Hello newbie interested in becoming a deaf audiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshoya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the board. I am hard of hearing and a graduate of Gallaudet. I am looking to go back to school for audiology. I have some questions

1. My gpa from Gallaudet is 2.5. Do I have to take the prerequisite classes before or after I have been admitted?

2. I plan on working while in school. Could I possibly take two classes per term?

3. Gallaudet is my first choice but I am willing to move.

4. Any advice for being a deaf audiologist? I would like to work for the government or open my own practice when I graduate.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion would be to apply for a Ph.D. And not a clinical degree since it would be a waste of time if you are have a profound loss in both ears. Research degrees would allow you to work. In a clinical degree, you would not be able to do any testing. Also, a 2.5 is not considered a competitive GPA for audiology. You sound really sweet, but I don't want you to waste your time and money applying..

I am new to the board. I am hard of hearing and a graduate of Gallaudet. I am looking to go back to school for audiology. I have some questions

1. My gpa from Gallaudet is 2.5. Do I have to take the prerequisite classes before or after I have been admitted?

2. I plan on working while in school. Could I possibly take two classes per term?

3. Gallaudet is my first choice but I am willing to move.

4. Any advice for being a deaf audiologist? I would like to work for the government or open my own practice when I graduate.

How hard of hearing? One has to be able to still perform a lot of the functions of an audiologist and you can have some hearing loss and function, but if you are severe to profound then you'll have a very tough time doing the job.

Your GPA is very low for any program. It is difficult to work while in an AuD program as you usually have 15-20 credit hours of classes a week plus clinical duties plus many programs have you doing research or some type of graduate assistance program for a small stipend.

Members don't see this ad :)
My left is is the normal range but my right is profound.
Thanks for your feedback. I will work on getting a great GRE score and look at stipends. The other option was maybe becoming a speech and language pathologist.

I would suggest doing some shadowing if you are between speech language pathologist and audiologist. Very different careers.