Horrible COMLEX score, would love to go surgical...any help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

#embarassed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll make this quick and hope some of you can help shed some light on this for me.

I scored horribly on COMLEX. 403. Yep, just barely passed. I was sick, but was still very surprised and heartbroken to see that number.

I have been on course to go for a surgical residency. Was wanting ortho to be in the mix, but am open to gen surgery and then fellowship, etc.

I know I have a bad score, but is it at all possible to get in somewhere? AOA residencies are fine by me. I have outstanding 3rd year grades and letters. I interview well and get along well with people. I have a lot of extra curriculars on my CV (Club president of several, GHHS, etc) BUT I have a Horrible board score.

Am I going to pushed into primary care? I dont want that at all. Any thoughts? I'd even take a direct message, or anything. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take Usmle? If not, take it and hit a 230+ and you could be in the running for an acgme spot.

I'll make this quick and hope some of you can help shed some light on this for me.

I scored horribly on COMLEX. 403. Yep, just barely passed. I was sick, but was still very surprised and heartbroken to see that number.

I have been on course to go for a surgical residency. Was wanting ortho to be in the mix, but am open to gen surgery and then fellowship, etc.

I know I have a bad score, but is it at all possible to get in somewhere? AOA residencies are fine by me. I have outstanding 3rd year grades and letters. I interview well and get along well with people. I have a lot of extra curriculars on my CV (Club president of several, GHHS, etc) BUT I have a Horrible board score.

Am I going to pushed into primary care? I dont want that at all. Any thoughts? I'd even take a direct message, or anything. Thanks

Did you take Usmle? If not, take it and hit a 230+ and you could be in the running for an acgme spot.
you know, I didnt. I've heard it was a more predictable test to take and I am kicking myself for not taking it.

This seems like good advice though, so thanks for mentioning it. Ill have to look into getting a month off possibly to crunch in some study and take a practice tests along the way to make sure Im in the right zone.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear my man.

You say you have great LOR... as a third year at this point you already have all your letters done? How many are from surgeons? How many from non-surgeons?

Do an audition rotation and nail level 2. i wouldnt mess with USMLE...as a DO its hard to get into surgical ACGME anyway. why tax yourself. But it is an option. If youre not interested in primary care then just go for surgery. but be realistic. apply broad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear my man.

You say you have great LOR... as a third year at this point you already have all your letters done? How many are from surgeons? How many from non-surgeons?

Do an audition rotation and nail level 2. i wouldnt mess with USMLE...as a DO its hard to get into surgical ACGME anyway. why tax yourself. But it is an option. If youre not interested in primary care then just go for surgery. but be realistic. apply broad.

I do already have 5 LORs, 4 from surgeons and 1 OB/GYN. And I also interview well--Im getting great grades during clerkship and have even had some patients and preceptors write to my school about my care/clinical skills.

Thats all motivating and flattering, but what Im worried about is that there will be NO program that will even get passed looking at my board score. Will any program even give a 403 a chance??

Hard to get programs to look at you with that COMLEX score tbh. I would rather work my ass off and try the USMLE, than not do it, not match, and wonder "what if..." next year.

Thats all motivating and flattering, but what Im worried about is that there will be NO program that will even get passed looking at my board score. Will any program even give a 403 a chance??

Its all about board scores at this point. Letters and interviewing are nice but if you don't get the interviews it doesn't matter. You would probably get auto interviews at programs you rotate at, but a 403 is only 3 above passing and most programs may not see past it. I know a lot of programs in or around Ohio have 500 cutoffs.

If you are set on surgery you need USMLE step 1 and step 2, and you would get a smattering of interviews if you apply broadly since a lot of ACGME pd's don't care about comlex.

Lastly, the bigger issue is why did you barely pass? Need to rectify that for step 2 in order to improve. If you went from 400 to 600 you would help yourself a lot, but even a lot of step 2 is based on a solid foundation from step 1.

Thanks for the last two responses

I agree--not a great to be in right now, and I'm worried about not getting an interview.

There were a few reasons for my bad score, which are either passed or can be helped.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts here