 and also do some research.

Thank you, I guess I just needed someone to slap me back in to sense. At first, I wanted surgery but that's out of the picture so I'm pretty much settling for IM or Peds, do you think I have a chance? of course, if I do well on step 2 and 3 and also do some research.
You should seriously be considering psychiatry and family medicine. Unless you have a 40+ point jump in your next step or a legit connection, it's going to be very improbable to get into IM/peds with that step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should seriously be considering psychiatry and family medicine. Unless you have a 40+ point jump in your next step or a legit connection, it's going to be very improbable to get into IM/peds with that step 1 score.
You're right, I'll try my very best to get those 40+ points and land some good LORs and connections. Thanks! :)

So I just got my step 1 score 198 on my second attempt and I'm going crazy. I studied like if my life depended on it aiming for 234+ and ended up 198. So guys what should I do??? I'm an US Img (carribean) should I quit??
Unfortunately it's going to be very hard to match into IM or peds after a fail on Step 1, a low passing score, and also being a US IMG from the Caribbean. Those are a couple of red flags.

Peds is a smaller community and you have to show some real interest in kids from what I understand. So if you want it, you should start really showing interest now and also if you crush Step 2. Get some strong LOR's from pediatricians when you do your clinical rotations in the US.

IM you might have a chance at the lower tier programs if you crush Step 2 and also get strong LOR's from your clinical rotations in the US. The mean Step 2 for matched US IMG applicants is 234 (Charting Outcomes for IMG's 2016), you're going to have to be much higher than 234 on Step 2 as you have a much lower Step 1. I'd aim for 245 or even 250+. Show them you can really do well and leave no room for doubt. Research helps.

I'd also recommend applying to FM as a backup if you have an interest in FM.

tha
Unfortunately it's going to be very hard to match into IM or peds after a fail on Step 1, a low passing score, and also being a US IMG from the Caribbean. Those are a couple of red flags.

Peds is a smaller community and you have to show some real interest in kids from what I understand. So if you want it, you should start really showing interest now and also if you crush Step 2. Get some strong LOR's from pediatricians when you do your clinical rotations in the US.

IM you might have a chance at the lower tier programs if you crush Step 2 and also get strong LOR's from your clinical rotations in the US. The mean Step 2 for matched US IMG applicants is 234 (Charting Outcomes for IMG's 2016), you're going to have to be much higher than 234 on Step 2 as you have a much lower Step 1. I'd aim for 245 or even 250+. Show them you can really do well and leave no room for doubt. Research helps.

I'd also recommend applying to FM as a backup if you have an interest in FM.[/QUOTE
Thank you!!! awesome advice.

Honestly if you want surgery I think you can make it happen it may take an extra year but network your butt off go to conferences meet people and you’ll make it happen.

But make sure you want surgery really - that residency is brutal. Lol

Stay encouraged future doctor!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile