Help a girl out: US for college to UK for med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bristol and Brighton (BSMS) are very different medical schools you know, it's unlikely you would like both.

Deadline is October 15th, you apply through UCAS to a max of 4 schools.

US high school is not equivalent to UK high school so although a UK student could get in straight from school a US student couldn't. Unless you finish your degree in the US you would only be eligible for the standard 5yr courses and you would have to start from year 1. Brighton don't have a graduate 4year course anyway. I don't think all graduate courses accept international students yet anyway, I'm pretty sure all 5 year courses do.

You wouldn't be eligible for student loans. For those you need to be in the UK for 2 years for non-educational reasons before applying/starting (not sure which). Our loans are no where near enough to live on though anyway.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks for being so informative. So I would not be eligible for student loans? Damn. Well that basically means I can't attend medical school over there then. Are there no exceptions to this... I mean, how to other international students pay for school over there? Are they all just really wealthy?

I spoke with Brighton last night (like 1 am my time!) and they said I'd have to take a UKCAT, but in general made it seem like it's no big deal that I attend school in the US now and want to go to med school over there. They mentioned scholarships, but not loans. So perhaps I need to reclarify that -- I'm guessing they are different. They also said I'd need a 3.5 to be competitive. Does this all seem like accurate information? I'm just trying to get an idea before I come over b/c I am giving up my home here in the US, my car, and my job at the hospital to come abroad there. And it sort of doesn't seem worth it for just 4 months of school and then having to come back w/ no shot of being able to pay for med school over there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The majority of med schools here require the UKCAT, I was the last intake not to take it so don't know much about it other than that it's more a test of how you think rather than what facts you have memorised.

Scholarships in the UK are very rare, I'm the only person I know with one and mine isn't from my med school. In the US it seems everyone just gets them for doing nothing, it's not like that here. Lots of unis give bursaries but they are different and I'm not sure if international students are eligible.

I'm pretty sure that yep either all international students are loaded or they get loans from their home country.

Generally you need grades that would get you in at home. Although most schools here ask for similar grades from Uk students, the requirements for internationals vary between schools from what I have seen.

You should still qualify for Stafford and Plus loans in the UK