Hello BGU 2010 Class.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I too will be starting BGU at the end of July. I am right now finishing up my senior year of undergrad abroad, which basically is a good one year break between the stress of a normal American university and the upcomiing pressure of med school.
Since I am already abroad, I will not be taking the group flight. So, for those of you who are also planing to arrive individually, we should see into somehow coordinating sharing a taxi or even going on the train together. So PM me when travel plans are more definite. And I definetly look forward to meeting all of you in a few months.

Hertz or Avis are fine- and both have drop off points in Beer Sheva. I would advise reserving the car online before you go. Especially with Avis, you can get much cheaper prices on the internet than in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
bubbles! said:
Hertz or Avis are fine- and both have drop off points in Beer Sheva. I would advise reserving the car online before you go. Especially with Avis, you can get much cheaper prices on the internet than in person.

Yep. Just be prepared in your mind to arrive at the Avis or Hertz counter and be told they don't have the car that cost the internet price. Or there's an additional "non-tourist" tax of 200NIS. Or any of a looong list of potential issues that will boil down to you paying more than you expected.

If price is the MAJOR issue, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything cheaper than a Sherut (we pronounced it 'sher-ooot'; it's a taxi bus that carries several passengers). They wait for awhile to fill up with passengers, but there's sheruts to BS leaving from BG airport pretty much constantly. Costwise, I'd only rent a car if you're planning on traveling for a few days. It becomes cheaper if you spread it out over a few days.

Actually, I forgot about the train. It runs all the time, is super-cheap and will take you from underneath the airport to within sight of BGU (takes one train switch, which someone can help you with). Unless you have TONS of stuff, the train is great.

Hey, I was wondering what people have to say about laptops at MSIH. I am deciding on whether or not to buy a tablet. The price is a bit more expensive but it seems convenient for lectures etc. Would it be useful?

Any general computer/what to bring advice would be great.

Thanks.

I took notes in lecture on Pocket Word, using my Pocket PC set up with a bluetooth keyboard. I kept a laptop in my apartment. Worked like a charm.

Just to add on to the computer question. Is it better to buy a laptop in the US or in Israel?

I just got the First Year booklist in the mail. Is it cheaper to buy books in Israel or in the US on Amazon or something?

Never EVER buy computer stuff in Israel. It's always more expensive.

If you can afford it, you'll definitely want a computer. If you don't have one, you're relegated to on-campus computers for email (and other intellectual endeavors like SDN). There are computer labs on the main BGU campus that are always open, but it'll take you some time to find them. The medical library computers are often unavailable. Email is your lifeline to the States.

Additionally, there's quite a few power point projects you'll be required to do over the years. And reports to print out and all that. The stress level of the people in my class who were trying to use the school's computers for projects was significantly higher than than those who had their own. For example, the Word and PPT programs are Hebrew-based. You can switch them back to English, but they often "forget" and suddenly, the cursor is moving the wrong direction across the screen. NOT a cool experience when you have 20 minutes until a class-wide presentation!

there is so much to do in Israel, its quite possibly the most ridiculous thing ever, In one month I went both snowboarding in the north and scuba diving in the south, i mean its fricken crazy

i mean we play sports on the weekend, and the whole bars thing, and the whole competition to see who has the best alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme, its fun, but its so easy to travel here, trains, shuttles (sheiruts)

the only thing is you gotta leave before sundown on friday because its shabbat, and dont expect to come back until saturday after sundown, but once you get used to it, youll be heading to tel aviv for the beaches and clubs, the golan heights for camping, breathtaking scenery, and amazing water hikes, or jerusalem to cut yourself out a nice ole piece of ancient history pie

by the way I live in a huge penthouse apt. for 225 bucks o' month

and I cant wait to meet you guys too, Im really excited for your class to get here

izzy

sharkchaser47 said:
Besides studying, what do people do on the weekends in Be'er Sheva? Do a lot of the students travel?

