Hello everyone! Have some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopinforopt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My math skills are not very good. I think the highest score on math I got on the SATS was 490. :(

Should I still pursue Optometry?

I didn't have a very good SAT score overall. I think it was 1670.

But I either want to change my major to psychology or optometry.

I like both careers very much, but both require so much math.

Math is usually my downfall. I could barely keep up in Chemistry because of the mathematical components.

Is it possible to be excellent at math even if you're at a poor state?

I am 19. I wanted to pursue art in my 12th grade year of high school, so I just decided not to improve my math skills as much.

Now that I realize I don't have the drive to be an artist anymore, I really want to do something that will actually help people. People like me with poor vision or people like my mom who are suffering with Bipolar disorder.

Thanks for reading. I live in California and I am currently attending Cal State University Long Beach.

Should I major in Bio, also? Instead of Chemistry? If I choose Optometry.

And I must admit that I have poor study habits.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, in order to enter optometry school you must either complete 90 hrs of undergrad courses including pre-optometry course work or finish your bachelor's. You can major in any discipline but it's helpful to major in Bio/chem since you have to complete a number of science class before you can go to opt. school, but to answer your question there's really no better major, you should pick either Bio or chem depending on your interest. If you like Psychology you can do that too but you must take classes out side of your major i.e. chem, physics, bio etc.. I think it's best if you see a counselor at CSULB in regards to your future goals. GOOD LUCK.

I am horrible at math, mostly bad at quick arithmatic, but I've gotten better because of optometry school. Quick arithmatic is what helps the most here in optometry school because of quick Rx calculations e.g. equivalent sphere, finding the amount of cyl in glasses, etc. I'll also admit that I did horribly on the QR section of the OAT - 270!!! But overall, math hasn't been that much of a crutch for me here at optometry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting my degree in biochemistry next spring. It did require a good amount of math... if you stink at it, definitely major in biology. For me, I'm way better at math and chemistry courses than bio courses, but optometry school requires some bio courses so it was a no-brainer to major in biochemistry. Biochemistry is more chemistry and math but includes the bio courses so it was perfect for me. Biochem 1 and 2 were my favorite classes because it was from a chemistry perspective.

should i eat an apple for lunch tomorrow? perhaps two? maybe i'll have bananas and a small yogurt instead.

your post is confusing, and to put it modestly, poorly written.

i don't think you should pursue optometry, nor psychology for that matter. it dosen't seem like you've established the maturity to maintain any decisions that you may make.
since you said you're a student at CSULB, you should already know that optometry is not a major. even though i won't be starting opt school until august, im pretty sure that basic math (aka SAT-type questions) is an important aspect of being able to successfully complete optometry school. you will also need to be proficient at math in order to go through the physics series. some people don't do well in CALCULUS but have a good command of geometry, algebra, trig, and QR, so they make it through optometry school just fine. being bad at math is just one of the many potential problems that you may face in the near future. furthermooooore, im sorry about your mom's condition, but getting a BA/BS degree in psychology will NOT allow you to treat anyone (i have a psych/bio degree). to give you an example, with a ba/bs in psych, you're qualified to work with kids with autism by playing with them and recording their behaviors. you'd need at least a masters in order to conduct counseling sessions or a Psych. D/Ph.D to work directly with patients with disorders.

no

my case is the opposite of yours, im skilled in math but i have poor critical reading skills. However its just a matter of how badly you want it. Unlike reading, Mathematics is one subject that all you need to do is sit down and you will understand. At this or at least at the OAT level, there is only so much you are required to know. I'm sure they wont ask you questions on how to sample integration by parts...but they sure will ask you algebraic, trigonometric and word problems to measure your ability. This can all be archived by dedicating your self to getting a book and focusing on areas you have problems with. SAT for now could be a good way to do this...take a practice test (doesn't matter if ur never taking one again) and see the type of problems you get wrong. From there, learn the rules on those topics and retake..thats the only way you will get it.