Headlight without loupes - is there a point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorilyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a headlight now in dent school, and loupes later when I'm working. Does that sound like a good idea, or are lights not much help without loupes? Lumadent has a universal clip mount that seems to just clip onto safety glasses.

I'm thinking I'd have to keep my head still to keep the light in the right place, which would be more achievable with loupes :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of people who use a light without loupes. It's definitely worth it.

Good lighting is always useful whereas some people just aren't comfortable with loupes. That said, if you're using loupes, lights are very helpful at lower mag and mandatory at higher mag.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering getting a headlight now in dent school, and loupes later when I'm working. Does that sound like a good idea, or are lights not much help without loupes? Lumadent has a universal clip mount that seems to just clip onto safety glasses.

I'm thinking I'd have to keep my head still to keep the light in the right place, which would be more achievable with loupes :confused:

I have both loupes and a headlight from Lumadent. I ONLY use the loupes for operative and not always. I usually use the headlight on the safety glasses- it is extremely helpful in oral surgery, crown preps and any other non operative appointment. In fact, I would say that the light is actually more important than the loupes.

i think you're doing a patients a disservice if you do work sans loupes (oppr, crown/bridge, endo, etc). for surgery, removable, and things where you're dealing with macroscopic fields its not that big of an issue. i personally like using my 2.5's for perio surg, and 3.8's for oppr/crown/bridge, and can usually get away with just a head lamp for most OS procedures.

i think you're doing a patients a disservice if you do work sans loupes (oppr, crown/bridge, endo, etc). for surgery, removable, and things where you're dealing with macroscopic fields its not that big of an issue. i personally like using my 2.5's for perio surg, and 3.8's for oppr/crown/bridge, and can usually get away with just a head lamp for most OS procedures.

Agreed.......

When doing crown preps and even doing endo, where tenths of a millimeter are crucial, you can't tell me your vision is good enough without magnification. Same for operative. Definitely doing a disservice and potentially not performing at your optimal ability.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm definitely getting loupes when I can budget them in :laugh:

Agreed.......

When doing crown preps and even doing endo, where tenths of a millimeter are crucial, you can't tell me your vision is good enough without magnification. Same for operative. Definitely doing a disservice and potentially not performing at your optimal ability.

If you cut crown preps a lot, you can tell if your margin is smooth or not, it depends much more on your technique than actually being able to see the margin. Many people find that cutting crown preps with loupes distorts their "orientation" and their draw gets off, either with too much taper or an undercut. I'll lean my head in really close when I finish the margins off, but cut the initial prep without loupes the minimize taper and maximize retention.