post-MS1 research but not specifically derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to work with a pretty well-known thoracic surgeon over the summer doing some research, potentially with publication opps. Question is simple - I know research/pubs are HUGE in derm - like 90% of applicants have them - does it matter if some/all of which are not specifically derm-related? (this research is esophageal cancer).

The problem is the people in derm I've spoken to at my institution weren't super receptive to an MS1 researching w/ them - I do plan to do some shadowing though of a dermatologist as well over the summer. Thoughts? :) Again, the interest of mine in derm is sooo premature, but doesn't some solid research experience help one match, whatever the field ends up being?

Thanks so much, really!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the opportunity to work with a pretty well-known thoracic surgeon over the summer doing some research, potentially with publication opps. Question is simple - I know research/pubs are HUGE in derm - like 90% of applicants have them - does it matter if some/all of which are not specifically derm-related? (this research is esophageal cancer).

The problem is the people in derm I've spoken to at my institution weren't super receptive to an MS1 researching w/ them - I do plan to do some shadowing though of a dermatologist as well over the summer. Thoughts? :) Again, the interest of mine in derm is sooo premature, but doesn't some solid research experience help one match, whatever the field ends up being?

Thanks so much, really!

Just my 2 cents, from a current applicant. I wish I had done derm research earlier in med school, but during the summer between year 1 and 2 I did path research. It helped a little in my application, but I think working with my home derm department and getting to know them early would have been a greater benefit.

Only thing is if the esophageal cancer guy can get you published then by all means go for it. Maybe you can work in the esophageal cancer skin connection (Bazex syndrome/acrokeratosis paraneoplastica) into your research, then you'd kill 2 birds with one stone, publication with known CT surgeon and some derm connection.

oh wow thanks! if i could work in a derm connection, that would be great, right?

out of curiosity, when did you do derm research?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow thanks! if i could work in a derm connection, that would be great, right?

out of curiosity, when did you do derm research?
I did mine the summer between year 3 n 4 on a 2 month research elective. Submitted 2 papers and took about 6 months for one to get accepted. But by that time interview season was already over. I think if it got published before Nov 1, the date the deans letter comes out and most programs download the entire app, it would of helped me get more interviews. Publishing is a beast and I've known classmates that have taken up to a year to get accepted after submission. That's why I'd recommend trying to publish asap, 3rd year is just to hectic to get anything meaningful done, unless your school allows you to do a research elective during that time.

research is important, but I would say as important, if not more so, is who writes your letters. Derm is a small field. You will get more interviews if your letters are from either well known dermatologists or at least by dermatologists known at that particular program (adding some additional regional bias). The letters also count more the better someone knows you.

How else are you going to get good derm letters? From a rotation? That is acceptable but you will have less time to get to know individual faculty getting them that way, and so the letters will probably be weaker. Doing research is not just about the research but also a chance to get good letters. They will count more if they are from a dermatologist. For that reason, I would do the derm research. But that's just my opinion.

research is important, but I would say as important, if not more so, is who writes your letters. Derm is a small field. You will get more interviews if your letters are from either well known dermatologists or at least by dermatologists known at that particular program (adding some additional regional bias). The letters also count more the better someone knows you.

How else are you going to get good derm letters? From a rotation? That is acceptable but you will have less time to get to know individual faculty getting them that way, and so the letters will probably be weaker. Doing research is not just about the research but also a chance to get good letters. They will count more if they are from a dermatologist. For that reason, I would do the derm research. But that's just my opinion.

I've been told that letters are usually better if they come from a clinician as opposed to an academic dermatologist.

well the good news is a dermatologist i know, as she was my ICM preceptor this year has offered me the opp to help her w/ research over the summer as well - so we'll see how it goes, how i juggle both etc :) thx guys for all the help!!!

ps does anyone know of the relative competitiveness of the derm program at mayo scottsdale - god i know that is random and irrelevant to me as an MS1 but just curious :)

how many LORs do you have when you apply res? who are they typically from - and is 1 clinical dermatologist enough? i know if i stay in touch with her she'd be great - also at my home program.

how does doing derm electives work? like how many do people typically do? and when? early 4th yr? i think 3rd yr here is all the req'd rotations. could i do a couple derm rotations early 4th then? like one at home program, one away rotation? gosh soo many dumb questions i know, thx everyone :)

Depends...where do you go to school?

Some schools allow for a flexible 3rd year schedule. In which case, you probably want to try a derm elective in the middle of the year so that you have some experience but so that you still have time to change your mind should you feel derm isn't the field for you.

Some schools will force you to wait until the 4th year. In which case, you have to sort of make your schedule before you've really experienced anything in derm (you can always shadow earlier on in med school). I would also recommend doing this early so that you can get some experience and LORs in before application time.

Depends...where do you go to school?

Some schools allow for a flexible 3rd year schedule. In which case, you probably want to try a derm elective in the middle of the year so that you have some experience but so that you still have time to change your mind should you feel derm isn't the field for you.

Some schools will force you to wait until the 4th year. In which case, you have to sort of make your schedule before you've really experienced anything in derm (you can always show earlier on in med school). I would also recommend doing this early so that you can get some experience and LORs in before application time.

thanks alot for the advice! knowing me next summer will bring me a fine 220 on step 1 and this will have all been irrelevant ;) thanks again though!

I've been told that letters are usually better if they come from a clinician as opposed to an academic dermatologist.

well, I think it depends who you talk to what they say on that topic. As I said, it was just my opinion. However, most academic derms are also clinicians; and pure clinicians will rarely get to know you as well. Letters are always stronger the stronger someone knows you. In addition, the people selecting you for interview, and interviewing you, are generally academic dermatologists. It was my impression from the interview trail, given the comments I got, that like most groups, academic dermatologists put more stock in the words of people they know - and thus they tend to like letters from other academic dermatologists. It no doubt depends partly on exactly what kind of program you are looking to join.

How about a clinician academic dermatologist.:D

But yeah I agree with what the boy wonder said earlier "Doing research is not just about the research but also a chance to get good letters." The person I did research with wrote a strong letter for me because I spent 2 months 4 days a week working with him one on one. On rotations you'll see a different attending for every day of the week who hardly knows you let alone can write a strong letter for you, add to that other rotaters getting in on face time.

TBW since you are on here I'm assuming congratulations are in order. :thumbup:
Haven't seen you post since first year or pre-allo days. Saw your little thread to lola on the dermboard a few months back.;)

How about a clinician academic dermatologist.

But yeah I agree with what the boy wonder said earlier "Doing research is not just about the research but also a chance to get good letters." The person I did research with wrote a strong letter for me because I spent 2 months 4 days a week working with him one on one. On rotations you'll see a different attending for every day of the week who hardly knows you let alone can write a strong letter for you, add to that other rotaters getting in on face time.

Exactly what I was trying and failing ( :laugh: ) to say, but said much more succinctly.

Haven't seen you post since first year or pre-allo days. Saw your little thread to lola on the dermboard a few months back.;)

I still read here, but it's true, I don't often post - and if you saw the one post lola and I exchanged on the other boards I think you've seen almost my entire contribution over there!

TBW since you are on here I'm assuming congratulations are in order. :thumbup:

lol, yes, thanks, I also recognized your screenname over there - congrats to you too :clap: