health insurance, etc. at UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any of you current students at UHS tell me who you use for medical insurance while at school? I've grown pretty accustomed to (and spoiled by) my coverage at work and was just curious who the good plans were with. Also, what is the extent of service available on campus? I understand that the services are very limited, but are there services for non emergency office treatable illnesses and infections?

Thanks,

WBDO

Members don't see this ad.

Most students get their health insurance through SOMA (student osteopathic medical association). I don't have specifics on this, since I have insurance elsewhere, but I hear it is reasonable and the only stipulation is that you join SOMA ($65 or thereabouts). For more info you can contact this years SOMA president, Dan Roth. [email protected] and he can give you more info.
The downside to this plan is that it only covers the student (but double check on this, I might be wrong).
If you have a family/spouse I hear Blue Cross is supposed to be cheap.

My final decision went with State Farm/Fortis. I figured since I am free of any chronic health problems, etc., I'd take the gamble and go for a the cheapest premium and high deductible. Knock on wood!!!!:scared: Hopefully I don't have any major problems.

If you have any other questions the State Farm agent is Larry Hawk 816-373-7000. The ladies in the office are really nice.

M.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrSmiles
Most students get their health insurance through SOMA (student osteopathic medical association). I don't have specifics on this, since I have insurance elsewhere, but I hear it is reasonable and the only stipulation is that you join SOMA ($65 or thereabouts). For more info you can contact this years SOMA president, Dan Roth. [email protected] and he can give you more info.
The downside to this plan is that it only covers the student (but double check on this, I might be wrong).
If you have a family/spouse I hear Blue Cross is supposed to be cheap.

I checked out the SOMA plans and they seem pretty good. So I thought I'd report back to anyone else who is interested. You can cover your spouse and children through the plan. There are 4 levels and the only difference that I could detect were the lifetime/yearly maximums and the deductibles. The deductibles were very low ($150-250). There is a 20% coinsurance after the deductible is satisfied. Drugs are covered with a $10 copay. Since it's an indemnity plan, you can see any doctor you want in the country. So far, this is the most comprehensive plan for the least amount.

SOMA insurance plans

I got a form in the mail from Blue Cross Blue Shield in Kansas City, Does anyone know if UHS is affiliated with them or has any special relationship?
Anthony