Help For a pre-MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Applied

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the summer before I start medical school and was wondering how to approach reaching my goals. I am very interested in dermatology and have no idea how to approach it. I did volunteer in a dermatology clinic which sparked my interest and want to start off on the right foot. Any feedback for a med student from a mediocre medical school (Drexel) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Members don't see this ad.

#1 - realize that minds change in med school and be open to everything. That said, a rough timeline of med school assumming derm is the goal:

MS1: relax about residency and just focus on getting the best grades you can - you'll need them.

MS2: focus on preparing for Step 1: you are shooting for 230+. Study for the boards sections pertaining to your classes while you study for exams. Also keep getting good grades. Join or start dermatology interest group at your school (maybe do this is year 1, but don't get too crazy). Did I mention the boards?

MS3: If your grades are kick-azz and your board scores are good (for derm: >230), push forward. If you think you've already got a few "dings" on your record, or if you're top-notch and just want to "make sure" you're going to get into derm, consider applying for a fifth-year option and take a year to do derm research in between MS3 and MS4. Set up away rotations to get derm letters of recommendation. Focus on HONORS in your clinicals no matter what the specialty.

MS4 (or 5 if you do research): Do your away rotations, do well, impress, get letters. Apply to residency, hopefully get in. If not, regroup and try again.

You have a unique opportunity to excel knowing what you want to do before med school. Plan it right and you will achieve it.

Thanks for all your help! So far it looks like I am going to Drexel (unless a waitlist or 2 pan out). Are there any very nice Derm programs around there where I can do a bit of volunteer work with people that are known in the Derm Field? I know connections are very important. And lets say I do acheive everything you have said, would it be possible to enter a top Derm program, maybe even a program that can help me go into academia (I enjoy teaching)?

Thanks again in advance for your responses.

You will be in Philly, so will have access to great derm at both UPenn and Jefferson. Both are solid top tier academic programs. Any experience there would go a long way in your application process. That being said, if you are a top-notch performer, you should have a shot at a top derm program, but realize that almost every other applicant is top-notch too. Therefore, you need to be VERY flexible on where you might be willing to go for derm.

But don't get too stressed out about this now. Focus on doing well when you get to Drexel. Good luck!