For current students or well-informed future ones:

- Is it easy and convenient to have a cell phone? How does it work to receive and make international calls?

- What do people suggest in terms of living? near the hospital? Apartment vs. house? roommates or alone?

That's it for now. Thanks again.

secretwave101 said:
'05 graduate here - happy to answer questions about "life after BGU" if you have them.

"Shiloah insurance was, I thought, not a good deal. The only thing you can be sure they'll cover is the pizza party they throw for you when you first sign up (if they're buying pizza, it's a sure sign you paid too much). Paying out of pocket for health care in Israel isn't like paying out of pocket in the US. I had 2 kids while at BGU, and I paid for them with my Visa card. Even got the classic cash register receipt that said "have a nice day" on it...and the whole birth thing cost around $1400. That's without coverage. BGU will accept anything for proof of health insurance. So I used this online thing (try www.internationalstudentinsurance.com, but there's others) with a HUGE deductible and printed the "insurance card" from the confirmation email they sent me on my own printer. BGU was cool with it, and I probably saved quite a bit of money. Somewhere in the millions of dollars, I believe."

So, let me please understand this. You paid out of pocket for health care in Israel? Or you used the international health insurance, not Shiloah, and just had a cheaper plan that didn't cover as much but paid less for coverage and paid out of pocket for what wasn't covered. And BGU is okay with this? And what about coverage in the US, during visits? (I'm actually not too worried about this, but just wondering what people are doing for it, if not using Shiloah).

Oh, and books, I just received first year's booklist. I'm assuming I should buy all of them there right? And. I didn't see gross anatomy on the curriculum which I only glanced at three days ago. Do we take that the second year?

And thanks for answering so many of our queries.

chg971 said:
Oh, and books, I just received first year's booklist. I'm assuming I should buy all of them there right? And. I didn't see gross anatomy on the curriculum which I only glanced at three days ago. Do we take that the second year?

You can actually find the entire curriculum on the BGU MSIH website. It shows you what we take, when. We don't do anatomy until the second year.

Paid out of pocket for health care in Israel. Was not covered in the U.S. (until I actually did rotations there, when I paid for a U.S. plan).

I'm generally healthy and rarely need health care of any kind, and have never needed anything major. So it was a viable risk for me. The coverage I DID have would ostensibly have covered anything major. But I really didn't care...and frankly didn't believe them. I bought it online, never talked to a single person and printed out my new insurance card on my home printer. If I had real health concerns, I wouldn't have done it. In my case, I just wanted some version of evidence that I had "insurance" to make BGU happy. They accepted my "card", so I went with it.

As for books - with the exception of 2 text books (Lenninger Biochem, Robbins Path), I regretted every other book I bought off the book list. I bought everything on the list w/o question - all were brand new and thus as expensive as you can buy them - and I used them very rarely. Once on the ground in Israel, I found that 1.) almost everyone ends up buying an entire second set of books on the same topics - but these are review/condensed books that are much more high-yield and useful, and 2.) all the text books are for sale used in the student book store from the previous year if you find that you really do want the actual text book. You can also get any of the books in the medical library.

So, I'd recommend waiting on buying books until you get a sense for what ones you'll actually want. That being said, I probably wouldn't have waited as an incoming freshman. I was waay too antsy. But most people used their 1 and 2nd year books to prop up corners of beds and that sort of thing.

Anatomy is integrated with the body systems of second year. This is one of the bigger curricular differences between BGU and most U.S. med schools. It's a cool way to do it, but it will preclude you from transferring out after 1st year to a U.S. school bec. you won't have anatomy to start their 2nd year. If they're willing to accept you, you'll need to do your first year over. Just something to keep in mind if you're wavering about BGU or the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All, I have been accepted and plan to go to Beer Sheva in July. I really appreciate the opportunity to get to know you a little bit through this forum and I am so excited about starting chool in the summer! I have decided not to take the group flight and wanted to find out if anyone else is travelling alone. I live in NYC and can fly from either Newark, LaGuardia or JFK. I am planning to buy my ticket in the next few days.
Ivona

Hi current students,

Does anyone know whether or not Ben Gurion provides software (specifically Microsoft Office small business 2003) at a discounted price for students??

Thanks,

ezra

PMNsOrBust said:
Hi current students,

Does anyone know whether or not Ben Gurion provides software (specifically Microsoft Office small business 2003) at a discounted price for students??

Thanks,

ezra

Get it in the US. I am not sure if I have ever even seen software for sale here. I am sure you could find it in an office store. But, it would be easier to bring it. In case any of you missed any of the previous posts, get ALL of your electronic items in your home countries. They are terribly expensive here...

Ivn2006 said:
Hello All, I have been accepted and plan to go to Beer Sheva in July. I really appreciate the opportunity to get to know you a little bit through this forum and I am so excited about starting chool in the summer! I have decided not to take the group flight and wanted to find out if anyone else is travelling alone. I live in NYC and can fly from either Newark, LaGuardia or JFK. I am planning to buy my ticket in the next few days.
Ivona

Hi Ivona - I am also not taking the group flight, and I have found some pretty cheap tickets through Isra-air. I would love to have a companion on the flight and the trip from Tel Aviv to Beer Sheva. You can send me an e-mail direct to [email protected], and we can talk about this some more.
Priscilla

chg971 said:
Hello Class of 2010, I'll be attending BGU this summer as well. I'm in the midst of forms, forms and more forms and was wondering how many students are taking the prearranged flight from Newark. The cost is $1700, and after looking on travelocity at tickets that cost $1000, I'm wondering if flying solo would be more suitable. I know the chartered flight includes a bus trip to BGU, and we're met at the airport by a school representative. It's also an open ended ticket. Any feedback?

1700 dollars is way too much, and be aware that your first year here goes almost a whole year, your return ticket is only good for 364 days so you have to use it within a year, and i would reccommend saving the return ticket for when flying out of israel is the most expensive i.e. summer, What I did and dont regret, is bought the ticket for the group flight here only one-way, then the rest of the money i used to go to europe over our sukkot break, this is a good option if you don't know what you are going to do after your first year summer, some people stay, some go back to the states, others travel, but be forwarned

if you fail a final after your second semester you WILL be staying to make up that exam during the summer, so your return ticket might be worthless,

keep your options open, if you find a cheap flight round trip here, take it

Congrat's to everyone that got in!!! ILL see you guys in late August, we will party ...oh yes...this i guarantee.

IzzyMD09

PMNsOrBust said:
For current students or well-informed future ones:

- Is it easy and convenient to have a cell phone? How does it work to receive and make international calls?

- What do people suggest in terms of living? near the hospital? Apartment vs. house? roommates or alone?

That's it for now. Thanks again.

Lets SEE

-cell phones, easy and everyone has one, organize it with your class there are some group discounts like you can call everyone who signed up with you for free rather than the hefty fee of 1.3 Agarot per minute (its about .2 of 1 cent hahahaha)

-live near the hospital, its hot in the summer, it rains in the winter, sandstorms arent too fun walking from over 10 minutes away, some people like houses, some like apartments, i am an apartment fan, less upkeep its nicer and relatively less expensive (i live in a penthouse so its $$$ i pay 225 a month + utilities comes to about 315 a month, not bad considering when i lived in boston i was paying 700 a month to live in a basement)
Dont worry about housing till you get here, i love my roomates ( i hope they feel the same about me :laugh: ) but some choose to live alone

Does anyone know if we have to buy a round trip ticket? I am trying to find this out from the consulate, but haven't heard from them yet. Alice in the New York office thinks we do, for visa purposes, but I don't understand why that would be required considering that we are going to live in Israel for three years. If anyone has any info on this, I would really appreciate it.

Some advice about living situation folks, keep in mind that what works for one person does not work for everybody else.

