Help for Wife!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravialdo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Newbie here posting on behalf of my wife.
She is a graduate of a DO EM residency last year and getting ready to take the Osteopathic Writtens in Feb 2006. We recently had a baby (ok, she did) and studying while taking care of a newborn is difficult to say the least.
Anyways, she is freaking out about her upcoming exam. I'm sure she's gonna be fine: she has a great academic track record and is considered a strong member of her practice (even though she's fresh out of training).
Nevertheless, are there any helpful pointers for this exam? And question banks? Recalls? Any material that is consistently test on?

Thanks. As a radiologist, I appreciate what she (and you guys) do.

Members don't see this ad.

Ravialdo said:
Newbie here posting on behalf of my wife.
She is a graduate of a DO EM residency last year and getting ready to take the Osteopathic Orals in Feb 2006. We recently had a baby (ok, she did) and studying while taking care of a newborn is difficult to say the least.
Anyways, she is freaking out about her upcoming exam. I'm sure she's gonna be fine: she has a great academic track record and is considered a strong member of her practice (even though she's fresh out of training).
Nevertheless, are there any helpful pointers for this exam? And question banks? Recalls? Any material that is consistently test on?

Thanks. As a radiologist, I appreciate what she (and you guys) do.
There are lots of oral board review courses that one could take. The written is probably a piece of cake, but if there's one thing that people have problems with, its the oral boards. That's why so many residencies now have oral board prep stuff during the curriculum. I obviously haven't taken any courses, since I still have 6 months to go...

Q

QuinnNSU said:
There are lots of oral board review courses that one could take. The written is probably a piece of cake, but if there's one thing that people have problems with, its the oral boards. That's why so many residencies now have oral board prep stuff during the curriculum. I obviously haven't taken any courses, since I still have 6 months to go...

Q

Actually, you are correct. She is taking the WRITTENS, and not the ORALS. My bad.
So any advice for WRITTEN Osteo EM Boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ravialdo said:
Actually, you are correct. She is taking the WRITTENS, and not the ORALS. My bad.
She could take a board review course, but she shouldnt' have a big problem with teh written. If anything, she could get "Carol Rivers" EM board review. Do a google search for carol rivers and EM review and it should pop up...

Q

Ravialdo said:

I have been an allopathic PD for years and an oral board examiner. I know how it went for about 120 grads. There may be some differences in the Osteo boards, but I understand that they are intentionally similar. My advice:

1. Complete written review materials. Many of my residents like the Carol Rivers stuff. I have the impression that it is somewhat "basic" (that's not necessarily a negative). I have supplied all of my residents with the Med-Challenger for EM materials (4000 questions and 1500 images). This is definitiely not basic. I required some of my low performing residents (on the annual inservice) to complete it before their next inservice. All have improved their score.
2. Attend a written review course. I have the impression that the "national course" and the Ohio ACEP course are very good. There are several others that look good.

This advice works. Our class that just graduated scored at the national median on their EM1 inservice. They scored 8th in the nation on their EM3 exam. All ended up above the median with 75% above the 82nd percentile. One went up from the 9th to the 86th.

BKN said:
I have been an allopathic PD for years and an oral board examiner. I know how it went for about 120 grads. There may be some differences in the Osteo boards, but I understand that they are intentionally similar. My advice:

1. Complete written review materials. Many of my residents like the Carol Rivers stuff. I have the impression that it is somewhat "basic" (that's not necessarily a negative). I have supplied all of my residents with the Med-Challenger for EM materials (4000 questions and 1500 images). This is definitiely not basic. I required some of my low performing residents (on the annual inservice) to complete it before their next inservice. All have improved their score.
2. Attend a written review course. I have the impression that the "national course" and the Ohio ACEP course are very good. There are several others that look good.

This advice works. Our class that just graduated scored at the national median on their EM1 inservice. They scored 8th in the nation on their EM3 exam. All ended up above the median with 75% above the 82nd percentile. One went up from the 9th to the 86th.

Pardon my ignorance, I will be an MS-I next fall. I understand that the first two board exams (USMLE/COMLEX) are written and with a practical clinical portion for the COMLEX II, but where does the oral come in? Does the third board exam require written and oral exams or is the oral for a state licensing exam? (also confused b/c it is post-residency but sounds like comlex III she's taking)
Thanks for your time.

The discussion here pertains to EM board certification exams taken AFTER residency. They include a written and oral portion taken 6months to a year apart contingent on passing the written boards. You are referring to USMLE taken during med school and residency. USMLE does not have an oral board component.

anonymousEM said:
The discussion here pertains to EM board certification exams taken AFTER residency. They include a written and oral portion taken 6months to a year apart contingent on passing the written boards. You are referring to USMLE taken during med school and residency. USMLE does not have an oral board component.
Gotcha. I had never heard of the board cert. exams refered to as osteopathic writtens. Thanks for clearing that up!