HCA West Houston Vs. Kingwood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ponziani

Reaction score
Hey everyone, are the West Houston and Kingwood programs considered similar programs? Are they held in high regard in podiatry circles? What is the difference between the 2? I have tried to find some more recent insight into the programs, however, it is difficult considering they accept no externs. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There is some commentary in the PMSR/RRA reviews thread, and a few alumni of each post on here regularly or periodically.

Both are well above avg programs with good surgeons. West Houston has been considered the stronger program, but both are solid in terms of volume, attendings, etc. They are not large teaching hospitals where you'll have teaching service for internal med, gen surg, etc... but the point of residency is to learn F&A surgery. You could do much worse.

Attending one of the GTEF events for CME (I think they make it cheap or even free to students for the conference regiatration)... Key West and Orleans are good ones that are fairly cheap for hotel and travel. That would be a good way to meet some of the 2 program attendings and current residents. They are usually held in fun locations with pretty good info... more casual then ACFAS or PI meetings but much better scientific/surgery info than APMA.

Reactions: 1 users
I was always under the impression West Houston was stronger and unless something has changed - Kingwood drives to West Houston for education. Also, I'd rather live in West Houston/Katy whatever than Kingwood but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 users