Together or apart

Each of my 3 years in Beersheva I have had roommates. I had them by choice because I couldn't imagine being so far from my friends and family and living by myself without people to come home to. I have been blessed enough to have had great roommates throughout, and some people aren't so lucky. Therefore if you're interested in living with roommates don't jump the gun and try to seek out people that don't annoy you, are easy to get along with, but who also give you space.

There are people who love living alone and prefer it. You usually know who you are before you get here. If, however, you think you MIGHT prefer living alone, then my advice is to live alone but try and get a place near your classmates so you can create a sense of community without having to share a place of residence.

Near or far

First year I lived in a beautiful house in the Ramot neighborhood of Beersheva a little North of Campus. While the house was a spacious 4 bedroom with a yard that was incredible for throwing parties, It was a 35 minute walk to school which meant I spent a ridiculous amount of money on cabs, and was very isolated. There were pros and cons, but I eventually decided to move closer to the city.

Second and third year I lived in a 4 year-old apartment building that is a 20 minute walk to the hospital (including elevator time). I chose it because I didn't want to live right next to the hospital...it gave me a sense of never going "home." I also like to go out, travel and eat-out and the building I live in is walking distance to most of Beersheva's good restaurants, malls and most importantly, just a few minutes away from the train and bus stations.

Even the people who live really close still spend 5-10 minutes getting to school so I figured for an extra 10 minutes I have a location that can't be beat. There are some brand new buildings right next to the hospital that have become a very desirable location for MSIH students, so you will all have plenty of options.

Rent

Don't pay more than 600 dollars/month for anything (unless its a 4 bedroom house for which we paid 650 split three ways). Obviously, the nicer the place, the more money you should be willing to pay. Usually paying less for a poorly furnished apartment isn't a good idea either, because you don't know how long youll stay there and big-ticket items like washing machines, couches and beds can get REALLY expensive.

Miscellaneous

My advice is to find an apartment that is as furnished as possible. As I find myself leaving Beersheva at the end of third year, it is an asset that I don't have too much furniture to sell. Things lose their value really quickly and the less junk you accumulate, the better. Even if you can't get an apartment that is completely furnished, try to at least have the landlord provide you the bare minimum of: air conditioning, washing machine, stove/oven.

Also, if you can find an apartment with GAS water heating it will be to your advantage. Solar heating works wonderfully in the summer but when it gets cold and rainy, having to turn on your hot water before taking a shower can get annoying.

In conclusion...when you get here, you will be subletting from fellow students and have a strong desire to move into a place of your own because you get sick of living out of a suitcase in somebody elses home. My advice is TAKE YOUR TIME. Do not rush into finding a new place. Many of your classmates will sort out who's living with who and where within the first few days...don't rush...TAKE YOUR TIME and make sure you pick a place you like and are living with people you will enjoy living with. Your first year here is stressful enough without having to worry about your living situation for the entire year.

Other stuff

A few other words of advice. GET A CELLPHONE. There is more information on this in the orientation booklets that the student council put together for you guys. If you can bring an unlocked GSM phone to Israel with you, it will come in handy. The company that most students use is www.talknsave.net For highspeed internet, try and get DSL instead of cable. DSL is profoundly easier for setting up virtual and wireless networking. The way DSL works is that you pay half your monthly fee to the Israeli phone company (Bezeq) from whom you rent your modem, and half to an ISP.

Laptops - bring a laptop. The internet and a laptop gives you a portal to your life back in North America and many of us because unnaturally attached to our computers. You want one thats reliable and portable. Mac's are ok as long as you have virutal pc, but don't expect too much technical support here.

Printers - you can buy relatively cheap printers here. I brought mine and El Al managed to "misplace it" on the way here. You can also print relatively inexpensively in the libraries and computer rooms.

Other miscellaneous things I wish I'd brought - posters. They really help make an apartment feel homey and comfortable. A swiffer - absolute magic when it comes to the tile floors that you'll find in 99% of homes/apartments here.

Books - don't by anything on the booklist. We have a bookroom with used books that has pretty much everything you need.

Sorry for the length of this post. I've got an exam tomorrow morning and this is my attempt at procrastination. Good luck!

Thanks for the info, j802002! It's very helpful!

I agree with nearly everything that j802002 said. Choosing your roommates carefully is among the most important. If you lived alone prior to moving here, you will in all probability prefer to live alone when you arrive. Adapting to a new environment is difficult enough without having to adjust to difficult roommates. I chose to live alone throughout most of my studies. I currently have a three bedroom place all to myself, a bit of a waste. But, I love my landlord and have dinner with him and his wife regularly, my adoptive family if you will. They have made it worth every penny. (By the way, the place will be available in August Big, cheap, 70's style, furnished, 2 blocks from the Hospital...no hassles from the landlord).

When you first arrive, everone will be happy, friendly, and excited. Everyone will be on their best behavior until they are comfortable with one another. You will not come to know your classmates true personalities for several months. Although nearly everyone here is friendly with each other, most will find groups with common interests. So, don't make living decisions on the spur of the moment.

One thing I brought and do not regret...camping gear. I actually left a suitcase of clothes in favor of my camping equipment. I didn't get out as much as I would have liked, but I did it enough to make it worthwhile. If you are an outdoor person, or even if you just like travelling, a sleeping bag is useful. Of course, you can buy them here for a reasonable price.

Best of luck with you flight guys...see you soon...

a_ditchdoc said:
I agree with nearly everything that j802002 said. Choosing your roommates carefully is among the most important.

Hey guys! I am just ending the first year here at BGU too and will be working closely with ya'll during orientation. Sorry it took me so long to find your forum :)
I just wanted to say that it is hard making such a change coming here but its such an eye opening experience and really life-changing. And I agree that your housing situation and roommates make all the difference. I didn't go with my gut in getting what I truly wanted and had a really tough year due to it. But this year, I moved out and found something more up my alley! I will be helping you guys find your apts so I will remind you of this all summer long :)
I look fwd to meeting you all! And if you have ideas for the summer you may want, let me know so I can get the ball rolling :)

to those of you who are current students at BGU, what is the average age of first year students? are there many "older" students? I am older than the average first year med student. BGU looks fantastic...my first choice, but want to get a feeling for the general atmosphere.

Hello everyone,

I am a member of the class of 2010 and cannot wait to get started in July!

I decided not to take the group flight as I want to fly back to Ohare during the holidays. My flight leaves Ohare on the 19th and arrives in Tel Aviv (via London) at 3:55 p.m. on the 20th. If anyone else is arriving at around the same time and would like to try to meet at the airport, post a reply on this forum.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

I have been told that majority of first-year students are in their mid to late twenties. I am also older than the typical first-year student and also starting school in the summer. See you there.

Ivn2006 said:
I have been told that majority of first-year students are in their mid to late twenties. I am also older than the typical first-year student and also starting school in the summer. See you there.

I am a current first year, about to be second year, and I'd say the avg age is about 26. There are a few people in their 30's and a few right out of college so then it evens out about there.

Also, if anyone is coming in early or at least not on the group flight, I am willing to meet you at the airport to help you get to Beer Sheva and to your sublet apt. Just let me know :) [email protected]
Otherwise, I look fwd to seeing the group flighters when they arrive.

Okay, so I am filling out the insurance form right now and am unsure of the format in which I should write the date. Should it be DDMMYY or MMDDYY? Wow, I really feel incompetent after asking that question, but that´s how it goes I guess.

libelle said:
Okay, so I am filling out the insurance form right now and am unsure of the format in which I should write the date. Should it be DDMMYY or MMDDYY? Wow, I really feel incompetent after asking that question, but that´s how it goes I guess.
If the form doesn't tell you, I would write it as MMDDYYYY just b/c most people will be doing it that way. But don't worry, I assume they know what dates roughly you are taking it out for so they can figure it out :)

When are you guys flying in? I am an MS3 studying for an exam near the end of July...hopefully I will be able to take a brief break to meet you guys. I also have some stuff I will need to part with... :smuggrin:

babycapybara said:
to those of you who are current students at BGU, what is the average age of first year students? are there many "older" students? I am older than the average first year med student. BGU looks fantastic...my first choice, but want to get a feeling for the general atmosphere.

TO answer your question exactly, I am also in the MSI class that is finishing up with fallywally and antiviral my dearest and bestest of friends....anyways

the average entering age of my class was 25.2, and yes most people in my class are 24,25,26,27

but we have some outliers as well, we had a few 21 year olds and a couple of 30+, so theres a lot of diversity and difference when it comes to maturity which will just add to the learning experience. I myself am 25 accroding to my birth certificate, but im sure if my classmates were polled concerning my maturity level I would be well below that of an 8 year old...gosh I love medicine

anyways now almost a year later my class is 26.2 learning and growing....golly isnt it great

see you here

CRAP ALMOST FORGOT ABOUT BOOKS DUN DUN DUN......

THERE IS A BOOK ROOM HERE, but its not always stocked and theres a lot of competition to get the books you need, it is really cheap but again you are taking a risk by waiting until it opens, your first class is Emergency Medicine, and the lucky winner that gets to sublet my room (hope you like pink) gets a free EMS TExtbook thats right I said it ABSOLUTELY FREE (buy me some beer anyways)

BACK TO BOOKS, I brought a few books with me I knew I would use because of research on SDN so I didnt have to get used books that had been written and highlighted on, there are a couple of books that are cheap and small so you can pack them and bring them

1. BRS PAthology
2. Lippincott Biochem
3. Med Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
4. First Aid USMLE STEP1 (although you dont need it, its good to study out of for review)

I think those are the ones I brought and was pretty excited about, but yeah dont trust book lists either no matter who you get them from, the ones I listed are books that everyone used (well everyone I spoke with) now were they helpful for the finals maybe, I used other books as well and I got a lot Amazon.commed out here but that was pricy.

Anyways let me know if you have anymore questions

Izzy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Yeah I look stupid but my class ranking tells me otherwise"
-response to someone about the way I dress....Plaid forever

I was looking at unlocked GSM phones on E-bay. I was wondering if it would be a good (cost-effective) idea to purchase an unlocked GSM phone in the States before arriving in Israel. How much do phones cost in Israel? Thanks for the help!

cdf29 said:
I was looking at unlocked GSM phones on E-bay. I was wondering if it would be a good (cost-effective) idea to purchase an unlocked GSM phone in the States before arriving in Israel. How much do phones cost in Israel? Thanks for the help!

:cool: Geez...., I have no idea, I try to avoid technology like the plague, in fact I only have a computer for SDN and porn, youd have to ask FALLYWALLY that one!

shoot her private message

izzy ;)

Hey everyone,

I am assuming that most people will be arriving on the 20th of July in Israel, but if anyone is planning on arriving early morning on 21st, let me know.

cdf29 said:

The best deal for students who will not have an Israeli bank account is the Talk N' Save Plan. Falyne, if she hasn't already, will provide everyone with information about this company. Basically, they rent SIM cards that go into the phone for about $2.00 a month and then, as part of a special deal for BGU, give you special rates to call the US (or which ever your home country is) along with reasonable rates for calling within Israel to other cell phones and landlines. I was skeptical at first, but I use my phone quite a bit (in addition to calls to the US once or twice a week) and my bill is never more than $30-40 per month - equivalent to what I paid in the States per month.

You can rent a phone from Talk N' Save too, but considering you will be in and out of Israel for 4 years (mostly in), it's more cost effective to buy a phone when you arrive. I bought a very nice compact Samsung cellphone with excellent battery life for about 700 shekels ($155.00). I am quite sure you can find a phone for even cheaper, like Nokia or something. Just head down to the Negev Mall and purchase a phone from one of the many cellphone stores. When your SIM card arrives from Talk N' Save, pop it in and start talking. Talk N' Save sends you e-mail statements monthly and their customer service is quite good if you run into problems.

