help gauging step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my step 1 score: 247! I'm pleased to have exceeded 240, but my goal was a little arbitrary (mostly based on my practice scores.) I know it's "good," but is it "we won't throw your application in the trash" good, or "Mayo/Hopkins" good?

To break it down, based on my step 1 score alone, I'm interested in knowing….
1) Competitiveness at a top-tier general surgery program
2) Competitiveness in a notoriously selective surgical subspeciality, such as urology or neurosurgery, at a decent program
3) Competitiveness in such a selective specialty, also at a top-tier program

Thanks all, and cheers to those getting scores today.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations.

In terms of general surgery, it is a good enough score to keep you in the running at any program in the country, assuming the rest of your application is up to snuff. It would be slightly below our average for our applicants, but not to a significantly detrimental degree.

And just a howty-towty nitpick, but Mayo and hopkins are significantly different in terms of competitiveness.

I'll let others speak to the subspecialties, but the bottom line is with a 247 the doors are wide open. Buckle down and nail third year and you will have great options.

It would be slightly below our average for our applicants, but not to a significantly detrimental degree.

Can you elaborate on that? Did you mean that it is below average for a specific program? I must be missing something...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the clarification. Wow, surprised that some programs have such high average.

You should be competative for most ENT programs assuming, as mentioned above, that you don't have a felonious history, that you don't interrupt every other sentence to snort and swallow, that your apartment is above ground and you have more furniture than a dirty matress, a garden hose, and a single light bulb hanging from a wire, and assuming that you have never strangled a kitten just to "see what happens."

Though, if the last part is true you may still qualify for General Surgery.

Reactions: 5 users