Rec letter timeline, residency applications etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know from talking to some 4th years, the stuff to apply to residency programs start like September or whatever. If I'm applying to radiology, but have no radiology rotation (I was unable to get that elective even though it was one of my top choices), should I audition before September to get a letter and apply? That begs the other question, when do people start auditions normally? Is it anytime after step 2, go ahead?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I know from talking to some 4th years, the stuff to apply to residency programs start like September or whatever. If I'm applying to radiology, but have no radiology rotation (I was unable to get that elective even though it was one of my top choices), should I audition before September to get a letter and apply? That begs the other question, when do people start auditions normally? Is it anytime after step 2, go ahead?
Yes, you should try and do an audition right after Step 2 and get a letter if you can. If you can't get an official audition/sub-I, see if you can at least have a radiology elective. See if you can ask M4s at your school if they have any tips of someone who they know is good and reliable for LORs, as unfortunately some people just either aren't willing to write one or will tell you they will and then forget/ghost you.

I would also really try and annoy your coordinator about getting you a rotation in M3.

Sub-I/audition season is usually anytime after Step 2 if you take it the 'traditional' time around June/July.

Is it true that away rotations at MD programs dont really give you an advantage like it does at prior AOA programs? or is it specialty specific?

Is it true that away rotations at MD programs dont really give you an advantage like it does at prior AOA programs? or is it specialty specific?
Specialty specific.

Reactions: 1 user