You can get an Israeli service plan and phone only if you have an Israeli bank account.

Buying an unlocked GSM phone before you come to Israel is cheaper than buying a phone here. I use an unlocked Motorola RAZR and it works fine. Just make sure your phone is truly unlocked.

cdf29 said:

I don't know much about unlocked phones but what most students did in my class is rent a phone from TalkNSave. You can either rent a phone for 10 bucks a month or a SIM card for $2. The great part is if you destroy the phone all you have to do is send them your broken pieces and they send you a new one for free. You do have a $60 security deposit but thats just to cover a lost phone. There is only one choice in phones but it is small and simple so if you destroy it, it seems less dramatic. When your class arrives, I will give you the instructions for getting these (an online order, arrives in the mail 2-3 days later) and probably go with some of you to purchase your personal phones if you should decide not to rent one. Hope this helps :)
(For those who do aliya, you have much more options.)

libelle said:
Hey everyone,

I am assuming that most people will be arriving on the 20th of July in Israel, but if anyone is planning on arriving early morning on 21st, let me know.

Hey libelle,
I'll be arriving the 21st at 9:30 am. Israir Air at Tel Aviv.

My wife and I will be in Tel-Aviv from July 12, so if anyone comes early, we would love to meet up. please email me and let me know if so, you can use [email protected]

alx943 said:
My wife and I will be in Tel-Aviv from July 12, so if anyone comes early, we would love to meet up. please email me and let me know if so, you can use [email protected]

I have spoken to many of you already but please contact me with any questions. I am finishing up the sublet process (making sure you guys are as comfortable as possible) but need feedback. This is the first year a MSIH student is running most of it, so your dis/satisfaction reflects on my job of showing the school that MSIH students can handle this. Once you get here, please send your praises/suggestions/complaints to me and I will do what I can with those comments.

Thank you, and I am so excited to meet all of you!
[email protected]

Will all of you successful BGU applicants tell me when you submitted your application? And any tips for someone who's applying this year?

Thanks!

Orthodoc40 said:
Will all of you successful BGU applicants tell me when you submitted your application? And any tips for someone who's applying this year?

Thanks!

I submitted my application in October and had my interview in November. They can accept people all year long so turn it in when it is best for you. There isn't much to it, they want to know you, so write a great essay and blow them away at the interview, which I am sure you can do both :)

fallywally said:
I submitted my application in October and had my interview in November. They can accept people all year long so turn it in when it is best for you. There isn't much to it, they want to know you, so write a great essay and blow them away at the interview, which I am sure you can do both :)

Thanks! :D

What is the class size at BGU?

leahmaria said:
What is the class size at BGU?

Right now it stands as such: MS4 = 27, MS3 = 24, MS2 = 48, MS1 = ?50?

We've seen a big boost in apps in the last 2 years. They cap acceptance at 50 for now, but hopefully we can change that someday. The more the better.

Medpilot said:

We've seen a big boost in apps in the last 2 years. They cap acceptance at 50 for now, but hopefully we can change that someday. The more the better.

Thanks! I was thinking about BGU today and came up with about a dozen questions...so thats one more down. I've been much more excited about applying to medical school since finding out about this program!

Medpilot said:

MSII Class of 2009 is actually at 44

a_ditchdoc said:
Well...was at 44.... :rolleyes:

How are things over there, ditch? I assume it's like always - news terrible, Beer Sheva just fine. Few years back there was a bombing at Hebrew U that caused the incoming class (yours, actually, I think) to go from something like 45 to 25. We were bummed to see that.

My class showed up just as the intifada was revving up, and "watched" Hebron, Jenin, Gaza, Church of the Nativity Standoff and of course Iraq, but for some reason it didn't thin our numbers. Hope this incoming class shows some pluck, too.